Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
the_game

Warrior getting into skates?

16 hours ago, caveman27 said:

There's four major brand skates, Bauer, CCM, Graf, and TRUE Sports. Not sure if there's room (customer demand) for another brand to squeeze in. 

The same could be said before VH/True was in the market.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, x-axis said:

The same could be said before VH/True was in the market.

VH/True offered tech that differentiated it from its competitors.  1 piece boot and very heat reactive materials for an enhanced/superior fit.  For Warrior's sake I hope they have a similar tech advantage in mind for whatever they are doing.  If not, I don't see it being a good move for them.  They will need to differentiate their product from the rest to stand any chance. 

In the NHL, skate users are split at 68% Bauer, 23% CCM, 10% True (according to Geargeek).

Anyone have any idea what the market split is for general public?   I'm all for more selection and choices.  I'm rocking the Easton Mako IIs right now.  

Edited by CaptainCharisma
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 4:09 PM, the_game said:

I don’t see Graf as a ‘major’ brand anymore.

I wonder who sells more new skates in a year, Graf or some trash sub-Tron level skate people find on Instagram. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, the_game said:

Stumbled upon this and thought it was interesting: Check out this job at Warrior Sports: Product Engineer - Skates https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3116385282

Always scratched my head wondering with New Balance as the parent company why Warrior never got into skates, guess we’ll have to see if this comes to fruition.

Wow. I wouldn't want to apply just from looking at how that job posting is formatted. Looking at warrior.com, it's not up on their careers page.

I was hoping they would have acquired Alkali. Tron sunk that ship. Meanwhile Justin Hoffman was doing impressive things with their skates, and there were still a few Mission loyalists looking for a new pair of boots along those lines.

It'll be interesting to see what their angle might be if/when this comes to fruition. The direction their protective, especially gloves, has been going the last few years, my expectations are on the low end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

Wow. I wouldn't want to apply just from looking at how that job posting is formatted. Looking at warrior.com, it's not up on their careers page.

I was hoping they would have acquired Alkali. Tron sunk that ship. Meanwhile Justin Hoffman was doing impressive things with their skates, and there were still a few Mission loyalists looking for a new pair of boots along those lines.

It'll be interesting to see what their angle might be if/when this comes to fruition. The direction their protective, especially gloves, has been going the last few years, my expectations are on the low end.

Warrior used to make some of the best gloves.  Now they make probably the worst gloves on the market.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

Warrior used to make some of the best gloves.  Now they make probably the worst gloves on the market.

100%

On 6/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, iceman8310 said:

It flipped?  Good to know, I was considering making the switch.

Where to begin...

QRL were a great idea but the foams were way too soft/weak for protection and the finger pieces weren't sewn tight enough together so massive gaps appeared and sticks could easily get between them.

QX glove was basically the exact same as above.

QRE fixed a bunch of the foam protection issues but went down to 3 piece backhand padding. Which isn't the end of the world but annoying.

DX fixed most of what was wrong with QX, it was a solid glove.

QRE 10 put 1 GIANT piece of foam/plastic in the backhand which conflicts with how hands actually move. Flex cuff was more open which I think is a step backwards but is fine.

FR Pro & LX Pro... killed off the solid DX to make a cheaper in everything FR Pro. Which is pretty disappointing all around, meh foams, 2 piece fingers, restrictive cuff.
LX Pro is the glove no one really asked for, with good foams and overall design but a way too restrictive cuff.

I think the QR5 Pro glove is probably solid, but I haven't seen it yet.

The problem with Warrior now is there is just more competition for them as well. CCM still makes solid stuff, Bauer makes okay stuff, True makes excellent gloves, Sherwood even makes really good gloves. So they have to do something actually good and decent to warrant anyone going to them.

• Like 4

On 6/26/2022 at 1:51 AM, Hills said:

Where to begin...

QRL were a great idea but the foams were way too soft/weak for protection and the finger pieces weren't sewn tight enough together so massive gaps appeared and sticks could easily get between them.

QRE fixed a bunch of the foam protection issues but went down to 3 piece backhand padding. Which isn't the end of the world but annoying.

QRE 10 put 1 GIANT piece of foam/plastic in the backhand which conflicts with how hands actually move. Flex cuff was more open which I think is a step backwards but is fine.

FR Pro & LX Pro... killed off the solid DX to make a cheaper in everything FR Pro. Which is pretty disappointing all around, meh foams, 2 piece fingers, restrictive cuff.
LX Pro is the glove no one really asked for, with good foams and overall design but a way too restrictive cuff.

The problem with Warrior now is there is just more competition for them as well. CCM still makes solid stuff, Bauer makes okay stuff, True makes excellent gloves, Sherwood even makes really good gloves. So they have to do something actually good and decent to warrant anyone going to them.

Warrior should bring back the original franchise and all would be fixed.  Same materials fit, everything 

Edited by iceman8310

On 6/25/2022 at 10:51 PM, Hills said:

Where to begin...

Have never used True gloves, which ones do you like?

12 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Have never used True gloves, which ones do you like?

The 2nd edition XC9 were good, and the 9X are also solid. If you search on YouTube for them there is a few good videos showing why 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hills said:

The 2nd edition XC9 were good, and the 9X are also solid. If you search on YouTube for them there is a few good videos showing why 😉

I remember a certain review of the xc9 and I tried on a pair at BTM at one point and didn't like the cheap feel, but I never realized that they released another edition. How can you tell the difference?

1 minute ago, Miller55 said:

I remember a certain review of the xc9 and I tried on a pair at BTM at one point and didn't like the cheap feel, but I never realized that they released another edition. How can you tell the difference?

Old XC9 had zipper palms.

New ones look like this: FGL_333162877_98_a-TRUE-XC9-Gen-II-Senio

Will only really be able to get them on clearance now if  you can still find them.

Oh I was talking about pro stock

46 minutes ago, Hills said:

Old XC9 had zipper palms.

New ones look like this: FGL_333162877_98_a-TRUE-XC9-Gen-II-Senio

Will only really be able to get them on clearance now if  you can still find them.

In that case I don't think there are that version of XC9 in pro stock. So only really Catalyst 9X. But if you are going pro stock there is really reason to buy them when Bauer and CCM exist unless there is a very specific spec you are looking for.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:59 PM, Hills said:

In that case I don't think there are that version of XC9 in pro stock. So only really Catalyst 9X. But if you are going pro stock there is really reason to buy them when Bauer and CCM exist unless there is a very specific spec you are looking for.

Lol ya I'm still mostly in Easton gloves honestly