Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
skates73

Bauer LS Pulse vs Pulse Ti Edge Runners

Hi, does anyone know specific differences as far as performance of the LS Pulse Edge vs LS Pulse Ti Edge (speed, agility, control, grip etc)?  Is one higher (blade height) than the other?  There's a significant price difference.  Also I hear the Carbonlites are terrible.  

Wonder if there's a difference in ease of sharpening for the technician or blade durability (some runners break/crack easier than others).  I hear people have issues with the Carbonlites.  

9 hours ago, skates73 said:

Hi, does anyone know specific differences as far as performance of the LS Pulse Edge vs LS Pulse Ti Edge (speed, agility, control, grip etc)?  Is one higher (blade height) than the other?  There's a significant price difference.  Also I hear the Carbonlites are terrible.  

Wonder if there's a difference in ease of sharpening for the technician or blade durability (some runners break/crack easier than others).  I hear people have issues with the Carbonlites.  

Carbonlite steel is terrible. It doesn't sharpen well and I have seen a lot of breakage.

Pulse TI vs Pulse, they are both the same set of steel. The TI then has a PVD coating applied after polishing. They sharpen the same and feel the same on the ice.

The PVD coating supposedly helps with better edge retention. I personally think its more for looks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PBH said:

Carbonlite steel is terrible. It doesn't sharpen well and I have seen a lot of breakage.

Pulse TI vs Pulse, they are both the same set of steel. The TI then has a PVD coating applied after polishing. They sharpen the same and feel the same on the ice.

The PVD coating supposedly helps with better edge retention. I personally think its more for looks.

Thank you, I kind of had a feeling it wouldn't be worth the extra $70 for the Pulse TI over the regular Pulse.

9 hours ago, PBH said:

Disagree with this.  I find the Pulse TI to hold an edge longer and resists getting dinged up better than LS Pulse.

2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Disagree with this.  I find the Pulse TI to hold an edge longer and resists getting dinged up better than LS Pulse.

Is it just the edge holding longer or would you say, if both pairs (Pulse and Pulse Ti) right off a fresh skate sharpening would feel equal in performance or does the Ti grip the ice better and better for agility.  I'm now hearing Pulse Ti is grippier on the ice, better for lateral agility and players who take more strides (quick crossovers etc) whereas regular Pulse glides a bit better with less grippy feel and better for smoother skaters who take less strides but more smooth gliding skaters.  Supposedly a significantly different feel between the two.

15 hours ago, mojo122 said:

I agree that the PVD coating helps edge retention and does provide additional protection but I don't think it changes the glide, bite, feel, or sharpening.

I am fairly certain blind testing would show 90% of players would not be able to tell the difference in a controlled environment.

Edited by PBH
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, PBH said:

I agree that the PVD coating helps edge retention and does provide additional protection but I don't think it changes the glide, bite, feel, or sharpening.

I am fairly certain blind testing would show 90% of players would not be able to tell the difference in a controlled environment.

Probably closer to 99%

• Like 3

On 3/9/2022 at 8:08 AM, VegasHockey said:

Yup. I had low expectations for the ti steel because it's Bauer steel but I was still surprised how bad it is. It definitely feels like regular Bauer steel and don't notice any real increased edge retention and definitely doesn't provide smoother gliding like step or jrz dlc. Pretty much a ripoff with it being the same price as other brands dlc steel. 

• Like 1