Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Marner pro stock

Does anyone have experience with Marner pro stock sticks? Also how are the durability on true pro stocks? I know their higher end retail models tend to break quickly for most people. 

3 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

Does anyone have experience with Marner pro stock sticks? Also how are the durability on true pro stocks? I know their higher end retail models tend to break quickly for most people. 

I just broke a True Project X Pro Stock (Stephane Patry) right where the blade meets the shaft. Blew up on a quick snapper during warm-up. Funny thing is the very first time I used it (roughly mid-Feb), I got a slash that chipped off the outer paint layer and I thought what I saw was a small imperfection in the shaft construction and that is exactly where it broke last Sunday (May 15). 

I will say performance-wise it was the best stick I have ever used and I was coming from a CCM Jetspeed FT2 which was near the top of my list as well. I never thought my beloved Ultra Tacks would be topped but the True Project X blew it away. 

Durability wise I am disappointed I usually make a stick last longer. I have noticed in on league I play in that Trues (retail and pro stock) seem to break more than any other stick brand. I've been collecting broken shafts to make some road hockey sticks for my friends kids and half of what I got are True's. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BruinDust said:

I just broke a True Project X Pro Stock (Stephane Patry) right where the blade meets the shaft. Blew up on a quick snapper during warm-up. Funny thing is the very first time I used it (roughly mid-Feb), I got a slash that chipped off the outer paint layer and I thought what I saw was a small imperfection in the shaft construction and that is exactly where it broke last Sunday (May 15). 

I will say performance-wise it was the best stick I have ever used and I was coming from a CCM Jetspeed FT2 which was near the top of my list as well. I never thought my beloved Ultra Tacks would be topped but the True Project X blew it away. 

Durability wise I am disappointed I usually make a stick last longer. I have noticed in on league I play in that Trues (retail and pro stock) seem to break more than any other stick brand. I've been collecting broken shafts to make some road hockey sticks for my friends kids and half of what I got are True's. 

If ft2 was one of your favorite and you went from that to true... You probably will love the ft3 or 4.  True sticks have always been horrible with durability. I liked the a series sticks but they were hit or miss with how long they would last. I didn't like the ax9. Haven't been back with true since. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 3:18 PM, JAY4114 said:

I bought a pair of used Marner pro stock sticks off of SLS a couple of years back.  (I'm assuming that they were the real thing, although on SLS there's always a possibility that they weren't.)  They were in good shape when I bought them and seemed pretty lightly used.  I liked them a lot - super light and great feel.  The one knock on them for me was the durability.  I broke both pretty quickly - the blades went soft and then broke.  All of which is to say that my experience sounds similar to BruinDust's 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 5:18 PM, JAY4114 said:

Probably works well during the regular season and then stops working in the first round of playoffs...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

A couple years back I picked up a few True A-Series sticks that were sent to Bruins players to try out.

Performance was solid, but all 5 sticks had blade issues in one way or another in a very short usage period. 

Take that with a grain of salt though, as this was 5-6 years ago. So maybe things have changed.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:05 PM, Sniper9 said:

If ft2 was one of your favorite and you went from that to true... You probably will love the ft3 or 4.  True sticks have always been horrible with durability. I liked the a series sticks but they were hit or miss with how long they would last. I didn't like the ax9. Haven't been back with true since. 

Did your ax9 break?

On 5/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, bl4 said:

I bought a pair of used Marner pro stock sticks off of SLS a couple of years back.  (I'm assuming that they were the real thing, although on SLS there's always a possibility that they weren't.)  They were in good shape when I bought them and seemed pretty lightly used.  I liked them a lot - super light and great feel.  The one knock on them for me was the durability.  I broke both pretty quickly - the blades went soft and then broke.  All of which is to say that my experience sounds similar to BruinDust's 

How long would you say they lasted? Also which model?

2 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

How long would you say they lasted? Also which model?

A6 (or at least dressed as A6).  Timing is a little tough - I played with them once and then was off the ice for a while due to an injury and then the pandemic.  But, I'd say that neither of them lasted more than a few dozen skates.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, JAY4114 said:

Did your ax9 break?

No I used it once and didn't like the feel. Sold it to a buddy. Hes played maybe 12 drop in games with them since as he's a beginner. Toe is absolutely destroyed already. So goes to show the durability still is an issue. 

Edited by Sniper9

On 5/20/2022 at 7:02 PM, bl4 said:

I still have a pro stock A-Series (2018 model) and as far as great balanced feel it's still maybe the best stick I've used in that regard. Love stickhandling with that thing.

But the blade and puck feel stunk. Not dampened. Not pingy. Just blah. Blade felt like one of those old wooden Sherwoods with the fibreglass blade. Pretty much why I stopped using it. 

I found the blade on my Project X pro stock felt a million times better.