Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beedee

Seeking Pro-Stock pants recommendations

In my beer league game last Wednesday night I had my feet taken out from me unsuspectingly when going for a puck behind our net. This caused me to fall and land pretty hard on my right side, with the area just below my right butt cheek taking the brunt of the fall (right elbow absorbed it too). I was very sore to say the least. The area throbbed, but I was able to finish the game. I'm still a tad sore today, but this event has sparked a search for new pants.

My current pants are Bauer S29's, sized Medium (I'm a 34"-36" waist depending on brands). They are pretty lightweight, mobile and offer nice rib protection, decent thigh protection but I feel like the tailbone and rear-end protection is lacking. I came from some old Easton S17's which were tanks in comparison to my current S29's. The S17's had so much padding everywhere! I wanted to see what you guys think might suit what I'm looking for. I play D in a mid-level league once a week, with an occasional pick-up game thrown in the mix. I've been looking on SideLineSwap as of last night and found some Nexus pro-stock (college team) that look pretty nice. Only hang up is, I'd be buying them without trying them on (duh) and without really seeing what the inside of the pants look like. Most ads only have pictures of the fronts and backs. Assuming the waist sizing is similar to my Bauer S29's, but more volume since its a Nexus pant? The S29's fit pretty snug. I'm just curious how much more padding/protection they'll offer than my S29's? Is there any other models I should be looking at? I tried on a teammates CCM Pro-Stock pants a couple weeks ago, I believe they were a HPTK31 model? They sat a bit lower on my waistline than my S29's, so it felt weird. That said, maybe something that sits lower might be better for protection? I feel like when I pull my S29's all the way up, the rear-end and tailbone padding sits too high.f

Maybe I'll check out some padded compression shorts to supplement the S29's?

Edited by beedee

Idk, I really try to avoid pro stock anything. You don't have any idea what the build specs or custom alterations were. If you can see them in person, great. SidelineSwap? What do you do if you receive them and they absolutely won't work?

In general the Nexus pro stock should provide more build quality and protection than the S29, but will they fit? The S29's can't have much to offer. I've got a pair of 2S Pro pants here now and they're not super impressive.

Edited by 218hockey
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Idk, I really try to avoid pro stock anything. You don't have any idea what the build specs or custom alterations were. If you can see them in person, great. SidelineSwap? What do you do if you receive them and they absolutely won't work?

In general the Nexus pro stock should provide more build quality and protection than the S29, but will they fit? The S29's can't have much to offer. I've got a pair of 2S Pro pants here now and they're not super impressive.

Yup, too risky imho to buy something site unseen, and especially not being able to try it on. Unfortunately for me, I gave away my S17's awhile back once I got the S29's. Mega face-palm. There are a couple good Play-it-Again sports in my area that have pretty solid selections of hockey gear I may go check out and see what I can find.

20 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Do what everyone else does, relist them. I've had to do it a few times.

Pro stock gear is fairly common these days. It's not hard find out what it is. If you can't, there's always another pair. Never cared for pro stock pants. They always felt stiff and heavy to me.

Edited by stick9

9 hours ago, beedee said:

In my beer league game last Wednesday night I had my feet taken out from me unsuspectingly when going for a puck behind our net. This caused me to fall and land pretty hard on my right side, with the area just below my right butt cheek taking the brunt of the fall (right elbow absorbed it too). I was very sore to say the least. The area throbbed, but I was able to finish the game. I'm still a tad sore today, but this event has sparked a search for new pants.

My current pants are Bauer S29's, sized Medium (I'm a 34"-36" waist depending on brands). They are pretty lightweight, mobile and offer nice rib protection, decent thigh protection but I feel like the tailbone and rear-end protection is lacking. I came from some old Easton S17's which were tanks in comparison to my current S29's. The S17's had so much padding everywhere! I wanted to see what you guys think might suit what I'm looking for. I play D in a mid-level league once a week, with an occasional pick-up game thrown in the mix. I've been looking on SideLineSwap as of last night and found some Nexus pro-stock (college team) that look pretty nice. Only hang up is, I'd be buying them without trying them on (duh) and without really seeing what the inside of the pants look like. Most ads only have pictures of the fronts and backs. Assuming the waist sizing is similar to my Bauer S29's, but more volume since its a Nexus pant? The S29's fit pretty snug. I'm just curious how much more padding/protection they'll offer than my S29's? Is there any other models I should be looking at? I tried on a teammates CCM Pro-Stock pants a couple weeks ago, I believe they were a HPTK31 model? They sat a bit lower on my waistline than my S29's, so it felt weird. That said, maybe something that sits lower might be better for protection? I feel like when I pull my S29's all the way up, the rear-end and tailbone padding sits too high.f

Try prostockhockey.com.  I wear CCM 520echl pants which are now CCM hp35 pants and warrior covert pants.  

what sort of fit do you like?   Do you want a roomy fit or something more tapered.  I haven’t worn retail pants in years but I’d go with a nexus pro pants size large if you want them slightly on the bigger size. 

I wanted to get beefier pants in the tailbone area and i got CCM pro stock pants. Pretty much satisfied with them but their mediums are a bit tighter than Bauer and Warrior mediums.

As for not knowing what you are getting, you are likely going to get the bare minimum that are with the retail pants equivalent. If the CCM pants' code has an X in it, you are getting more padding than the retail version. I didn't get one with an X

It sounds counter-intuitive but I wore a Warrior Projekt girdle for many years after having similar issues with hip bruising from contact/falls (top-level men's league in Australia is inexplicably only full contact), and had zero issues with falls since that time. The only gap in protection I found was there was no padding at the waist belt, which has led to a few pointers from crosschecks or the boards where the belt was the main point of contact.

FWIW I snagged a pair of Warrior QR Pro pants (I think that's the model) on sale, and am currently on the hunt for a new girdle as I do not feel they have as much padding at the hips, and the hip coverage part is annoying when skating.

I have the same issues with the hip pointers and butt muscle pain when I get dumped.  Currently using Super Tacks Girdle that has zero padding on the butt.  I think manufacturers think all Hockey players have giant Glutes like the pros so they don't put any padding there...  In any case, i'm thinking of going with padded snowboarding shorts (something like https://www.tortoisepads.com/) under a lightweight pant (maybe Bauer Hyperlite) to cover all bases.

T2-Shorts-with-pads-profile.png?fit=720,

I have the CCM UCLP's Bruins pro stock, in an XL +1. The last pants I was wearing was the 7092 tacks girdle in a medium, and really should've been a large. I'm 5'11" and usually in the 195lb dad bod range. I love the UCLPs, just wish they weren't a +1 length but I can live with it.  They're are fantastic, obviously overkill padding wise for men's league, but I find with the u foams it's not like they're overly heavy.  I never used to step in to want to block any shots really but have no problem playing net front D these days, they're great.  Definitely have read they fit 1 size small and to order up a size and I can see that as true.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 12:49 PM, beedee said:

You should be in a large pant if you have a 34 waist.  Might feel better 

• Like 1

Again not wanting to start a new thread (sorry OP, mods please delete of unnecessary)

I'm currently in Warrior Syko shorts and I love them tbh. They are showing their age and I am wanting something better. However I have no idea what 'style' they are, ie tapered, traditional etc. Any ideas guys? 

• Like 1

I wear HP31 pants from the CHL. They’re a size too large on me but the padding on the hips is great. I’ve fallen a few times and it didn’t hurt at all. They do fit kinda bulky and can take time to break in. 

On 12/7/2022 at 8:50 AM, Left Wing King said:

Again not wanting to start a new thread (sorry OP, mods please delete of unnecessary)

I'm currently in Warrior Syko shorts and I love them tbh. They are showing their age and I am wanting something better. However I have no idea what 'style' they are, ie tapered, traditional etc. Any ideas guys? 

Do yourself a favor and try some modern pants on and see what you like the best. FWIW, pro-stock pants aren't always the best option. Nor is a girdle. 

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

Do yourself a favor and try some modern pants on and see what you like the best. FWIW, pro-stock pants aren't always the best option. Nor is a girdle. 

I am aware of that, tbf it is the best option, but I was hoping someone would know what style that was too narrow down my options! Thanks for the replies though

The warrior covert qre pro has excellent back/tailbone protection among pro stock pants.

the lower back guard is the thickest of any pro stock pant ive seen, at least an inch thick and very sturdy. then the tailbone is a curved one-piece pastic insert with foam, kind of like the shells they use for the hip except shaped to protect the tailbone. 

the ccm hptk x or xp is also good. there is a nice thick segmented dense foam section for the tailbone. the only drawback is the section is quite narrow, so if your pants shifted during the fall you could miss it completely on impact. i will note that these pants are otherwise not super protective imo. relatively small hip shells, and not much padding except on the hip, front thighs and kidney/waist. i think the reason for their popularity among nhl players is their mobility--there is decent protection on high risk areas, but they are not overbuilt like the hp70 x (which, by comparison, has the largest hip shells of any pro stock pant, and hard shell protection on both the front and back of the thigh)

no pant is really designed to protect the tailbone if you fall straight downward though, like hitting the ice in an upright seated position. the padded shorts like tortoise pads would help somewhat with that type of fall, because the tailbone protection wraps around the glute rather than hanging behind. ideally, if you're falling backward, try to hit the ice with your whole back (but not your head). if youre really serious about injury prevention, learning a bit of judo would go a long way. obviously you cant control how you fall every time on the ice, but those judo guys are really good at controlling their falls so that they distribute their weight on impact.