Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
penguinpelts

Warrior W01/W03/W28

Hey gang.

I've been using a W03 for a while now, and it's been fine. Lately I feel like the puck is jumping over my blade though when I really need that toe drag most, so I've been checking out the W28 and considering trying that blade out. Has anyone made that jump recently and if so what were your thoughts? I have no slap shot whatsoever, so quick wristers or snap shots is all I relay on. But that leads to my next question...

I've also been considering a W01 because I got to my backhand A LOT. But I'm finding it near impossible to find a Warrior with that blade pattern anywhere. Anyone have a secret site they use for Warrior W01 sticks?

And yes, I know I may be limiting myself, but I really like Warrior's sticks and they're my go-to now.

Pm9 aka W01 is pretty much out the door. You’re better off practicing backhands with a stick with more curve than constantly chasing something that’s off the retail market, and gonna be hard to find in prostock. 

Bauer just launched some Easton branded sticks, with the pm9 if you really want one, but then you have to give up the brand loyalty. 

14 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

Has anyone made that jump recently and if so what were your thoughts? I have no slap shot whatsoever, so quick wristers or snap shots is all I relay on. But that leads to my next question...

I made the jump a few years ago from the p92/W03 to the p28. But I actually went back to the P92 for a bit before I figured things out and started using the p28 again. If your mechanics are off, it can be an unforgiving curve. Sometimes it'll launch the puck into the rafters. Other times, it won't even leave the ice. You really have to get your hands out in front of the puck to use the curve, and you have to get use to having the puck at the toe to snap one off. If you're not normally a toe shooter, there may be an adjustment period as you re-calibrate. There's also may be an adjustment period because they're generally different lies, with the p92/W03 usually being a lie 6 and a p28 a lie 5. Though the p92/W03 does come in a lie 5 in some cases.

Good news though, there's a lot more flat on the back of the blade to work with for backhands. And toe drags are a little easier.

One weird thing I encountered after Covid. After being off for so long, I was having issues shooting with the p28 for a while. Maybe it was because I lost a bunch of weight. Maybe it was because I was waaay rusty. I was struggling to shoot properly with the p28. It got so bad, I went back to the p92 again, and used that to shake the rust off before trying with to the p28 again. I definitely needed to tighten things up with my technique for things to work with the p28. Like I said, unforgiving. 

19 hours ago, start_today said:

Pm9 aka W01 is pretty much out the door. You’re better off practicing backhands with a stick with more curve than constantly chasing something that’s off the retail market, and gonna be hard to find in prostock. 

Bauer just launched some Easton branded sticks, with the pm9 if you really want one, but then you have to give up the brand loyalty. 

I know... I started playing with only Bauer, and I know this may sound weird, but Warrior sticks feel so much lighter to me than Bauer ones.

I guess my real question is, if W01 = PM9, why does Warrior make it impossible to find a W01 stick in-store? I've even searched Pure, Monkey, Ice Warehouse, etc. in the $200+ sticks and W01 is never listed as an option.

Monkey has the W01 seemingly available in LX Pro's at the current. M03 could be an option for you as well, the max height W03, unless I'm misunderstanding a puck jumping over your blade. 

On 6/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, penguinpelts said:

Hey gang.

I've been using a W03 for a while now, and it's been fine. Lately I feel like the puck is jumping over my blade though when I really need that toe drag most, so I've been checking out the W28 and considering trying that blade out. Has anyone made that jump recently and if so what were your thoughts? I have no slap shot whatsoever, so quick wristers or snap shots is all I relay on. But that leads to my next question...

I've also been considering a W01 because I got to my backhand A LOT. But I'm finding it near impossible to find a Warrior with that blade pattern anywhere. Anyone have a secret site they use for Warrior W01 sticks?

And yes, I know I may be limiting myself, but I really like Warrior's sticks and they're my go-to now.

Do you shoot right or left? W01 is a little easier to find on prostockhockey.com in left. A lot of the recent results are "team" sticks though, which makes me think they may be in the 450-475g range. Not sure what your budget, weight preference are.

I'm with @Buzz_LightBeer though, can you elaborate on how the puck is jumping over your blade on toe drags?

22 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

I guess my real question is, if W01 = PM9, why does Warrior make it impossible to find a W01 stick in-store? I've even searched Pure, Monkey, Ice Warehouse, etc. in the $200+ sticks and W01 is never listed as an option.

Retail curves are pretty much limited to the equivalents of w88, w03, and w28 across all major stick companies. Fewer curve options means less production costs and less dead stock. And, if someone really really wants a particular curve, companies have another excuse to push them to custom. 

11 hours ago, flip12 said:

I'm with @Buzz_LightBeer though, can you elaborate on how the puck is jumping over your blade on toe drags?

I don't understand it either, but when I've tried to pull the puck back and load it up for a shot, the puck rolls up and over my blade. I've had some teammates say the same thing to me how the puck looks like I chopped at it to flip it on its side.

19 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

I don't understand it either, but when I've tried to pull the puck back and load it up for a shot, the puck rolls up and over my blade. I've had some teammates say the same thing to me how the puck looks like I chopped at it to flip it on its side.

I think you need to work on your shooting mechanics. I cant see how this is an issue with the curve, lie, or stick. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 1:58 PM, penguinpelts said:

Hey gang.

I get good lift on my back hand with a w10 and a w28.  Just got to know when you’re doing 

• Like 1