Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Help Me Choose a Ride...long post.

So...I skate a lot at a fairly high level, and I have artificial hips...bottom line, it helps me (physiologically) to rotate pairs of skates.  My primaries are AS3 Pros, and they fit my feet (both feet) like they are a part of me.  I was using 2xPros (fit 2) as my secondary, but they just didn't do it for me.  Very comfortable, but not the performance of the Tacks because the fit is a little less perfect.  I did like that they have a bit more flex, so I went to the 100K Pro.  I figured, they are exactly the same design as the Tacks, and they have more forward flexion.  Well, they’re almost the same design...save for one critical area.  The toe cap where it joins the boot has a hard seam.  Since my left foot is an 8 and right is a 7, I've worn 7.5 reg/fit 2 and they've been perfect (in the AS3P’s and the 2xPs).  Unfortunately, the seam on the 100k Pro hits my left pinky toe.  I punched it myself (there's a thread about that) and thought it was cool.  Coaching in them was fine...playing...nope.  Took them to my local shop and had them punch it out...4 separate times.  That sucker is still there and still sticking me in the toe.  I really do love the way the 100k’s ride, so this is frustrating.  I can get by with it or just use a silicone pad, but on days when I’m in them for hours (like camps and then a game that night) it can get painful.  I'd rather just have a skate that fits, so...I'm working through some options.   Perhaps you’re bored and would like to get in on the process. So…
1- I could get 100K Pros in an 8, but they I'll be skating on 263 runners with the Tacks and 272 with the 100Ks.  I don't know if I'd even notice, but...it's a thing, so need to consider it.  I could change the holders if necessary.
2-I could get custom 100kPros...an 8L and 7.5R with 263's.  Pricey but my right foot is so comfortable that the prospect of both feet feeling that way is appealing.  
3-I could try FT4Pros...they appear to have the same toe cap construction as the 100kP though (the AS3 Pros have a different attachment design).  Could go custom here too.  Admittedly I am curious about how the JS feels on ice.
4-I could try True TF9's.  Challenge...no idea how sizes work (I know they run bigger) and I'd have to order online...nowhere to try them around here.  I also am not crazy about the holders.  Changing to XS holders would add expense but it’s doable.  Still...don't know how they flex or how protective...no reviews I see really compare them to Bauer or CCM.  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or in the right places.

I really want a more flexible elite-level skate that I can alternate with my Tacks.  If you have another idea...I'm all ears.  The hardest thing is finding reviews that aren't just commercials.  I don't need someone to read specs to me and tell me about the "awesome XYZ technology."  In fact...if I never hear the word "technology" in a gear review again...I'll be thrilled.  I want someone to say, "When I transition with a deep knee bend, I can really feel the boot flexing with my foot." or "I weigh 167 lbs, and the stiffness seems to inhibit my forward flexion during acceleration."  The Hockey Review vids and Beer Bum are helpful.  Hockey Tutorial seem like nice guys, but most of their gear reviews seem overly subjective, and they do things like compare sticks with different curve patterns and flexes.  Many other reviewers are just overtly subjective and silly and some are just taking skates out of a box and talking about how cool they look.  I can’t stand the way the FT4 Pro looks, but I could give a flip if they do the job!

So…what do you think?  Got any alternate ideas.  If I punch the 100ks any more I run the risk of breaking the cap…then…I’m stuck with them forever.  As it stands I can sell them as they are in great shape still.  Oh, and if you’re out there with a size 8 reg. 100K P and need a half size smaller for your left foot…let’s trade left skates!

FYI...61 years old, ex-D3 player, 5'9" 167, puck moving D-man.  Thanks so much everyone!

Edited by Jbear

I haven't because the CCM "regular" seems perfect for every part of my foot save for that one spot on my left pinky toe. I can certainly try them on, but wouldn't you think the whole boot will be less snug?  That is why I left the 2xPros.  I appreciate your insight...I might give it a try. 

4 hours ago, Jbear said:

I haven't because the CCM "regular" seems perfect for every part of my foot save for that one spot on my left pinky toe. I can certainly try them on, but wouldn't you think the whole boot will be less snug?  That is why I left the 2xPros.  I appreciate your insight...I might give it a try. 

OK. Well, it was just an idea. Having worn Bauer 6 D, and then trying a 6 E was not good. Although it felt okay when I tightened down the laces, it was actually a bit loose at the top of the boot and ankle area. 

Does it have to be a top-top end skate? For what it’s worth I’m about 175-180 lbs (similar playing background) and the FT490 has felt significantly better for me than the FT2 having skated in both. Older model but you get the parallel.

I get way better flexion out of the boot (both used top eyelet undone and with Tuuk Edge instead of XS) and don’t feel like I’m in a cast. Haven’t had any issues with the boot holding up either. 

If that isn’t an option a custom 100k seems like the right play but I’d give the FT4 (non pro) a look in your situation. The FT490 is my favorite skate since the old Bauer One90 which had crazy range of motion. 

• Like 1

Interesting take...appreciate that.  Can I ask what you mean by the Tuuk over the XS.  I much prefer the XS.  I had the LSEdge pop out on me twice with my 2xPros  (two different pairs). I also like the taller steel.

19 hours ago, Jbear said:

So...I skate a lot at a fairly high level, and I have artificial hips...bottom line, it helps me (physiologically) to rotate pairs of skates.  My primaries are AS3 Pros, and they fit my feet (both feet) like they are a part of me.  I was using 2xPros (fit 2) as my secondary, but they just didn't do it for me.  Very comfortable, but not the performance of the Tacks because the fit is a little less perfect.  I did like that they have a bit more flex, so I went to the 100K Pro.  I figured, they are exactly the same design as the Tacks, and they have more forward flexion.  Well, they’re almost the same design...save for one critical area.  The toe cap where it joins the boot has a hard seam.  Since my left foot is an 8 and right is a 7, I've worn 7.5 reg/fit 2 and they've been perfect (in the AS3P’s and the 2xPs).  Unfortunately, the seam on the 100k Pro hits my left pinky toe.  I punched it myself (there's a thread about that) and thought it was cool.  Coaching in them was fine...playing...nope.  Took them to my local shop and had them punch it out...4 separate times.  That sucker is still there and still sticking me in the toe.  I really do love the way the 100k’s ride, so this is frustrating.  I can get by with it or just use a silicone pad, but on days when I’m in them for hours (like camps and then a game that night) it can get painful.  I'd rather just have a skate that fits, so...I'm working through some options.   Perhaps you’re bored and would like to get in on the process. So…
1- I could get 100K Pros in an 8, but they I'll be skating on 263 runners with the Tacks and 272 with the 100Ks.  I don't know if I'd even notice, but...it's a thing, so need to consider it.  I could change the holders if necessary.
2-I could get custom 100kPros...an 8L and 7.5R with 263's.  Pricey but my right foot is so comfortable that the prospect of both feet feeling that way is appealing.  
3-I could try FT4Pros...they appear to have the same toe cap construction as the 100kP though (the AS3 Pros have a different attachment design).  Could go custom here too.  Admittedly I am curious about how the JS feels on ice.
4-I could try True TF9's.  Challenge...no idea how sizes work (I know they run bigger) and I'd have to order online...nowhere to try them around here.  I also am not crazy about the holders.  Changing to XS holders would add expense but it’s doable.  Still...don't know how they flex or how protective...no reviews I see really compare them to Bauer or CCM.  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or in the right places.

I really want a more flexible elite-level skate that I can alternate with my Tacks.  If you have another idea...I'm all ears.  The hardest thing is finding reviews that aren't just commercials.  I don't need someone to read specs to me and tell me about the "awesome XYZ technology."  In fact...if I never hear the word "technology" in a gear review again...I'll be thrilled.  I want someone to say, "When I transition with a deep knee bend, I can really feel the boot flexing with my foot." or "I weigh 167 lbs, and the stiffness seems to inhibit my forward flexion during acceleration."  The Hockey Review vids and Beer Bum are helpful.  Hockey Tutorial seem like nice guys, but most of their gear reviews seem overly subjective, and they do things like compare sticks with different curve patterns and flexes.  Many other reviewers are just overtly subjective and silly and some are just taking skates out of a box and talking about how cool they look.  I can’t stand the way the FT4 Pro looks, but I could give a flip if they do the job!

So…what do you think?  Got any alternate ideas.  If I punch the 100ks any more I run the risk of breaking the cap…then…I’m stuck with them forever.  As it stands I can sell them as they are in great shape still.  Oh, and if you’re out there with a size 8 reg. 100K P and need a half size smaller for your left foot…let’s trade left skates!

FYI...61 years old, ex-D3 player, 5'9" 167, puck moving D-man.  Thanks so much everyone!

How long have you had the 100K? If under 90 days you can return them for a full refund and then pay the difference for a pair of custom skate. 

• Like 1

Nope...got em on SidelineSwap.  Here's another thought...80k's? I had a pair and they were comfortable in 7.5D...I didn't really give them an honest chance.  Same size holders and a sweet flex profile. I do like that one-piece boot though.  Just spit-ballin'.

The Tuuk vs XS is a matter of preference on feel and I have a bunch of old STEP edge so it makes more sense for me to go that route.

Both holders are great IMO. 

you should maybe try new Mach they should be softer then as3 pro. I have as3 pro and also looking for new softer skates. I was in CCM shop last week and also tried 100k pro and they were really nice except that toe cap. I have 8.5D as3 pro but when I went for 8 wide 100k pro they feelt soo good but want to try Machs first (they should have wider toe cap) to decide and also ccm scan show up I should be in jetspeed 8.5 regular but they didn't have them. 

7 hours ago, Jbear said:

Nope...got em on SidelineSwap.  Here's another thought...80k's? I had a pair and they were comfortable in 7.5D...I didn't really give them an honest chance.  Same size holders and a sweet flex profile. I do like that one-piece boot though.  Just spit-ballin'.

Nah, go this gen 90k or NOS 70k's.

4 hours ago, Hanrider said:

you should maybe try new Mach they should be softer then as3 pro. I have as3 pro and also looking for new softer skates. I was in CCM shop last week and also tried 100k pro and they were really nice except that toe cap. I have 8.5D as3 pro but when I went for 8 wide 100k pro they feelt soo good but want to try Machs first (they should have wider toe cap) to decide and also ccm scan show up I should be in jetspeed 8.5 regular but they didn't have them. 

When you tried the wide...did you still feel the toe cap issue? I hadn't considered going to a wide.

1 hour ago, Jbear said:

When you tried the wide...did you still feel the toe cap issue? I hadn't considered going to a wide.

Wide will have an oversized toe cap so you shouldn't have that issue in the forefoot.

You might have problems though with heel lock, depth, or ankle wrap though in a wide skate. 

Yeah.. good points.  It's interesting...7.5 feels perfect in both feet even though they are a full size apart (7R/8L).

Oh well...in the day...no choices.  Bauer Supreme (96 or 92) or CCM Super Tacks.  Period. Nice to have options! 

On 6/15/2022 at 5:00 AM, Jbear said:

NO I do not also volume was better for me then regular(finally pass pencil test) but I was not sure about overall wide and also I have skinny ankles so no wrap at all but it is same in my AS3s.