Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
flip12

Were Innovative Novius OPS tapered?

I did my best to research first, found old topics from the MSH’s early days, but didn’t find my answer so I’m wondering if people here can help out.

There’s a super cheap like-new Novius I want to convert to a tapered shaft if possible. I just want to know if Novius OPS were all tapered or if they were both tapered and standard like I read from the old posts that Novius shafts were.

eBay.de-free listings. I thought for 20€+ship it was a good deal for a whippy shaft if it plays similar to my first gen. Dolomite.

The curve looks nice, otherwise too!

Gerade bei #eBayKleinanzeigen gefunden. Wie findest du das?
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/eishockeyschlaeger-innovative-novius-one-piece-neu-rechts/1968920100-230-7660

Edited by flip12

What's the shaft shape like? Concave forehand side, convex backhand? Does it have that profile inside as well if you chop off the blade?

I don’t recall all the details, but the Boron Spine was built into the shaft, which made it flex differently on the forehand as opposed to the backhand. I suppose I’m theory you could remove the blade and use it upside down (in regards to the graphics

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I don’t recall all the details, but the Boron Spine was built into the shaft, which made it flex differently on the forehand as opposed to the backhand. I suppose I’m theory you could remove the blade and use it upside down (in regards to the graphics

Blast from the past thread for reference: 

I loved my novius but I do remember torquing issues, I don’t think I ever took a slap shot with it. Not that you needed to, the 300 flex with its whip & kick point got off shots very quickly with great velocity. For me it was also a very durable shaft, seemed like it lasted forever until one of the walls on the shaft split from replacing blades.

• Like 1

My curiosity drove me over to the Wayback Machine, and I found ePuck's archived marketing spiel for the shaft. Now the Boron Spine's handedness makes perfect sense:

"The Tapered Novius represents the pinnacle of performance in shaft design.  It combines the awesome construction of the Novius shaft with the 1 Piece Stick performance of a Tapered shaft.  In a word:  AWESOME!

The Details
Through extensive research and modeling, Innovative realized that a shaft is all about loading up energy and then releasing energy.  The Novius is designed to do both of these.  Like a compound bow that is easier to draw back than a standard bow, the Novius is easier to load up than other comparable shafts.  After the loading phase, the energy is released into the puck more efficiently than other shafts as well.  This is accomplished through a design that is completely unique in the industry.  The Novius uses a Boron spine on the back side of the shaft (the side closest to your hand) to stiffen this side of the shaft.  The front side of the shaft is made from comparatively softer composites.  In effect, when loaded, the front side of the shaft can more easily ''stretch'' as you bend it into an arc during your shot.  Upon release, the stiff Boron spine on the backside of the shaft delivers a spring like power that can launch the puck 15-20% harder than other top of the line shafts.  A double concave shape on the lower 1/3 of the shaft focuses this flex low to reduce torque and increase accuracy.

Right or Left in a Shaft?
Yes - unlike any other shaft - you must choose a ''left'' or ''right'' on the Novius.  This is because the Boron spine being located on the back side of the shaft means that you must hold the shaft correctly to utilize its benefits."

So you're saying I may just have a wicked backhand if I reverse the shaft...I'm tempted.

My Dolomite's a 75 and it shoots nicely, never felt it torque on me and go nuts or anything. The firmer/softer split on flex sounds interesting. I may just have to give it a try.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1