Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pgeorgan

Going from Hyperlite to Ribcore 100k

Am I crazy to try this? 

I have gotten used to the vapor line over the last couple years, progressing from 1x 2.0, 2x Pro and eventually to Hyperlite. 

I learned to skate out on Mission rollerblades, so ultra stiff boots are really a newer thing for me. Given the 90-day CCM guarantee, I'm somewhat curious what these will feel like. With my Mission's, the boot was quite soft. In fact, I used to lace up until the ankle bone, use the two heel lock hooks they use to have, ratchet down, then skip all the way to the top eyelet and wrap the laces. Even with that, I got *tons* of 3D flex.  

I went to Pure Hockey today and they have no Ribcore in stock. They never did, apparently, because of supply crunches. So I'd just be ordering them site unseen and away we go. 

Should also mention that I'm about 177#.

I'm still not as good on the ice as I was in roller, but I'm getting there, and I think skates might have something to do with it.

Edited by pgeorgan

Ribcors are supposed to be less stiff than other models, they have flex zones built in (which they have some fancy terms for).  The older models, 80k/70k weren't one piece boots like the 100k and were even less stiff.  I actually switched from older Vapors (X700 tech mesh ones) to Ribcors because the Vapors were way too stiff and cut too high for me, I'm now just switching to a Jetspeed boot which is definitely an adjustment so far being as stiff and light as it is.

13 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Ribcors are supposed to be less stiff than other models, they have flex zones built in (which they have some fancy terms for).  The older models, 80k/70k weren't one piece boots like the 100k and were even less stiff.  I actually switched from older Vapors (X700 tech mesh ones) to Ribcors because the Vapors were way too stiff and cut too high for me, I'm now just switching to a Jetspeed boot which is definitely an adjustment so far being as stiff and light as it is.

Welp, everyone was out of 100k so I went with the Jetspeeds. Actually looking at pics on this forum of other folks' Ribcors, I'm thinking they might be a little *too* soft. 

15 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Welp, everyone was out of 100k so I went with the Jetspeeds. Actually looking at pics on this forum of other folks' Ribcors, I'm thinking they might be a little *too* soft. 

We will see 😉

I love my 100K skates. There is only one other skate that even comes close to them but I cant share any info about them... yet. 

8 hours ago, PBH said:

We will see 😉

I love my 100K skates. There is only one other skate that even comes close to them but I cant share any info about them... yet. 

Boo this man.........booooooooooooooooo !!

23 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

They aren't 1x stiff but they're stiffer then previous ribcors models. I don't find the 100k's to be "soft". When I hear someone say the boot is soft, I think it lacks lateral support. The 100k's defiantly aren't lacking there. 

8 hours ago, PBH said:

We will see 😉

I've been extremely happy with mine. My only complaint is they ditched the foam donuts in the ankles. That was one thing I loved about my 70k's. I thought about going custom but the price delta between my size 6 retail and a custom boot didn't seem worth it.

23 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Even though ccm calls them softer or more flexible, i think its all relative.  I mean the current model Super Tacks AS3 Pros and Jetspeed FT4 Pro;s are some of the stiffest skates I've ever seen in my life.  The 100k's are just a little more flexible than those, but still ridiculously stiff compared to skate boots from just 5-7 years ago.  I'm pretty sure a lot of people have said the same thing about the 100k's, still stiff, just a little more forgiving.

Edited by noupf
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, PBH said:

We will see 😉

BUT WHY!!!!!

5 hours ago, noupf said:

Even though ccm calls them softer or more flexible, i think its all relative.  I mean the current model Super Tacks AS3 Pros and Jetspeed FT4 Pro;s are some of the stiffest skates I've ever seen in my life.  The 100k's are just a little more flexible than those, but still ridiculously stiff compared to skate boots from just 5-7 years ago.  I'm pretty sure a lot of people have said the same thing about the 100k's, still stiff, just a little more forgiving.

How do they compare to Hyperlites? 

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

How do they compare to Hyperlites? 

Unfortunately I don't have experience with comparing the two.  @PBH can probably speak to it though.

Skated on these once, and I had to stop after 40 minutes from blisters. I didn't wear socks during the skate. They were also very loose, as any tighter and I wouldn't have had much maneuverability. 

I baked them 2 more times since, 1 day apart with no skating since, wearing socks this time during the bake (and 2 socks on my left foot that is a little tight). 

They actually feel considerably better now. 

My hyperlites were almost like pillows straight out of the box, so I only had to do one bake. They're also a little roomier in some areas. Particularly, the high instep sidewall as compared to the CCM's. 

I ordered 100K Pros last night, too, just to be sure, since that was my original plan. 

There is quite a bit of internal padding on these Tapered fit Jetspeeds. Def. more than Hyperlites. I suspect they'll break in nicely after 10-15 hours, so let's see what happens. I'm not in love with them... yet. I could be, one day. It's a huge jump I'm making. Hopefully the extra baking lets me tie them a little more snug and still maneuver, otherwise I'll have to strongly consider the 100K Pros.

These have less negative space than my Hyperlites, in the toe box as well, so +1 for the CCM's in that regard, as that's what I was hoping for. These also seem to mold a little better out of the oven. Perhaps because CCM calls for 220 degrees and I think I did my Bauer's at 175. Not sure on that one, though, as the former was for 2 minutes, and the latter, 3. 

Time will tell. 

Edited by pgeorgan

I’m about to purchase 80k’s at a good price. I have a plan to stretch out my 2x pros but I’ll try the 80k’s and see how they feel after a bake. I’m hoping the flexible forefoot on the 80k’s moulds to my feet nicely. I don’t have a wide foot but just slightly wide enough to make the 2x pro D width unbelievable painful on the outside feet. 

What's the deal with the 90-day guarantee? Can you actually use the skates in a game and get them marked up, have pucks shot at them, etc...? Or do they have to be blemish-free upon return? 

12 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

What's the deal with the 90-day guarantee? Can you actually use the skates in a game and get them marked up, have pucks shot at them, etc...? Or do they have to be blemish-free upon return? 

Pretty sure you can sharpen them use them and if you don’t like them send them back. They don’t say anything about not having blemishes or any kind of condition. 

I wore mine, not a ton because it was the beginning of COVID but there was no inquiry, I just walked in and said I want 1/2 size bigger and they gave them to me.

Just now, BenBreeg said:

I wore mine, not a ton because it was the beginning of COVID but there was no inquiry, I just walked in and said I want 1/2 size bigger and they gave them to me.

Just feels weird if I play 3 months in these and bring them back all beat to sh*t. 

18 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

Just feels weird if I play 3 months in these and bring them back all beat to sh*t. 

I played in mine for almost 3 months, 1-2 a week.  Hardly beat to shit, but I did have some hot spots I tried to resolve with some pretty aggressive punching in the heel.  No issues. And you'll very likely know whether they will work or not way before 3 months are up.  I returned mine after about 2 months.  Would have sooner but I was trying hard to make them work with those hot spots.  

16 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

I played in mine for almost 3 months, 1-2 a week.  Hardly beat to shit, but I did have some hot spots I tried to resolve with some pretty aggressive punching in the heel.  No issues. And you'll very likely know whether they will work or not way before 3 months are up.  I returned mine after about 2 months.  Would have sooner but I was trying hard to make them work with those hot spots.  

I have a pretty good idea right now, which is why I went and ordered the 100k Pro a few days after these arrived. When wearing a Hyperlite on one foot, and the Jetspeed Pro on the other, the differences become very obvious. The Jetspeeds are much, much stiffer. The Ribcors could be right in my wheelhouse.  

The CCM tapered fit also are ultra snug right at the balls of my feet, and have the effect of making them feel like a hoof or paw, if that makes any sense. I'm not totally a fan of that, but I suspect the area will widen out over time, naturally, and certainly if I take it to a skate shop and request it. 

Also, not really sure what the advantage of traditional eyelets are if the eyelets are placed directly into the carbon fiber boot, vs something like the Ultrasonic where the eyelets appear to be embedded in a leather upper. 

Lastly, I wish the lace bite protection extended the length of the CCM Metatomic tongue, like in the Hyperlites. I don't believe their 3 aftermarket options have this either, but I could be wrong. 

Edited by pgeorgan

6 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

I have a pretty good idea right now, which is why I went and ordered the 100k Pro a few days after these arrived. When wearing a Hyperlite on one foot, and the Jetspeed Pro on the other, the differences become very obvious. The Jetspeeds are much, much stiffer. The Ribcors could be right in my wheelhouse.  

The CCM tapered fit also are ultra snug right at the balls of my feet, and have the effect of making them feel like a hoof or paw, if that makes any sense. I'm not totally a fan of that, but I suspect the area will widen out over time, naturally, and certainly if I take it to a skate shop and request it. 

I like a softer skate and really liked the Ribcor 76K, except for those damn hot spots, they would have been perfect.  I just wasn't able to effectively get rid of them and they were too much of a pain (literally) to keep them. 

I've moved on to the True retail skates and have been enjoying those. 

Got the 100K Pro's, today. Just finished doing a first bake. 

I have to say, I think these provide even more heel and achilles lock than the Jetspeeds. I can hardly squeeze my foot in, but no hotspots! At the heel, the boot is noticeably more narrow, which is easy to confirm side-by-side. Previously, I had thought the boots would be identical in shape, which I can see now is not the case.

The shape of the top cuff is also different. It's sort of slanted up, with the highest point being at the eyelet, with more comfort foam on the sides. The Jetspeed is more straight.

Top eyelet is also embedded in what looks like a more leather-upper type ankle cuff. Jetspeeds appear to be stiffer in this area, with some kind of hard plastic/carbon fiber combo.

I think I understand why these are the more "agile" skates. The fit is quite snug. These are by far the most snug I've ever felt in a skate before tying the laces. You could easily get away with a very loose tie. Plus the fact that they are advertised as being less stiff. I believe this contributes to a more natural feel on my foot, with give in just the right areas. 

On a side note, I weighed these, the Jetspeeds and my Hyperlite. The Hyperlites were about 10 grams lighter than the Jetspeeds, which were about 14 grams lighter than the Ribcor. I suspect these disparity grows the higher the skate size. For example, Ice Warehouse shows a roughly 40g difference between the two CCM's for a size 9. Keep in mind the Bauer's have the thinner tongue. I could probably close the gap by getting the thinner of the 3 CCM tongue options. 

Pretty interesting. Will get to skate on them tomorrow.

Edited by pgeorgan

Perfect fit for my feet. Best skates ever. CCM have really done a bang-up job with the 90-day guarantee. Kudos if you're reading, CCM. 

Have listed my Bauer's for sale. Goodbye, Bauer!