Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mikeK45

Prosharp profile pitch

I have a couple new sets of extra steel, have been wanting to try a couple quad profiles but have a question. I have only ever skated on the stock CCM blades which to my understanding are a 10' radius. I only sharpen on a sparx and change them every now and then so I would think the radius stay pretty consistent. I tried Step Steel Black yesterday, and it felt very odd to me even though they are also supposed to be 10' also. I don't know if it was the height, extra material on the toe/heel or what, but it was almost as if the balance point was different. More forward and forcing me toward my heels. Not being used to the blades, it was hard to skate and felt very unstable.  I could tell however that the quality of the steel was just great.

I want to send in 3 sets of stock ccm blades today to get profiled. I like (am used to) the pitch of the stock blades. The plan is to find a profile I like, then get that on a better set of steel. I see that the quad profiles have a built in 17-20mm pitch. I'm wondering if I should just get the pitch taken out, or just go with it. I guess I could send in another set of blades and try one (maybe 0.5) with and without the pitch. Does anyone have experience with and without the pitch on any one of the quad profiles? Thanks

I'm not an expert, and there are a couple guys on here who own hockey shops that do the pro-sharp profiles, but you are correct that the profiles have pitch built in.  However, to my understanding, its the skate and or holder that gives you pictch, not the blades you are using necessarily.  I am currently using the ellipse 1 profile and had the pitch taken out bc my grafs skates ( again to my understanding ) already had a bit of forward pitch to the way they were designed.  I bounced that off the guy who did my profiling on here and he agreed, so we did a neutral pitch.  I've never felt more stable on my skates in my life.

It's important to better understand that pitch and pivot point is built into some templates. If you like a neutral pivot point and no pitch, any competent shop can put any profile of your choosing (quint/quad/triple/dual/single) radius profile without altering the pivot pint or pitch. Just make sure to specify such.

The store I own does it all the time for players but there are many other as well. Not sure where you are located.