Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

ProSharp... what a mess... Lets discuss the AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC

I previously owned a ProSharp AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC, which I later sold as part of selling off my old stores. With my new store opened, we decided to add a new ProSharp AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC to our machine lineup of SSM units to help handle additional needs for sharpening and profiling. 

I need to note that this purchase was made after Bauer acquired ProSharp and what a wild ride it has been. This is an important fact that will come up later. 

We got the unit and had significant issues with the calibration, which later turned out to be a bad spindle hub bearing, and Bauer mailed us a replacement part. Even after replacing the bearing, we had issues with calibration for sharpening, uneven edges, etc. Bauer spent multiple video calls with us trying to get the unit calibrated and sharpening properly, basically using up and wasting many consumables; wheels, diamonds, and many days of time. I think I spent at least 25 hours trying to get the machine properly aligned. It would sharpen properly for a while, but eventually, after 20+ sharpens the alignment would "walk" and edges would start coming out uneven. 

Since this was a brand new unit that had issues from the first day, I requested Bauer to replace the unit with another since this one had a defective bearing which means the unit could never have been properly calibrated ad thus should be replaced. After a lengthy wait, Bauer agreed to replace the unit, but what I was not prepared for was the statement that was made. 

Apparently, the ProSharp AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC is a profiling machine and should not be used for skate sharpening. Wait. What? There must be some confusion here... let's look at the website:

https://www.prosharp.eu/machines/as-2001-allpro-sc

• "The AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC has earned the reputation of a precision sharpening machine desired by many professional hockey teams and skaters around the world, along with elite proshops and sport stores. Now updated with double blade profiling capability and self-centering."
  • "Our most technologically advanced sharpening machine."
  • "Easy to change from sharpening to profiling (5 sec)."
  • "Sharpens all hockey and figure skates."

So I told them they must be seriously confused. I have owned one of these machines before, it works fine to sharpen, and it's great for profiling. Well, the plot thickens...

Apparently, after Bauer purchased ProSharp they determined the ProSharp AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC is only suited to profile and they recommend stores purchase a ProSharp AS 1001 PORTABLE-SC for sharpening. The swapping of wheels has a tendency to take the machine out of alignment so all documentation and sales information is being re-written to state the ProSharp AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC is a profiling machine.

I honestly don't know what to say. I thought Bauer acquiring ProSharp would be a good thing since ProSharp had terrible customer service in the past, I assumed a big company like Bauer would help rectify those issues. Apparently, I was too optimistic. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

It looks like they have discontinued the Home sharpener, that is not a surprise. A LHS near me has one of your ProSharp machines, it is a nice compromise between a Sparx and a manual sharpener, presumably it is not much effort to train staff to sharpen skates. 

The U.S division of ProSharp was a mess in terms of machine issues and lack of support long before Bauer decided to acquire it.  Pure Hockey had invested heavily into ProSharp and it didn't work out well for them and now have moved on.  Not sure what Bauer's long term goals are with ProSharp?  I find that profiles of singles, combos, triples, quads, quints, etc just too daunting and confusing to the average player.  Bauer currently have Quads on many of their 2020 retail Supreme skates, but the standard 10' on most of their 2021 Vapor skates.   So initially invested in profiling at the retail level they have since changed that thought process. 

I have more confidence in CAG's matching the profile on a set of runners than the older AS 2001 that only do one runner at a time.  Watching closely to see whether the Bauer/ProSharp move is a success or a failure.

3 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but from what you describe, it sounds like Bauer are doing their homework and trying to improve the process. Is that not the case? 

That explains why my LHS, who have all kinds of ProSharp equipment, rarely send me home with even edges. 

I know the guy knows what their doing, too.

Just out of curiosity, did they move this link to their machines?

Yes, they removed the US link hence why I had to link to the EU website. 

This is not new considering Bauer's history (Mission, Easton, Itech and probably more). It's annoying, but personally I think you have to just cya here and do it by their new book. 

13 hours ago, Miller55 said:

This is not new considering Bauer's history (Mission, Easton, Itech and probably more). It's annoying, but personally I think you have to just cya here and do it by their new book. 

I decided to send back the AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC as I already have an SSM unit which accepts SSM, Blackstone and ProSharp profiles. No need to have a $14K unit that can only profile when I already have a profiling machine. 

Regardless, I am disappointed in both ProSharp and Bauer. I guess I expected too much. 

Edited by PBH
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PBH said:

I decided to send back the AS 2001 ALLPRO-SC as I already have an SSM unit which accepts SSM, Blackstone and ProSharp profiles. No need to have a $14K unit that can only profile when I already have a profiling machine. 

Regardless, I am disappointed in both ProSharp and Bauer. I guess I expected too much. 

Ya sounds like the right move.