Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
218hockey

Thoughts on stick repair ???

If it’s a true Geo stick I’m not sure the repair would work with the backhand geometry. I don’t think all the dimensions would line up, at least not with the repair methods I’ve seen. 

other than that it wold be an ok mid range stick. The flex properties around the repair are obviously different but it would be useable. 

I had a traditional shaped stick with a break in a similar spot, had it repaired and in short order it broke right below the repair 

That blade looks super new, so I assume this happened pretty early in its life. My condolences. RIP

I’ve never heard a good review of a repaired stick. Best ones you get are from people who place “value” as the highest importance when choosing a stick. 

Sucks, but seems like you’re better off just giving it a Viking funeral and moving on. 

Oh shoot, I forgot about the funny shaped GEO shaft. Oh well, stuff happens. I'll cut a little groove in the crack, cover it with JB Weld and shoot pucks outside until it breaks!

Howdy,

If it's not under your hand position, I'd be tempted to sand the outside of the shaft down to the composite and then wrap it with some fiberglass repair.  Which would certainly add weight and probably modify the kick point.  I can't imagine jb weld at the crack location is going to do anything.

What I'd really do is swear and get another stick.

Mark

I've been picking up broken sticks recently to make some road hockey sticks for my friend's kids. One shaft I got was previously broken and fused in the middle (the 2nd break was near the blade). 

There was absolutely no flex in the area where the shaft was fused back together. 

I can't see how the stick felt or performed anything like it did prior to the break and subsequent fusing. 

I'd buy a new stick and not waste money on repair. 

I'm not impressed with the couple I've tried. 

There is a guy that must be a franchisee for one of the stick repair companies, and he's at a lot of youth and adult tournaments in my area.

He had one of my favorite sticks ever for sale that was repaired (APX2) and while the repair looked pretty solid in terms of quality, the price was still a little steep in my opinion for what it was. My concern was that if I hated it, I wouldn't be able to recoup near what he wanted for it (129.99) due to the fact that the repair stood out so much (in a visual sense. It just made the stick ugly imho). 

So I passed on that one. Kind of glad I did, as the 2 guys I know that have bought from him have been less than impressed.  I was able to give each of theirs a try in warm ups a few times though.

First thing I noticed is that the puck feel was just unresponsive. Both sticks felt like a lower tier stick in that regard. Just sort of "dead".

I should have prefaced that one was a 1x and the other an Ultra Tacks.

Shooting left a lot to be desired as well. I can't describe it, it just felt "off" and it felt like a chore to really get the stick to get off a decent and accurate shot. I understand it's the archer and not the arrow. However, I've shot enough pucks in my 5 decades to know if a stick feels good or not to me.

Take it all with a grain of salt though. This was one guy, and it was 3 years ago. However, it was a pretty big name in the stick repair game. 

I just think for the price he was selling sticks for (not sure what others sell them for) there are much better options. 

I'll also add, that if I spent 80-90.00 to have a stick repaired (I believe that to be the going rate), I would be really bummed out if the stick was like the ones I tried, and would have MUCH preferred to put that money towards a new stick.

That's just my experience, and it's an extremely small sample size. So take it for what it's worth to you. 

On 6/1/2022 at 12:51 PM, OzziesDad said:

I'll also add, that if I spent 80-90.00 to have a stick repaired (I believe that to be the going rate), I would be really bummed out if the stick was like the ones I tried, and would have MUCH preferred to put that money towards a new stick.

Yeah, for those prices, I'd rather just put that towards a new stick. If you're buying a clearance stick, that'll pay for at least 50% of the price.

Honestly, for that price, and from the description of how the repaired sticks feel, it makes me wonder if you could MacGyver your own repair by simply using a composite, wood butt end or something similar. Chop the two ends of the stick so they fit flush. Take the butt end and chop off the part that fits into the shaft and used that to fit the two pieces together using some sort of glue. For extra security, you could drill a couple of holes and put a couple of small bolts through.

It'll probably look ugly as hell, but would/could probably perform just as well as those expensive repairs.

I have had 3 sticks repaired through Integral stick repair. One was a upper shaft repair and two others were mid shaft.

the repairs cost $50 each

One was a 75 flex Warrior Alpha DX Pro that I found in the trash and the other two were 80 flex tapered shafts. 

I did notice maybe a slight change in flex, 75 now feels like a 80 and the 80s feel closer to a 85. If I was using the stick not knowing it was repaired I don’t know that I would know the difference. I have been playing for 40 years and I still prefer the feel of a two piece stick.

I've bought two from HSM. The results were mixed. The first one felt ok. It was a low kick and the break was well above the kick point. The second one was a mid kick and it never felt right. I think it was the location of the break and how they cut the top section before fusing.