Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ChrisS8899

Hyperlite Tuuk holder blade fitment ?

Hey guys , wondering if anyone else has ran into this with tuuk's . As I think it's passable ,but wondering how common this is . Skates are bauer hyperlite's,  bought new and opted for no steel with them (used ls5 carbon steel I already had) . On one skate I had a very hard time getting the rear of the steel to click in the second lock click phase . Finally with a little massaging & wd40 I got it to click in . No movement with the bauer tool once clicked in.  

However I did take notice that the trigger does not return to it's original position as the other skate does (varies better & worse depending on the steel I try). It's not a huge difference but enough to make note of . Can still see part of the semi circle mark on the trigger - once the steel is in but slightly less then the other skate. Hoping they'll settle in and its not a big deal. Would rather not deal with the warranty/down time if I dont have to . 

Edited by ChrisS8899

I had those very same problems with my last pair of Bauer's. I was told by numerous people, if you can get it to "click" you should be good. Steel was very rough to get in or out at first. Not as bad as what you described, but close. They broke in over time. FWIW, getting steel in and out isn't much easier on the CCM holder. I had to use the Bauer tool the first few times. 

Hopefully its just new parts that need some wearing in and not a misaligned holder. 

42 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I had those very same problems with my last pair of Bauer's. I was told by numerous people, if you can get it to "click" you should be good. Steel was very rough to get in or out at first. Not as bad as what you described, but close. They broke in over time. FWIW, getting steel in and out isn't much easier on the CCM holder. I had to use the Bauer tool the first few times. 

Hopefully its just new parts that need some wearing in and not a misaligned holder. 

Thanks for info. Yeah I am getting the click , wasn't at first . Has gotten better after trying it a few times. Still not perfect, but will get some time in them and keep an eye on it .

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

FWIW, getting steel in and out isn't much easier on the CCM holder. I had to use the Bauer tool the first few times. 

Can’t speak to the Tuuk issue, but coming from Bauer to CCM, I was blown away by how much more difficult the CCM holder is to put steel on. I literally have to put the skate on the ground and press down with all my body weight before the crank knob will allow me to tighten the steel. Unscrews and pops out no problem

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Given what you describe I would want to know that the holder alignment isn't off.  

Continued quality work by a member here… 🙄

3 hours ago, Westside said:

Can’t speak to the Tuuk issue, but coming from Bauer to CCM, I was blown away by how much more difficult the CCM holder is to put steel on. I literally have to put the skate on the ground and press down with all my body weight before the crank knob will allow me to tighten the steel. Unscrews and pops out no problem

I've noticed a few, not many, issues like that but only when they're not at room temperature. Either warm from sharpening or cold from being on ice. 

But of course it could be an alignment issue for the OP as well

Huh, noticed something similar on my skates the other day, also Hyperlite. Have been on them since last summer, ls5 steel, but hadn’t messed with the blades at all (shop installed them)… changed over to Flare blades. They seemed to click in like, okayish, but yeah the triggers didn’t look like they were fully snapped back to their original positions after the blade clicked. Wasn’t sure what to make of it, but didn’t seem likely they would come back out, so I skated them a few hours without any issue…

Other thing I noticed was walking around the rink area I could feel/hear the blades moving around a little bit in the holder… not so much that I was worried about them coming apart, but enough to make me think of the posts on here about wobbly blade fitment… might try and shim them with steel stock or something; the slight side to side play is noticeable enough off the ice to make me want to eliminate the inconsistency…

Actually, looking at the, again now, yeah there’s definitely some wiggle side to side in the holder… it seems minor, but I figure if the 1mm extra width on the flare blade makes a big difference, a half millimeter worth of play to either side is definitely worth eliminating.

Edited by muxed
Add note

2 hours ago, muxed said:

Huh, noticed something similar on my skates the other day, also Hyperlite. Have been on them since last summer, ls5 steel, but hadn’t messed with the blades at all (shop installed them)… changed over to Flare blades. They seemed to click in like, okayish, but yeah the triggers didn’t look like they were fully snapped back to their original positions after the blade clicked. Wasn’t sure what to make of it, but didn’t seem likely they would come back out, so I skated them a few hours without any issue…

Other thing I noticed was walking around the rink area I could feel/hear the blades moving around a little bit in the holder… not so much that I was worried about them coming apart, but enough to make me think of the posts on here about wobbly blade fitment… might try and shim them with steel stock or something; the slight side to side play is noticeable enough off the ice to make me want to eliminate the inconsistency…

Actually, looking at the, again now, yeah there’s definitely some wiggle side to side in the holder… it seems minor, but I figure if the 1mm extra width on the flare blade makes a big difference, a half millimeter worth of play to either side is definitely worth eliminating.

Yeah very similar here on the trigger position , nice to know it's not just me lol . Yeah so I tried different steels (all bauer) just to see , and it does affect how far the trigger comes back out once snapped in . So seems to be dependent on that in this case. Nothing is a big difference talking minuscule mm's but enough to notice . 

My ls5's which have a season or so got the mushiest click of the bunch in the beginning .  Was given a pair of the carbonlite steel but afraid to use them with all the breakage stories. Table ornament for now. May just roll with the pulse ti steel time being.

Edited by ChrisS8899

The minimal time I've had tuuk edge holders a couple years ago, the steel that actually fit best were Bauer steel. Step had issues. Tydan had issues. Mainly with movement. They all locked in fine but some harder than others to get in. The easiest was the Bauer LS3 steel I had. Clicked in nice and no blade movement. At the time I just figured Bauer Bauer steel was made by Bauer for the edge holder it was just a better fit and more within spec. Also the step notch that  locks into the trigger is shaped a bit different than Bauer steel. This doesnt mean much to you because your steel is Bauer. 

Personally, the only tuuks I'd choose to use are the ls2 holders. And with ccm I'd give the xs a shot but currently using the ab 4.0 on my trues. I'm old school and prefer a bolt locking my steel in place. I know my next skates I'll probably try the xs though as I'm a big fan of ccm. Any next skates will likely be the true catalyst though but will slap some xs holders on em. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisS8899 said:

Has anyone been using the carbonlite blades without breaking them yet ? I skate a couple times a week in top tier beer leagues ha . Wondering how long they'll last .. 

IMO the Carbonlite blades are a very poor investment. For starters, the actually quality of steel is very poor, even worse I have found than basic LS or LS2 steel. The carbon piece also presents many issues. Too many times I've seen them come into my shop and the carbon upper has been completely mangled by someone who is not qualified to sharpen them. Even as an experienced sharpener they present a bit of a hassle in terms of properly aligning them on the jig so as not to damage the carbon. I haven't seen any break/suffer major damage from regular on-ice use, but the life of these blades is very short as there is not much steel to work with when you buy them initially. I have had players who bought Carbonlites at the start of the year and had to come in for replacements during the season because they didn't have enough blade left.  I generally recommend LS Pulse TI to any of my customers who are looking for a premium quality Bauer blade. I have found that Step Blacksteel is the best blade that I have personally used, but it is pretty hard to come by now in a Bauer mold since CCM acquired Step. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to update on this. Ended up shimming the flare blades with stainless shim stock I had sitting around; got them to not wobble side to side… temporarily. In the few weeks since (maybe 10-15 hours?) they loosened up again. Deeply unimpressed. I’m not that big/heavy, 170 something and 6’ 1”; skate well but not likely generating the kinds of forces I’d expect to need to wear out a set of holders in 6-7 months. I’ve only had the blades out of the holders once or twice (first to swap them, second to shim)…

The wobble is significant at room temperature and noticeable even cold… makes everything feel kind of disconnected/uncertain while skating, and they seem to catch more often than they did when they were new originally, or after I shimmed them the first time.

I don’t really see a way around this except to get the holders replaced with something stiffer/more durable, even if I have to get another set of blades. I could probably check with Bauer to see if there’s anything under warranty… but that seems like that would result in new skates (rather not thanks), new holders (and another replacement 6 months later?), or downtime (no good).

On 3/16/2022 at 12:04 PM, muxed said:

Just wanted to update on this. Ended up shimming the flare blades with stainless shim stock I had sitting around; got them to not wobble side to side… temporarily. In the few weeks since (maybe 10-15 hours?) they loosened up again. Deeply unimpressed. I’m not that big/heavy, 170 something and 6’ 1”; skate well but not likely generating the kinds of forces I’d expect to need to wear out a set of holders in 6-7 months. I’ve only had the blades out of the holders once or twice (first to swap them, second to shim)…

The wobble is significant at room temperature and noticeable even cold… makes everything feel kind of disconnected/uncertain while skating, and they seem to catch more often than they did when they were new originally, or after I shimmed them the first time.

I don’t really see a way around this except to get the holders replaced with something stiffer/more durable, even if I have to get another set of blades. I could probably check with Bauer to see if there’s anything under warranty… but that seems like that would result in new skates (rather not thanks), new holders (and another replacement 6 months later?), or downtime (no good).

The store you bought them from can open a warranty claim with Bauer to get you new holders.