Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
noupf

Crooked blade in holder ?

I have a pair of 2013 Graf Ultra G75's that i was about to retire last year, but was able to find brand new cobra 5000 holders for for them.  Figured I'd try to refresh the skates with new holders and some step steel blades as I begin looking for and trying on new skates. this year.  When i was looking at the skates with the old holders,  I noticed that the blades were slightly crooked when holding the skate perfectly straight up and down.  I'm 6'4, 230 lbs and figured that 8+ years of skating has worn out the holder and left me with slightly crooked runners, likely from stressing out the plastic holders over the years.

Fast forward to my new holders and blades being installed.  I noticed right away, after installation, the blades seemed perfectly straight.   I could also tell during the first skate that the blades being almost perfectly straight up and down gave me a better push off and stride.   However, 10 months later, looking at the skates again from the rear, it looks like the blades are slightly crooked in the holders again.   Is this normal?  I would assume that a very very slight crooked-ness would happen just from the design of a holder and a blade sliding into it, but its very evident when looking at my skates from the rear again.  Its likely just a couple of degrees, but its just about as bad as the older holders / blades were. 

I am curious if anybody with newer, higher end skates has ever noticed this?  Were the cobra 5000 holders weaker, are newer holder stronger?

Made this awesome MS Paint image to better show what i mean ( i'm bored at work ).  The skate on the right side of the image represents the crooked blade in the holder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm8ri2dxk56r5i3/crooked blade in holder.jpg?dl=0

Thoughts ??

Edited by noupf

The cobra holder was notorious for the plastic deforming under the head of the bolt that holds the blade in place. The bolt loosens a fraction, the blade becomes slightly loose and now the blade can move in the holder and open it up ergo your situation. I used to shim the bolt with copper washes that just fit into the hole but once the channel that holds the blade has opened up there is little you can do. I did hear of people heating the channel up (with the blade installed) and clamping the channel. I don't know any long term results of this method. You could try a teflon tape trick on each side of the blade (Bauer edge holder fix) to see if that will help. I haven't had my hands on a cobra holder for ages.

14 hours ago, Vet88 said:

The cobra holder was notorious for the plastic deforming under the head of the bolt that holds the blade in place. The bolt loosens a fraction, the blade becomes slightly loose and now the blade can move in the holder and open it up ergo your situation. I used to shim the bolt with copper washes that just fit into the hole but once the channel that holds the blade has opened up there is little you can do. I did hear of people heating the channel up (with the blade installed) and clamping the channel. I don't know any long term results of this method. You could try a teflon tape trick on each side of the blade (Bauer edge holder fix) to see if that will help. I haven't had my hands on a cobra holder for ages.

yea, something is up with these holders.  I compared them to a buddy of mines 100K's last night.  He's 220 lbs and been on them from about 6 months now and his blades were almost perfectly straight in the holders.  This was after a game too.

Might be time to accelerate my skate replacement plan...

5 hours ago, noupf said:

yea, something is up with these holders. 

You really notice it if you stick the boot into a traditional skate holder for a sharpen (the one that holds the boot sideways). The boot will sag alarmingly. This is one of the problems with a vertical holder like Sparx have, you don't see the sag anymore so issues with the blade in the holder can easily be missed.

14 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

What's to stop me from just holding the skate horizontally by the blade? 

Nothing, if you can hold it firm and level enough to see any drop.