Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bengels

Graf 704 Sizing & Replacement

I've been skating on my Graf 704s every week at my beer league games since 2005. They're still holding on, but every time I get them sharpened, the store recommends getting rid of them. I'll be heartbroken when I finally have to let them go. Definitely got my moneys worth after 17 years. All of the lettering on the side have warn off, but I can make out that they're 704s. Size 8 is imprinted on the bottom of the boot. Any way to know if they are regular or wide? Ideally, I'd love the same skate or something as similar as possible. Emailing Graf hasn't been a ton of help. Seems like 703s are the most similar, but being a narrower boot than the 704 should I get a 703 wide? Most importantly, where can I buy Graf 703s? Google searches only bring me to ebay listings. Haven't been able to find them anywhere locally (Boston) nor can I find a legit online store selling them. 

My old 704s were the best skates I ever owned. I truly wish they still made them. I bought a pair of 703s last year instead, but I miss the all-leather boot. They fit exactly the same in my experience. The 703 didn't feel any wider.

Edited by AnimalFear
  • Like 1

@AnimalFear’s right. 703 and 704 are the same last. 704 was just stiffer and lighter.

@bengels you might like the True Catalyst line when it drops this summer. True is close to the Graf cut, about an eyelet lower than standard boots. Catalyst is supposed to have a bit softer flex to it, which makes me think it could be the best of new technology and a boot pattern that works for people who like classic Grafs (I’m a die hard 703 guy myself).

• Like 1

@flip12 Thanks. Is there a way to know if the last is regular or wide on my 704s? Stamp on the bottom is just 8. I have a wider foot, but just want the same as what I have.

I'll also check out the True Catalysts. 

The 704's had that unique unmistakable zig zag stitching pattern on the sides of the boot which was cool looking.  I had 705's for years and loved them until they fell apart, took me a few tries til I found something that I liked again (CCM Ribcors pre one piece boot models are worth trying, 78k, 80k, or the older 70k).  As for telling the width, unless the tag is still on and legible I think you may be out of luck.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:12 PM, AnimalFear said:

My old 704s were the best skates I ever owned. I truly wish they still made them. I bought a pair of 703s last year instead, but I miss the all-leather boot. They fit exactly the same in my experience. The 703 didn't feel any wider.

I had Micron Mega Air 90s. Those were my favorite skates fit-wise. I like CCM JetSpeeds, which are the skates I have now. Biggest plus is the lightweight feel. It's like night-and-day. Heel lock is great and no lace bite.

I would recommend trying to find a modern non-leather hockey skate that fits you well. 

On 3/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, bengels said:

@flip12 Thanks. Is there a way to know if the last is regular or wide on my 704s? Stamp on the bottom is just 8. I have a wider foot, but just want the same as what I have.

I'll also check out the True Catalysts. 

If you look at the padding around the Achilles, if it's not too packed in, you can sort of eyeball if you have regular or wide. That's where the width difference is most visible. It's kind of a best guess scenario though without having something concrete to compare it with.

What about the midsole? Is there anything printed there you can see when you take out the insole? I think sometimes there's an indication there.

flip12 is correct.  Pull the insole out and check the counter bed  if it is a wide you'll see 8W (unless and very possibly it has disappeared with age)