Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
noupf

Need new shell -CCM PP10 vs PP12

Found some shells I want to grab on pro stock hockey's web site and one is a PP10 and one is a PP12.  Does anybody know if one fits differently or measures differently than the other? I'm 6'3, 230 lbs with thicker thighs, so I prefer my shells to be a little more loose than snug.

I've never heard of a PP12 before so had to go look... PSH lists it as a girdle shell, so my guess would be the PP10 would be a bit looser/more boxy since it's made to fit better over pants.  I've always been under the impression pant shells are slightly boxier than girdle shells but I could be wrong lol, most girdle shells have a little extra thin pad on the back of the thighs and usually go a little higher (PP90's even have some kidney protection), where as the pant shells are usually just covers, sometimes with more mesh gusseting in the back.

Confusing as PSH has two PP12 shells listed on their site; one looks like the regular PP10, the other is a girdle shell. So two totally different shells under the same name.  

I asked a similar question a while back about the difference between PP10 and PP15; there was none. Could simply be CCM updating naming conventions like what they've done with the 9K shells vs PP90 shells. 

16 hours ago, noupf said:

Found some shells I want to grab on pro stock hockey's web site and one is a PP10 and one is a PP12.  Does anybody know if one fits differently or measures differently than the other? I'm 6'3, 230 lbs with thicker thighs, so I prefer my shells to be a little more loose than snug.

PP10 has elastic inside leg section. PP12 has zipper on inside leg.

15 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I've never heard of a PP12 before so had to go look... PSH lists it as a girdle shell, so my guess would be the PP10 would be a bit looser/more boxy since it's made to fit better over pants.  I've always been under the impression pant shells are slightly boxier than girdle shells but I could be wrong lol, most girdle shells have a little extra thin pad on the back of the thighs and usually go a little higher (PP90's even have some kidney protection), where as the pant shells are usually just covers, sometimes with more mesh gusseting in the back.

Wow, learn something new every day.  I thought all shells were created equal.  Had no idea there were shells made for girdle systems and shells made for pants ( if i read your comment correctly ).  I'm looking for a shell to go over my Super Tacks girdle, which is a little on the bulky side.  I ended up selling the Super Tacks shell that came with my girdle as it was just way to restrictive when i put it on.  I guess a pant shell would give me that little extra room i want? 

EDIT:  I see they only have two listing for PP12's and they are not remotely the same.  They have a PP12 from the Winnipeg jets that looks like the tacks shell i sold from my girdle system, the other PP12 listed looks identical to the PP10.  I'm thinking somebody made a typo.

Edited by noupf

9 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

PP10 has elastic inside leg section. PP12 has zipper on inside leg.

I think you are correct, but its not in the picture on their website of the ones i was gonna grab...  They have 2 listings for PP12 and one has zippers and one doesn't.  I'm thinking typo on PSH website

https://www.prostockhockey.com/player-protective/shells/size-xl-ccm-pp12-pant-shell-team-stock-toledo-walleye/

Edited by noupf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, noupf said:

They have a PP12 from the Winnipeg jets that looks like the tacks shell i sold from my girdle system, the other PP12 listed looks identical to the PP10.  I'm thinking somebody made a typo.

Email them, they have been pretty responsive to me in the past with product questions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noupf said:

Wow, learn something new every day.  I thought all shells were created equal.  Had no idea there were shells made for girdle systems and shells made for pants ( if i read your comment correctly ).  I'm looking for a shell to go over my Super Tacks girdle, which is a little on the bulky side.  I ended up selling the Super Tacks shell that came with my girdle as it was just way to restrictive when i put it on.  I guess a pant shell would give me that little extra room i want? 

I wear a ST girdle as well, I was in a 9K for a while but found the ST to be lighter and more protective.  I only had one Tacks style shell and found it did seem a little more on the slim side than the 9K/PP90 shells I was used to.  One other thing that makes some shells "girdle" shells is they'll have some velcro tabs that some girdles can attach to, I guess that's useful if you only play on one team or something but I have yet to find a practical use for them myself.  I have some 9K/PP90 shells, Warrior Covert shells, and a couple of Bauer PP10 style pant shells, all will fit over a girdle and I've found everything fits different even when marked the same lol (in the PP90's one medium was longer and baggier than another medium even though both tags were marked the same, ended up selling the larger one), so nothing is definite.  If you want baggier, I have found the Warrior Dynasty pro stock ones fit a but more on the boxy side and are also usually a little easier to find and sometimes cheaper (HockeyMonkey has them at times on clearance).

3 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I wear a ST girdle as well, I was in a 9K for a while but found the ST to be lighter and more protective.  I only had one Tacks style shell and found it did seem a little more on the slim side than the 9K/PP90 shells I was used to.  One other thing that makes some shells "girdle" shells is they'll have some velcro tabs that some girdles can attach to, I guess that's useful if you only play on one team or something but I have yet to find a practical use for them myself.  I have some 9K/PP90 shells, Warrior Covert shells, and a couple of Bauer PP10 style pant shells, all will fit over a girdle and I've found everything fits different even when marked the same lol (in the PP90's one medium was longer and baggier than another medium even though both tags were marked the same, ended up selling the larger one), so nothing is definite.  If you want baggier, I have found the Warrior Dynasty pro stock ones fit a but more on the boxy side and are also usually a little easier to find and sometimes cheaper (HockeyMonkey has them at times on clearance).

Yea man, this ST girdle is the best girdle / pant I've ever owned.  Light, mobile and very protective with just a little more bulk than what i upgraded from.  I was using a Bauer Total One girdle that I had for the last 5-6 years.....boy o boy was that thing lacking in so many ways compared to the ST.  I think ill grab those PP10's from PST and see how they fit.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

Edited by noupf

Regarding the ST girdle and shell, I found either using a PP90 or the PPTK one size larger was best. I just ordered the Jetspeed girdle and a PPTK shell one size up, both of which should be here next week. I never liked the PP10 shell over the girdle. The pants shells are way too big and too long in my opinion. If you have the PPTK shell with a matching size (large shell on large girdle) it's very slim and restrictive.

Obviously it's all personal preference, but I didn't find much difference between PPTK and PP90 size wise. I'm using the same size girdle and shell (medium). I took these photos a few months back: