Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beedee

How much skate footbed should be showing when standing on it?

Me again. Thread title says it all, how much footbed should be showing when standing on it outside of the skate? In this case, I'm illustrating my current situation with a new pair of 9380 SuperTacks, Size 7 D. Stock footbed, with zero arch support shown next to my foot. And the picture on the right is my foot on the footbed. I have placed an arrow where you can barely see a tiny sliver of footbed showing between my big toe and second toe. I've worn these twice so far, once at a public skate for two hours this past Saturday, and then in my game last night where I probably skated for about 35 minutes on them. I found my toes are pressed against the caps when standing up in them, not quite as noticeable when crouched over and skating, but they do bug when standing straight up on the bench and after the whistle when play stops. Since they are so stiff, I'm not sure that I can really lace them up too much tighter without creating pain. I'm using the stock laces for what its worth. I do have wax laces, but my foot doesn't slide around at all in these. When trying them on in the shop, I didn't really notice them pressing as much as they do after actually using them. Thinking a 7.5 might be better?

pVGDUtL.jpg

Largely its a personal preference thing. My skates fit similarly to yours and i prefer them that way. you could try opening up the heel area around the tendon guard prior to putting them on, it may help your heel seat back in the skate prior to lacing them. You wouldn't have to overdo it on the tightening that way as well

• Thanks 1

You could also try something like SuperFeet, which due to the arch will pull your foot back a bit. They have a 60 day warranty so if they don't work you can return them. 

On 1/27/2022 at 1:41 PM, beedee said:

Me again. Thread title says it all, how much footbed should be showing when standing on it outside of the skate? In this case, I'm illustrating my current situation with a new pair of 9380 SuperTacks, Size 7 D. Stock footbed, with zero arch support shown next to my foot. And the picture on the right is my foot on the footbed. I have placed an arrow where you can barely see a tiny sliver of footbed showing between my big toe and second toe. I've worn these twice so far, once at a public skate for two hours this past Saturday, and then in my game last night where I probably skated for about 35 minutes on them. I found my toes are pressed against the caps when standing up in them, not quite as noticeable when crouched over and skating, but they do bug when standing straight up on the bench and after the whistle when play stops. Since they are so stiff, I'm not sure that I can really lace them up too much tighter without creating pain. I'm using the stock laces for what its worth. I do have wax laces, but my foot doesn't slide around at all in these. When trying them on in the shop, I didn't really notice them pressing as much as they do after actually using them. Thinking a 7.5 might be better?

pVGDUtL.jpg

Why not pull out your footbeds from the X2.9 to compare since you've said they're basically perfect?? You've even commented that the Tacks put you on your heels too much.....what it is that you're trying to find if you've found the ideal fit in the Vapors already?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gswift said:

Why not pull out your footbeds from the X2.9 to compare since you've said they're basically perfect?? You've even commented that the Tacks put you on your heels too much.....what it is that you're trying to find if you've found the ideal fit in the Vapors already?

You have a great point, at this moment in time I'm just starting to suffer paralysis by analysis. I did pull out the footbeds and you suggested, and they do line up almost perfectly (I'm talking within' 1mm of each other). The Vapor feels better all around, heel sits deeper, toes don't brush the caps, they are the winner for me, I'm done. SuperTacks go back this weekend. Thank you all for your input over the past few weeks!

Edited by beedee
  • Like 3

As mentioned it's preference. I personally like my toes feathering the toe cap when standing up, but when skating and ankle flexes forward, toes pull away. 

• Like 1