Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

P28 and P92 alternative

Recommended Posts

I am looking to switch curves and through some research, I’ve found out that all manufacturers have similar curves, but there are differences. Some are very minor but some feel different to different people. I am looking for a p28 alternative, something a little more closed. How to do the p90tm and tc4 compare? I don’t really want to go the route of custom orders like a kucherov from Bauer or trying to find a pro stock stick. Also, is the tc2 an exact clone of the P92, or are there any differences between them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is it about the P28 that you don't like, just the openness of the blade?  I'm currently using. P90TM, but will be switching back to a P92 or P88.  I find the toe kink on the 90TM doesn't come into play at all when shooting, and it negatively affects my puck handling as well.  The P28 is my least favourite curve, and I find the P90TM too similar for my liking.

With regards to the TC2, imho it is almost exactly the same as the W03/P19 (Sherwood PP26).  It's very close to the P92, but very slightly less curved at the toe.  I used the TC2 on my A5.2 and liked it quite a bit.

If you want something not very open at retail, you're pretty much stuck with P88 these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used all three, 28, 92 & 90TM. The 90TM is really good blend of both those other curves without some of the drawbacks. 

The 90TM plays like a less aggressive 28 with a flatter rocker. After a few skates I put all my 28's up for sale and never looked back.

BTW, CCM offers a P90 and P90T, neither of which are the same as the retail P90TM aka Benn Pro. Though the 90T is close. Something to keep in mind if you shop for pro stocks.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stick9 said:

I've used all three, 28, 92 & 90TM. The 90TM is really good blend of both those other curves without some of the drawbacks. 

The 90TM plays like a less aggressive 28 with a flatter rocker. After a few skates I put all my 28's up for sale and never looked back.

BTW, CCM offers a P90 and P90T, neither of which are the same as the retail P90TM aka Benn Pro. Though the 90T is close. Something to keep in mind if you shop for pro stocks.

I see the term “aggressive” a lot when discussing the p90tm but never fully understand it. Does it mean how opened it is? Or how fast it opens up? Or something completely different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went from the p92 to the p28 many moons ago. Tried the P90TM, and for me, it's been OK. When I compare the two, the p28 just does more of what I like in the toe area, and when I compared it to the p92, I preferred the p92. So, the p90TM got put away, for now. I'll probably give it another go around down the road, but for now, not working for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

I see the term “aggressive” a lot when discussing the p90tm but never fully understand it. Does it mean how opened it is? Or how fast it opens up? Or something completely different?

I wouldn’t describe it as aggressive.  To me it takes the extreme parts of the P28 and tones them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for P90TM.  I used P28's for a number of years before switching over.  I never cared much for the P92, found it to be too big of a hook, preferred the open toe of the 28 more so.  The issue with the P28 was how open the toe was, it made for awesome shots when you got it right but it was very unforgiving if you misfire towards the toe.  The P90TM is slightly more closed at the toe which, for me, made all the difference in being more forgiving on misfires (also I found it was better for backhanders, much easier to control backhand shots and passes than the P28 was).  I now have a bunch of P28's I need to figure out what to do with and have also been trying to decipher pro stock listings for P90TM's since it seems to be a crap shoot between what they describe and what it'll actually be lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

I wouldn’t describe it as aggressive.  To me it takes the extreme parts of the P28 and tones them down.

Yep, 100%. 

Though I will add. When I use the term aggressive when describing the 90TM I am doing so in comparison to the 92, not the 28. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, boo10 said:

What is it about the P28 that you don't like, just the openness of the blade?  I'm currently using. P90TM, but will be switching back to a P92 or P88.  I find the toe kink on the 90TM doesn't come into play at all when shooting, and it negatively affects my puck handling as well.  The P28 is my least favourite curve, and I find the P90TM too similar for my liking.

With regards to the TC2, imho it is almost exactly the same as the W03/P19 (Sherwood PP26).  It's very close to the P92, but very slightly less curved at the toe.  I used the TC2 on my A5.2 and liked it quite a bit.

If you want something not very open at retail, you're pretty much stuck with P88 these days.

Question on the p88 because I feel like this is one of my reasons for making a move away from it. When stickhandling, is the toe supposed to be off the ground? I thought because of the flat rocker the whole blade should be on the surface the whole time. I feel like with a p28 or p92 when I have to adjust, it feels smoother since it is more round on the bottom. Same with stickhandling since the whole blade isn’t shaped to be on the ice. 

Edited by JAY4114

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

Question on the p88 because I feel like this is one of my reasons for making a move away from it. When stickhandling, is the toe supposed to be off the ground? I thought because of the flat rocker the whole blade should be on the surface the whole time. I feel like with a p28 or p92 when I have to adjust, it feels smoother since it is more round on the bottom. Same with stickhandling since the whole blade isn’t shaped to be on the ice. 

With any curve it really depends on the length and lie of the stick relative to your skating posture.  The P88 will generally allow you to carry the puck a little further from your body without the toe lifting as much as a P92, but the toe will definitely be partially of the ice.  Conversely, if you're playing the puck closer to your feet, you'll have less blade to work with due to the lie, which will force more of the heel off the ice.  I find that it only takes a shift or two for me to adjust between the two curves, but I've been playing the sport for 45 years, so a less experienced player may find it more difficult to adjust.

Edited by boo10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boo10 said:

With any curve it really depends on the length and lie of the stick relative to your skating posture.  The P88 will generally allow you to carry the puck a little further from your body without the toe lifting as much as a P92, but the toe will definitely be partially of the ice.  Conversely, if you're playing the puck closer to your feet, you'll have less blade to work with due to the lie, which will force more of the heel off the ice.  I find that it only takes a shift or two for me to adjust between the two curves, but I've been playing the sport for 45 years, so a less experienced player may find it more difficult to adjust.

So the toe is meant to be off the ice for the p88?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is any curve "designed" to carry a puck a certain way for every player?  There are too many factors involved for that to be a hard and fast rule. 

In the picture of Johnny, remember he is one of the shortest (if not THE shortest) in the league.  With a higher lie curve (P92 for example), the toe would be even further off the ice.  I'm about the same size as Johnny.  I like the P88 because of the lower lie allowing me to keep more blade on the ice most of the time.  If you are taller - I doubt you'd have much issue keeping the toe down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Is any curve "designed" to carry a puck a certain way for every player?  There are too many factors involved for that to be a hard and fast rule. 

In the picture of Johnny, remember he is one of the shortest (if not THE shortest) in the league.  With a higher lie curve (P92 for example), the toe would be even further off the ice.  I'm about the same size as Johnny.  I like the P88 because of the lower lie allowing me to keep more blade on the ice most of the time.  If you are taller - I doubt you'd have much issue keeping the toe down. 

Agreed, the picture is just to demonstrate that it is ok for the toe to be in the air, as that was OP's specific question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Agreed, the picture is just to demonstrate that it is ok for the toe to be in the air, as that was OP's specific question.

 

16 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

So the toe is meant to be off the ice for the p88?

My post was more a reaction to the OP's statement.  "Meant to be"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, boo10 said:

Agreed, the picture is just to demonstrate that it is ok for the toe to be in the air, as that was OP's specific question.

Thank you for the clarification 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, boo10 said:

What is it about the P28 that you don't like, just the openness of the blade?  I'm currently using. P90TM, but will be switching back to a P92 or P88.  I find the toe kink on the 90TM doesn't come into play at all when shooting, and it negatively affects my puck handling as well.  The P28 is my least favourite curve, and I find the P90TM too similar for my liking.

With regards to the TC2, imho it is almost exactly the same as the W03/P19 (Sherwood PP26).  It's very close to the P92, but very slightly less curved at the toe.  I used the TC2 on my A5.2 and liked it quite a bit.

If you want something not very open at retail, you're pretty much stuck with P88 these days.

For the tc2, is it a tad more opened as well? I’ve seen the w03 described as a little shallower and a little more opened than the p92

Edited by JAY4114

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, boo10 said:

What is it about the P28 that you don't like, just the openness of the blade?  I'm currently using. P90TM, but will be switching back to a P92 or P88.  I find the toe kink on the 90TM doesn't come into play at all when shooting, and it negatively affects my puck handling as well.  The P28 is my least favourite curve, and I find the P90TM too similar for my liking.

With regards to the TC2, imho it is almost exactly the same as the W03/P19 (Sherwood PP26).  It's very close to the P92, but very slightly less curved at the toe.  I used the TC2 on my A5.2 and liked it quite a bit.

If you want something not very open at retail, you're pretty much stuck with P88 these days.

Also to answer your first question, the unforgiving aspect of the p28 is what I don’t like too much. My first 3 shots of a game will be lasers that I can place pretty well, even when I’m just trying to get shots on goal they still go about mid height, but then that 4th shot will soar out of the rink. I’ve tried the p90tm for a few shots and liked it, but as @stick9 it has a flatter rocker. I’m beginning to like the feeling of the “dual lie”. Not sure if the p92 is considered that, but the rocker feels rounder than the p88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

For the tc2, is it a tad more opened as well? I’ve seen the w03 described as a little shallower and a little more opened than the p92

I haven't measured or anything, but I don't think it's any more open than a P92.  I think it's a bit of an optical illusion because it has slightly less curved at the toe.

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

Also to answer your first question, the unforgiving aspect of the p28 is what I don’t like too much. My first 3 shots of a game will be lasers that I can place pretty well, even when I’m just trying to get shots on goal they still go about mid height, but then that 4th shot will soar out of the rink. I’ve tried the p90tm for a few shots and liked it, but as @stick9 it has a flatter rocker. I’m beginning to like the feeling of the “dual lie”. Not sure if the p92 is considered that, but the rocker feels rounder than the p88

I'd say the P90TM has a rocker that is similar to the P88.  The P92 is definitely more rockered than the P90TM.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look for the thread about the P90TM.  The information you're looking for about it is in there.

While a P88 is indeed flatter than a P28 or P92, it is still not completely flat.  The entire blade is not going to be on the ice at any point.  You are correct, it's easier to stickhandle with a P28 or P92 because the more rockered, rounded toe allows for more wrist movement and less interference from the blade.  You have to decide what you are looking for.  Do you want more consistency and certainty, and are willing to give uo some performance for it?  Then go with P88 or P90TM.  Do you want higher performance and playability at the cost of some consistency and certainty?  Then go with P92 or P28.  No curve is going to give you everything perfectly.  I will also say that a Bauer P92 is similar to the CCM P29, but not exact.  It's a little higher lie, a little more rockered, and a little more open.  If those things are what are causing your issues, then maybe try a P29 or clone.  Or try a P90 or P90T pro stock that may have a little more rocker to it.  The Benn Pro is similar to the P90TM, but a little thinner and slightly more rockered.

Edited by psulion22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2022 at 2:19 PM, JAY4114 said:

I am looking to switch curves and through some research, I’ve found out that all manufacturers have similar curves, but there are differences. Some are very minor but some feel different to different people. I am looking for a p28 alternative, something a little more closed. How to do the p90tm and tc4 compare? I don’t really want to go the route of custom orders like a kucherov from Bauer or trying to find a pro stock stick. Also, is the tc2 an exact clone of the P92, or are there any differences between them?

get a custom kovalchuk pro stock curve.  i love mine.  great curve to use

@ProStockSticks Curve Review S2E2: PRO17 (ST: Kovalchuk Pro Curve, Thrashers Version) - YouTube

Edited by iceman8310

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2022 at 6:43 PM, JAY4114 said:

So the toe is meant to be off the ice for the p88?

If you want the whole blade to any curve to sit flush against the ice, simply close the blade face. Which is something you generally want to do when catching passes and carrying the puck. It keeps the blade in a better position to shoot or pass off the forehand. Having the blade straight up at 90 degrees puts it in kind of a no-man's land. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Look for the thread about the P90TM.  The information you're looking for about it is in there.

While a P88 is indeed flatter than a P28 or P92, it is still not completely flat.  The entire blade is not going to be on the ice at any point.  You are correct, it's easier to stickhandle with a P28 or P92 because the more rockered, rounded toe allows for more wrist movement and less interference from the blade.  You have to decide what you are looking for.  Do you want more consistency and certainty, and are willing to give uo some performance for it?  Then go with P88 or P90TM.  Do you want higher performance and playability at the cost of some consistency and certainty?  Then go with P92 or P28.  No curve is going to give you everything perfectly.  I will also say that a Bauer P92 is similar to the CCM P29, but not exact.  It's a little higher lie, a little more rockered, and a little more open.  If those things are what are causing your issues, then maybe try a P29 or clone.  Or try a P90 or P90T pro stock that may have a little more rocker to it.  The Benn Pro is similar to the P90TM, but a little thinner and slightly more rockered.

Thank you for this. Also, for consistency and giving up performance, do you mean with stickhandling or all around play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...