Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Blade feel

What are the differences between dampened and stiff blade feels? Also do these impact durability in any way such as the blade chipping?

Edited by JAY4114

55 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

What are the differences between dampened and stiff blade feels? Also do these impact durability in any way?

Stiffed blades have less foam and more carbon. They are usually lighter and have more pop and less flex.

Many people feel that a softer blade or blade with more foam has better feel. 

Softer blades will typically have less durability than stiffer blades as the blade will eventually start to feel "dead". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

What are the differences between dampened and stiff blade feels? Also do these impact durability in any way such as the blade chipping?

I prefer slightly dampened blades.  I find they are better for catching hard passes where for stiff blades you need cradle the puck as it comes in to prevent it from bouncing/trampolining off.  I also like the feel of the dampened blades for heavier loaded shots.  

One of the pros for stiff blades is that you can feel exactly where the puck is on the blade (heel/toe) as you're stickhandling.  And love the pop they get for quick release shots.      

CCM super tacks and Bauer Vapor are the stiffest blades I've ever tried.  Bauer supreme is the most dampened blade on the market I believe.  

2 hours ago, PBH said:

Stiffed blades have less foam and more carbon. They are usually lighter and have more pop and less flex.

Many people feel that a softer blade or blade with more foam has better feel. 

Softer blades will typically have less durability than stiffer blades as the blade will eventually start to feel "dead". 

I was thinking of skate blades and thought "Who is putting foam in skate blades?"🤣 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 12:36 PM, caveman27 said:

I was thinking of skate blades and thought "Who is putting foam in skate blades?"🤣 

Uh, you don’t use spray insulation on your steel to dampen vibrations and get better power transfer? Dusty. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I love the feel of stiff blades.  I like that I can feel exactly where the puck is on my blade without having to look.  Stiff blades are way more responsive.

I like a soft heel and a stiff mid/toe.