Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I know I'm opening this up for insults and jokes, and that's OK, I kind of just need to vent, and maybe get some advice from you all after you get your zings in.

The last three games, I have pulled almost the identical play of hitting a rut with my right skate and then falling hard on my right hip/ass cheek, and this third time, it hurts guys. I'm assuming a very deep bruise in said cheek, but hurts to the point it was waking me up last night when I would roll over.

I'm looking at my shell today, and nothing seems worn out, but is it time for new pants? Is that even the problem, or have I just been unlucky falling on the same exact spot three weeks in a row?

Again, feel free to get your yucks out, and if you have any suggestions, let me have it. Hope this made you chuckle.

What model pant are you using? Is there existing padding where you are hurt? If so, it's not difficult to add supplementary padding. Another option is to wear compression shorts with built in padding in the area you are having issues with. 

My current pants are CCM Vector 06. Never had this problem before when I would fall. And there is padding there, but I'm wondering if maybe they're too big on me now and the shell is shifting on me when I am going down.

I've hit this spot a few times over the years, it's an area that doesn't really have any padding in any pants/girdles.  Basically where the ass meets the side of the leg/thigh sort of, it's below/behind the big thigh padding but to the side of the tailbone padding, at most you'll only have some soft foam there which doesn't help much.  Once it's bruised it's gonna hurt for a few weeks, it's a rough spot with muscle and is prone to being irritated through movement and basic living (sleeping, sitting, etc.).  Whenever it has happened to me it never fails I'd fall in the same area in the next game and that would make it worse.  There really isn't a pant/girdle that offers heavy protection there (and if there was it would look like a giant diaper), so your best bet is to rest and maybe try something like a sliding short that was mentioned above.

I've hit this spot a few times over the years, it's an area that doesn't really have any padding in any pants/girdles.  Basically where the ass meets the side of the leg/thigh sort of, it's below/behind the big thigh padding but to the side of the tailbone padding, at most you'll only have some soft foam there which doesn't help much.  Once it's bruised it's gonna hurt for a few weeks, it's a rough spot with muscle and is prone to being irritated through movement and basic living (sleeping, sitting, etc.).  Whenever it has happened to me it never fails I'd fall in the same area in the next game and that would make it worse.  There really isn't a pant/girdle that offers heavy protection there (and if there was it would look like a giant diaper), so your best bet is to rest and maybe try something like a sliding short that was mentioned above.

That's a bingo. It's a sweet spot where there is and isn't big padding, depending on how I high I hike the pants up. I'm going to check out those shock doctor slide shorts I think. Fortunately I have a week off from game to try and rest it up. Thanks dude!

• Like 1

Howdy,

This sounds like what caused me to go to Easton Pro 15 pants a few years back.  Same type of situation... a couple falls that hit the same spot on my ass/hip and it was seriously sore.

The Eastons did have better padding, but I think the main thing was just being unlucky to have a couple falls that hit the exact wrong spot close together.  Add in some pants that didn't have quite as much protection and it was a serious "Pain in the ass".  🙂

I've since moved on from those pants to a Tacks 7092 Girdle & Shell, just because of how extremely heavy they were.  I realize I'm giving up a bit of protection though.

Anyway, I'd 2nd the idea of sliding shorts / whatever.  The primary thing there is that its yet another under-garmet.  Shock doctor does make a padded hockey jock though that might combine the best of both worlds.  https://www.hockeymonkey.com/shock-doctor-hockey-jock-591-sk-sht-cup-sr.html  I have one and like it fine.  I replaced the 'aircore' cup with a spare Mueller though and find it fits better /closer.  YMMV.

Mark

Edited by marka

2 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

My current pants are CCM Vector 06. Never had this problem before when I would fall. And there is padding there, but I'm wondering if maybe they're too big on me now and the shell is shifting on me when I am going down.

Yeah, I know the spot. If you lost weight, which I assume you did since you mentioned how they feel big on you, you may have lost some of your natural padding in that area. 

The shock doctor padded shorts helped. I've also taken loose padding and put it under my compression layer.

11 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

I know I'm opening this up for insults and jokes, and that's OK, I kind of just need to vent, and maybe get some advice from you all after you get your zings in.

The last three games, I have pulled almost the identical play of hitting a rut with my right skate and then falling hard on my right hip/ass cheek, and this third time, it hurts guys. I'm assuming a very deep bruise in said cheek, but hurts to the point it was waking me up last night when I would roll over.

I'm looking at my shell today, and nothing seems worn out, but is it time for new pants? Is that even the problem, or have I just been unlucky falling on the same exact spot three weeks in a row?

Again, feel free to get your yucks out, and if you have any suggestions, let me have it. Hope this made you chuckle.

You should have padding on the side of your hips for checks, falls, slashes, shots, to where you aren't getting injured from a fall. Maybe your pants are cheap or the foam in the padding has worn out. If you look at a hockey girdle, the padding you see is also in your pants. Cheaper pants have no padding on the back of the thighs but that's not where you are falling. I would suggest getting new pants. Beefier ones.

Check this out.

https://www.prostockhockey.com/pants/

There are pro-level pants that are under $100. I am a gear whore and I've shopped there before, but that's not important for you to know. The CCM pants with an X in the code, like HPUCLX or HP45X will have more padding than the usual pair of pro-stock pants.

I've never found pants (even pro stock) that don't have some gap between the pads in that area. Even the compression shorts with built-in padding covers the wrong spot instead of right where you're talking about. That's why I slip loose pads under a pair of regular compression shorts. I wear them against my skin so that the sweat keeps them exactly where they need to be.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, YesLanges said:

I've never found pants (even pro stock) that don't have some gap between the pads in that area. Even the compression shorts with built-in padding covers the wrong spot instead of right where you're talking about. That's why I slip loose pads under a pair of regular compression shorts. I wear them against my skin so that the sweat keeps them exactly where they need to be.

Thats why I like girdles. Keeps everything in place and close to the body. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YesLanges said:

I've played goalie for years. Pucks seem to find areas with zero padding.