Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
honeless_blader

How do you choose a new stick?

I'm getting back into stick geekery and I'm curious how everyone deals with the seemingly endless search for the perfect new stick.

I'm fascinated by new curves, shaft geometries, kick point and I want to try them all but it's a lot of variables to consider (and pay for). I'm settled at 75-80 flex but that's pretty much all I'm confident in.

The video reviews from prostockhockey sticks are pretty good but I have a hard time translating their curves to retail curves and it doesn't address shafts. Are there any resources to help out?

Pretty open ended question and I'm sort of just looking for general thoughts on the matter.

I'm going through this right now and was about to make a post asking for some other sites or what people think. I try to find a stick/blade for less than $70 and give it a try for a game or two. If I don't like it, I try to sell it to someone. This approach is much easier said than done though.

I'd say, focus less on the tech and more on things that will impact your game, like blade lie, flex and pattern. 

I was lucky to goto a what would be classed as a mum and dad ice hockey shop in Toronto and I was able to try a few out and I worked out I shot better with a low kick stick (Ribcor) so i just took a liking to it. I would look at other low kick sticks but I wouldn't stray to far from Ribcor, so when my current one breaks I will just try to find a newer model in the same specs, lH 75 flex and p29. 

My recommendation...close your eyes and go by how it feels in your hands.  I like to have different flexes.  I have some injuries that flare up and when a wrist or shoulder is bothering me...I drop down.  Feeling strong and fresh...go up.  One thing...shooting on a non-ice surface is next to worthless for knowing how it's going to perform on ice...IMO.  If you get some used on SidelineSwap, you will save a ton.  Sell the ones you don't like.  I'm a puck moving D...I love the Lidstrom curve! Currently using a Warrior LX Pro (W02) after using AS3 and 4 Pros for a while.

I'll go to one of the major online hockey equipment retailers, Hockey Monkey or Pure Hockey, and then search for sticks on clearance. I'll buy what is there in my preferred lie in a right-hand stick. Curve pattern, kick-point and flex are a "beggars can't be choosers" selection. But, for the most part, I can play with whatever curve, flex or kick-point as long as the lie is right. 

After years of trying stuff and nerding out about sticks, for me, there's only one thing that truly matters to me, and that's flex. Everything else is negotiable in my books except flex. As for everything else, with curves, it's just about what I like to do and which curve allows me to do that easier without giving up too much of something else. With shafts and kickpoints, I use to think it mattered a lot for me, but now, not so much. I find I can adjust to different kickpoints, so I don't worry about it. At the end of the day, as long as I have the right flex, I can use anything.

Edited by puckpilot

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your design, but how a flex feels can change based on kick point 😬

The first thing I'd do is figure out exactly what you feel your stick does well and what it doesn't.  What do you like about your shots (of all types), passes (both giving and receiveng of all kinds), handles, etc. and what don't you like?  What do you think you want to improve and what don't you want to lose?  You'll be able to get a sense of how each part of the stick affects your game.

Then I'd think hard about how you play.  What position do you play?  What is your best stick attribute?  Where do you take most shots from, how far from the net?  What type of shot do you take most?  Do you make a lot of saucer passes?  Do you take a lot of faceoffs? What is the most important and least important stick skill in your game?  This will let you figure out what you need most in a stick.

Be honest and reasonable with these.  Don't expect to get a new stick/curve and all of a sudden have a 100 mph slapshot or Patrick Kane dangles.  Also understand that retail sticks and curves have strengths and weaknesses and you'll probably have tradeoffs.  You're not going to be able to all of a sudden be able to do everything well.  It's best to focus on what you do most and get a stick that will help with those attributes, ie don't get an amped midkick stick because you want the one slapshot a game you take to be harder.

And if all else fails, get a Jetspeed Team stick in your flex with a P90TM curve.  That would be about as middle of the road as you can get.  It's a hybrid (dual) kick point shaft with a blade that is a mix of just about every retail curve.  You can find them on Sideline swap for pretty cheap, and it performs pretty well for the price.  This way you can fine tune from there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your design, but how a flex feels can change based on kick point 😬

The first thing I'd do is figure out exactly what you feel your stick does well and what it doesn't.  What do you like about your shots (of all types), passes (both giving and receiveng of all kinds), handles, etc. and what don't you like?  What do you think you want to improve and what don't you want to lose?  You'll be able to get a sense of how each part of the stick affects your game.

Then I'd think hard about how you play.  What position do you play?  What is your best stick attribute?  Where do you take most shots from, how far from the net?  What type of shot do you take most?  Do you make a lot of saucer passes?  Do you take a lot of faceoffs? What is the most important and least important stick skill in your game?  This will let you figure out what you need most in a stick.

Be honest and reasonable with these.  Don't expect to get a new stick/curve and all of a sudden have a 100 mph slapshot or Patrick Kane dangles.  Also understand that retail sticks and curves have strengths and weaknesses and you'll probably have tradeoffs.  You're not going to be able to all of a sudden be able to do everything well.  It's best to focus on what you do most and get a stick that will help with those attributes, ie don't get an amped midkick stick because you want the one slapshot a game you take to be harder.

And if all else fails, get a Jetspeed Team stick in your flex with a P90TM curve.  That would be about as middle of the road as you can get.  It's a hybrid (dual) kick point shaft with a blade that is a mix of just about every retail curve.  You can find them on Sideline swap for pretty cheap, and it performs pretty well for the price.  This way you can fine tune from there.

This is the route I went, Jetspeed FT3 Grip Stick INT Flex 65 P90TM, Left. I've been very happy with mine, especially since I didn't have to cut it down at all. I play defense and take a lot of slapshots and wrist/snaps from the point and have scored quite a few goals in my beer league games with this stick (most of which were top corners). Occasionally I still sail one over the net, but those are few and far between after a bit of practice with the stick.

The P92 is the best selling curve for a reason.  It can do everything.

A mid flex is probably the safest flex you can use as it can do everything.

An 85 flex is probably the safest flex as, you guessed it, it can do everything.

I think the only question up for debate is how long your stick should be.  Short for better stick handling or longer for a harder shot.  I found that shortening my stick 1.5 inches changed my game more than curve and flex ever did.

All that said it didn't stop me from buying the Laine curve from prostockhockey..  It was a mid 85 flex though..

19 minutes ago, Beflar said:

The P92 is the best selling curve for a reason.  It can do everything.

A mid flex is probably the safest flex you can use as it can do everything.

An 85 flex is probably the safest flex as, you guessed it, it can do everything.

I think the only question up for debate is how long your stick should be.  Short for better stick handling or longer for a harder shot.  I found that shortening my stick 1.5 inches changed my game more than curve and flex ever did.

All that said it didn't stop me from buying the Laine curve from prostockhockey..  It was a mid 85 flex though..

I'd argue it's not the curve doing the everything...

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 8:01 PM, Beflar said:

85 flex is the safest flex for someone with the weight and shooting style to properly use an 85 flex. Saying it’s a safe fit for everyone is like saying “just buy a medium t-shirt, it will fit  you” while not knowing anything about the person buying a shirt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, start_today said:

85 flex is the safest flex for someone with the weight and shooting style to properly use an 85 flex. Saying it’s a safe fit for everyone is like saying “just buy a medium t-shirt, it will fit  you” while not knowing anything about the person buying a shirt. 

I would just stay away from 100 flex.  After that pick what you want.  For me anything lower than 85 feel like I'm shooting with a rope rather then a stick.