Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
DuddzMcSlapper

Too Fast For Novice League?

Hey all,

I've been playing hockey for less than 2 years, but I've put a ton of work into skating. My issue is that during games in my novice league, I don't get very many touches on the puck.

When I play pickup games with C- and D-level players, I score 1-3 goals -- usually with an assist or two mixed in there as well. Which leads to my question: is it possible I'm skating too fast for E league?? Straight line speed aside, I transition well, skate backwards quickly, do backwards crossovers, and mohawk. I find open ice and tap the ice, but often before a teammate sees me and makes the pass, the lane is gone. As a forward, this seems to limit my touches on the puck.

Having said all that, I'm throwing this question out there as a sanity check. I see in E league that many skaters don't play with their head up very well yet, and I imagine this affects their ability to see open players quickly enough, and then perhaps a lack of confidence in sending hot passes or saucing them might be an issue, too.

Ok -- let me have it! 🤣

While I'm not familiar with the US league system, I've experienced fast skaters across a few beginner leagues. My advise to them usually is: be aware of your potential speed, and use it when it makes sense.

• Imagine a TV camera catching your game, all players should always be in the same frame - a pass to a person half-ice up shouldn't be attempted. So don't sprint "away" from your team, don't go full speed all the time.
  • Come back to your hashmarks, assist your puck-carrier, it is _your_ job to be open for passes as the man without the puck.
  • Use your speed by _changing_ your speed - you always can go faster, while your opponents might not, if you use this as a deception this can be your greatest weapon.
  • When you get the puck, use your speed to buy a few seconds to find open players, read the game.

Being fast is a great base, but once you move up and others are as fast as you, but they are stronger on the basics (stick, positioning, etc) it gets very hard not to get frustrated. Use the novice league for gaining skill, so that you can be the type of player that assists you on those 1-3 C-D level pickups for the people in the novice league. This will further your skills and understanding way more.

Side-note: Imho games don't build skills. Practice does. In a game you have <10 shots, in a practice you have that within a few minutes. Same for almost any other skill 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gosinger said:

While I'm not familiar with the US league system, I've experienced fast skaters across a few beginner leagues. My advise to them usually is: be aware of your potential speed, and use it when it makes sense.

• Imagine a TV camera catching your game, all players should always be in the same frame - a pass to a person half-ice up shouldn't be attempted. So don't sprint "away" from your team, don't go full speed all the time.
  • Come back to your hashmarks, assist your puck-carrier, it is _your_ job to be open for passes as the man without the puck.
  • Use your speed by _changing_ your speed - you always can go faster, while your opponents might not, if you use this as a deception this can be your greatest weapon.
  • When you get the puck, use your speed to buy a few seconds to find open players, read the game.

Being fast is a great base, but once you move up and others are as fast as you, but they are stronger on the basics (stick, positioning, etc) it gets very hard not to get frustrated. Use the novice league for gaining skill, so that you can be the type of player that assists you on those 1-3 C-D level pickups for the people in the novice league. This will further your skills and understanding way more.

Side-note: Imho games don't build skills. Practice does. In a game you have <10 shots, in a practice you have that within a few minutes. Same for almost any other skill 🙂

Thanks, gosinger. That all makes sense and I completely agree with practice being far more beneficial than games. I do come back to the hash marks (or higher, depending on the play), sit on the boards, communicate, have my stick on the ice as a target, etc.

The problem I have is when a defender is pinching down on the puck carrier behind me. Depending on the angle the defender takes, I may slide down the boards, or I may cut across behind them in the opposite direction of their travel to be that outlet pass. If I cut behind them across ice I find a lane, and I get these passes plenty with the C- and D-level players, but it seems in the E league the passes in those situations just don't come on time usually.

I fully understand slowing down/changing speed and using that for deception, but sitting on the boards for 8 seconds and watching somebody get challenged is hard to watch, when I can just skate laterally and find a lane that would have the puck out of the defender's reach and up ice.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that just the pace of E league?

I would say it is what it is, that is what you are going to find in E league.  Probably time to give D a try and see how you do.  Even if it's a little fast at first you will benefit and probably get better faster.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

If you've advanced that much, I'd say challenge yourself and step up a division for the next season.  You'll never get better playing weaker competition.

Thanks, and yeah I agree you get better by being pushed outside of your comfort zone. I played with D the other day and got way more touches and a bonus: a hat trick 🧢

33 minutes ago, DuddzMcSlapper said:

Thanks, and yeah I agree you get better by being pushed outside of your comfort zone. I played with D the other day and got way more touches and a bonus: a hat trick 🧢

Time for C 😄

On 3/24/2022 at 2:28 AM, DuddzMcSlapper said:

Hey all,

I've been playing hockey for less than 2 years, but I've put a ton of work into skating. My issue is that during games in my novice league, I don't get very many touches on the puck.

When I play pickup games with C- and D-level players, I score 1-3 goals -- usually with an assist or two mixed in there as well. Which leads to my question: is it possible I'm skating too fast for E league?? Straight line speed aside, I transition well, skate backwards quickly, do backwards crossovers, and mohawk. I find open ice and tap the ice, but often before a teammate sees me and makes the pass, the lane is gone. As a forward, this seems to limit my touches on the puck.

Having said all that, I'm throwing this question out there as a sanity check. I see in E league that many skaters don't play with their head up very well yet, and I imagine this affects their ability to see open players quickly enough, and then perhaps a lack of confidence in sending hot passes or saucing them might be an issue, too.

Ok -- let me have it! 🤣

Yeah, years ago, I started in the lowest level, because I couldn't find a team that would pick me up that was any higher, so I joined them. Skating-wise, I could skate two levels higher, play-wise, maybe one level higher.

Anyway, as a strong skater, you might be on defense instead of winger or center.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

Yeah, years ago, I started in the lowest level, because I couldn't find a team that would pick me up that was any higher, so I joined them. Skating-wise, I could skate two levels higher, play-wise, maybe one level higher.

Anyway, as a strong skater, you might be on defense instead of winger or center.

Defense is fun. I've been working on positioning on near the dots, forcing plays outside, and clearing the puck or making a breakout pass if I can force a turnover. Still working on the slapshot 🤣 That's another story. We have to keep our windup below the knees in my league, so I've been hesitant to really get into it.

The problem isn't you per se, it's everyone else. I find when I drop down into some D league games the other players aren't good enough or just don't know to hit the open man. Maybe tweak your game a bit so you aren't so reliant on others. In other words, if you want the puck, go get it.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 4:57 PM, DuddzMcSlapper said:

Defense is fun. I've been working on positioning on near the dots, forcing plays outside, and clearing the puck or making a breakout pass if I can force a turnover. Still working on the slapshot 🤣 That's another story. We have to keep our windup below the knees in my league, so I've been hesitant to really get into it.

Have you played center? You are more likely to skate more since you should be playing deep in the offensive zone helping wingers and deep in your defensive zone helping the defensemen. You probably want to look for a new team a level up this coming fall/winter.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, caveman27 said:

Have you played center? You are more likely to skate more since you should be playing deep in the offensive zone helping wingers and deep in your defensive zone helping the defensemen. You probably want to look for a new team a level up this coming fall/winter.

I have, and actually once I gained some skill at winning faceoffs, I love it. I appreciate being able to play a little deeper. I naturally drop down a little deeper on defense when I need to cover, but as a winger that puts me out of position sometimes -- but it helps keep the puck out of our net. When defense gets back in position, I go back to cover my zone. Anyhow, when playing center it's nice because I'm actually supposed to generally be in that area if mlneed be.

I've got a D league team I'm slated to sub for, so when I get some ice time with them hopefully I can get added to the roster after a few games.

• Like 1