Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Giltis

What is Fair Play

Howdy,

So all the C level teams are supposed to be at the same level?  Like four house teams that all play each other, each with different coaches?

I would probably have a group chat / email / whatever with all four coaches and bring up what you saw along with some comments about "this is supposed to be a developmental league" etc.  Probably CC whoever runs the show. I would strive to keep it cordial and if it started going sideways, I'd almost certainly just drop it.  All of you coaches are supposed to be adults with the kids' best interests in mind.  At least give that idea a shot.  🙂

How are the rest of the players on that team?  Is the one really good kid balanced out by some poor players?  It sounds like it was a close game despite that kid?

Mark

Who runs the league?!?!?

Kids should be in the correct tier, teams should be even, lines even should be managed for in-house.  My son plays in the most organized in-house program I have ever seen.  

1- There are two main people in charge, great hockey background, great with kids, super organized practices

2- The kids are put in the appropriate tier, teams are balanced with 15 kids, 3 "lines" which indicate their skill, kids practice with kids of similar skill, not their team

3- Line 1 goes against Line 1 of the other team

4- If you are missing kids subs are assigned by the people in charge, not the coaches

5- If you are still short kids for the game, you can have any player double shift up (Line 3 player can play on Line 2), players can double shift down but sometimes you are told only certain ones from Line 1 can sub for Line 2 and when subbing down they are supposed to play D and get the puck to the "native" line members, you can never sub a Line 1 on LIne 3

6- Shifts are a minute, change on the horn

EVERYTHING should be about maximizing EVERY kids' development and enjoyment of the sport, period.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Giltis said:

This has been bugging me for awhile now and I'm not sure how to go about resolving it.

I coach my kid's U9 C-level house league (lowest tier) has four teams 1 to 4, of which my kid plays goalie for C1. Team C2 has asked my kid to play for them against Team C3 as their goalie was out sick. Just before the game their coach causally mentions that this player on C3 averages 2+ goals a game, and frequently plays for B tier (averages 0.8 PPG) and practices with U11s.

If he's playing B-level, why is he also playing C-level? Or, is there an A-level, and why isn't he playing at that level instead of going to U11 practices?

Of course, there are going to be a once-in-a-while talented kid who excels over other kids his age in your local league or city. But usually, the parents try to push him to play in the highest competitive level possible for him, not the lower levels.

Yeah, despite the fact that the organization should be overseeing this, you are in the situation you are in.  You can definitely create a good experience regardless of wins and losses.  My daughter's 5th grade volleyball team not only lost all of their matches, they only won two sets the whole season.  Her coach did a fantastic job defining success as a completed pass, multiple passes, returning the ball, etc.  I didn't hear one of those girls complain all year and they had a great time.  This is when you can also grow as a coach, because it can be tough.  Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 4:26 PM, Giltis said:

And my beef isn't with the player, my beef is with his utilization from that coach and him taking play time away from his other kids that could be developing and gaining success/failures during a game setting. There's also another specific player on that team that I want to comment on, but I can't get into it because it's too specific. But basically he's putting short term success over the kid's long term success/health.

I've seen this happen at the AAA level too, at around the same age group. Memory's a little foggy on this, but  I think I remember seeing a game where a kid scored 11-12 of like 14 goals by their team and the coach was still double shifting him even though it was a blow out. It always makes me wonder what the heck the "coach" is thinking. My tinfoil hat theory is the coach is trying to compensate for their own lack of something. 

Any ways, I think your view of things is right, and you're right to raise a stink. It's one thing to have them be part of the team and be double shifted when they're down, but to triple shift at the expense of the kids on both teams, that's not right, especially for the league they're in and the age group. Individual success at that age means nothing and giving this kid special treatment that way does nothing but harm to everyone involved. Cause honestly, this kid may dominate in C, but he's only OK in B. And playing him this way is probably going to create selfish/bad habits.

Any ways, my2cents.

Howdy,

5 hours ago, Giltis said:

Mods, feel free to remove this post. 

I had to remove it due to potential legal issues.

Seriously?  WTF?

Man, don't mess with house league.

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Giltis said:

Mostly because the things in motion may lead to that coach being reprimanded/suspended

Oh, wasn't that of his own doing anyway? Isn't house league coaching all volunteer? Or do they get paid?