Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
noupf

2 piece or 3 piece elbow pads?

Curious if anybody has some knowledge or insight on which stay in place better?

I've owned about 4 various pairs of warrior and ccm elbow pads in my adult hokey playing life.  I recall my CCM 3 piece elbow pads from about 20 years ago sliding off my elbow / arm all the time while playing, namely after a hard wrist shot or slap shot.

After being sick of them falling off, I found ( at the time ) Warriors top end, 2 piece, Bonafide model elbow pads on clearance at a local hockey shop and they were fantastic in terms of staying in place. Unfortunately they fell apart quickly.  I then found a pair of Warrior 2 piece pro stock elbow pads that resembled the Bonafides, that I am still using till this day, but their days are numbered.  They too have been very good.

I see that many of the brands offer 2 pc or 3 pc designs still, so i am curious if the 2 pc design like the super tacks linked below, do a better job staying in place than the 3 pc design, like the warriors linked below.

I for one don't see why there would even be a 3 pc design available, since that part of the body ( forearm and bicept ) are only two piece designs on the human body.....  Why would you want the 3 pc design ( more so the forearm segment flexibility ) on the elbow pad anyhow?

https://www.icewarehouse.com/CCM_Super_Tacks_AS1/descpage-CEPAS1.html

https://www.icewarehouse.com/Warrior_Alpha_LX_Pro/descpage-LXPEP.html

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, noupf said:

I've owned about 4 various pairs of warrior and ccm elbow pads in my adult hokey playing life.  I recall my CCM 3 piece elbow pads from about 20 years ago sliding off my elbow / arm all the time while playing, namely after a hard wrist shot or slap shot.

After being sick of them falling off, I found ( at the time ) Warriors top end, 2 piece, Bonafide model elbow pads on clearance at a local hockey shop and they were fantastic in terms of staying in place. Unfortunately they fell apart quickly.  I then found a pair of Warrior 2 piece pro stock elbow pads that resembled the Bonafides, that I am still using till this day, but their days are numbered.  They too have been very good.

I see that many of the brands offer 2 pc or 3 pc designs still, so i am curious if the 2 pc design like the super tacks linked below, do a better job staying in place than the 3 pc design, like the warriors linked below.

I for one don't see why there would even be a 3 pc design available, since that part of the body ( forearm and bicept ) are only two piece designs on the human body.....  Why would you want the 3 pc design ( more so the forearm segment flexibility ) on the elbow pad anyhow?

Thoughts?

TLDR: Get the one that fits you best, dont worry too much about if its 2-piece vs 3-piece.

I think it's more specific to the model of elbow pad and not the specification of being 2-piece or 3-piece. I have tried some two-piece models that fit great and provide good range of motion while being very secure on the arm. I have found some 3-piece models are. good as well. Best to try them on and find the one that fits best. 

From what I've found it's the strapping and the overall fit on your arm that matters more than 2pc/3pc as for how it stays on.  I've had several elbow pads over the past year or so since I'm between sizes (I'm always looking for that perfect pair and I'm pretty sure it just doesn't exist), some 3 pc some 2 pc and the ones that have fit best and been the most comfortable I've had to modify slightly by shortening the straps.  I used to always lean towards 3pc ones (RBZ, Jetspeed) but my 2 favorites are now both 2pc (19k, Super Tacks).  Just go try as many on as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noupf said:

Thoughts?

As mentioned above, I'm not sure if the 2 vs 3 pc will make much of a difference in terms of keeping the elbow in place.  It would come down to the straps and locking mechanism and each person's individual elbow shape. 

I imagine the sleeve wrap system that the Alpha LX Pro offers would be a lot more secure for most people's elbows compared to one without the sleeve.  STX surgeon elbow pads also offer a sleeve wrap system.      

While I personally seem to gravitate toward 3 piece, the elbow pads that have stayed in place the best on me were the Warrior DX pads (the LX is the successor). The sleeve and straps on those pads were unbelievable! Way too much protection for my beer league and they were about an inch too long and would interfere with my gloves, but they were as close to the perfect pad for me as I've found. The LX seemed like a downgrade in materials and build quality compared to the DX. I tried the STX RX3 since they also had a sleeve, but they would float and not stay perfectly in place so I was not a fan. For the past month or so I've been using tops with reversible sleeves that fold over the elbow pads, thereby keeping them in place. This is the best solution I've found personally. 

I use 2s Pro (2 piece) and DX (3 piece), and used to use FT1 (3 pc).  Doesn't matter...if it fits...it stays.   More important is the base layer having no-slip applications.   FWIW...the 2xPros are the most protective of the three.  I don't feel restricted by any of them.

A couple years ago, I tried a pair of Easton elbow pads. They never moved down, which was great. Easton doesn't make hockey gear anymore. I had to find some 'new old stock' Easton elbow pads on sidelineswap.com when I needed to replace my first Easton elbow pads. Their design is to lock the elbow pad to the forearm to prevent slipping with multiple straps with 2-piece elbow pads.

21 hours ago, caveman27 said:

A couple years ago, I tried a pair of Easton elbow pads. They never moved down, which was great. Easton doesn't make hockey gear anymore. I had to find some 'new old stock' Easton elbow pads on sidelineswap.com when I needed to replace my first Easton elbow pads. Their design is to lock the elbow pad to the forearm to prevent slipping with multiple straps with 2-piece elbow pads.

Unfortunately they don't work for everyone, I have a barely used pair of S13 pads that I tried but found the Reebok 18k/20k style of straps to be best for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gswift said:

Unfortunately they don't work for everyone, I have a barely used pair of S13 pads that I tried but found the Reebok 18k/20k style of straps to be best for me.

Ironically, the S13 were the first Easton elbow pads I bought and were really good for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Ironically, the S13 were the first Easton elbow pads I bought and were really good for me.

Well, if U need a pair Senior Medium, msg me.....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gswift said:

Well, if U need a pair Senior Medium, msg me.....

No thanks. I wear Senior Small. But, I have a newer pair of Easton elbow pads I bought but only played one season with.

• Like 1

I’m withholding opinion to wait and see if Virginia Tech runs tests to see how hockey elbow pads perform in football and car accidents, then I’ll know which fit me best. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, start_today said:

I’m withholding opinion to wait and see if Virginia Tech runs tests to see how hockey elbow pads perform in football and car accidents, then I’ll know which fit me best. 

Quote of the day right here 🤣

I haven't had much by way of fit issues with elbows, but I do prefer a2 piece pad as I find the 3 piece allow me too much mobility and I tend to hyperextend and hurt my elbow. Not sure why but I don't have the issue with 2 piece pads. 

3 hours ago, Miller55 said:

I haven't had much by way of fit issues with elbows, but I do prefer a2 piece pad as I find the 3 piece allow me too much mobility and I tend to hyperextend and hurt my elbow. Not sure why but I don't have the issue with 2 piece pads. 

Most 2-pc. elbow buckets are descendants of Jofa’s JDP 2-pc elbows, especially in the cap design. That kind of cap limits range of motion so you can almost, but not quite, fully extend your arms unless you cheat the straps (many people do) and sacrifice their anti-slip fit. 3-pc. elbow buckets don’t have the same degree of hyperextension protection.

Edited by flip12

On 2/4/2022 at 10:21 AM, flip12 said:

Most 2-pc. elbow buckets are descendants of Jofa’s JDP 2-pc elbows, especially in the cap design. That kind of cap limits range of motion so you can almost, but not quite, fully extend your arms unless you cheat the straps (many people do) and sacrifice their anti-slip fit. 3-pc. elbow buckets don’t have the same degree of hyperextension protection.

100%.