Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Favorite Ribcore 70k, 80k, 100k pro?

I'm getting new skates and unfortunately it'll be online (unless I opt for custom 100k pros)...would really love to hear from you who have gone for a slide or two in these.

Thanks in advance all! 

Well as much as I love my 100k Pro's. My pro stock MIC 70k's are without a doubt the most comfortable skate I have ever worn. Much more so than the retail 70k.

Edited by stick9

12 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Appreciate that! I have seen those available...and they're not too expensive! I love my 100ks but...that one spot🤬.

That spot is problematic for me in every CCM one-piece boot.  I think if they wanted to use rivets instead of stitching to attach the toecap, they should have made it slightly wider to accommodate the space taken up by the fastener inside the cap.

It's interesting (and frustrating)  cuz the AS1 and AS3 Pro is a different construction. I can wear those all day.  I just finished 2 weeks of camp.  On ice 5 hours a day...plus my own practice and a game each week...AS3 PROs only...not one uncomfortable second.  It's just better for my longevity to change flex profiles skating that much or I'd just skate Tacks.

Edited by Jbear

17 hours ago, Jbear said:

It's interesting (and frustrating)  cuz the AS1 and AS3 Pro is a different construction. I can wear those all day.  I just finished 2 weeks of camp.  On ice 5 hours a day...plus my own practice and a game each week...AS3 PROs only...not one uncomfortable second.  It's just better for my longevity to change flex profiles skating that much or I'd just skate Tacks.

Get the new ASV-Pro. The cap has been redesigned slightly. More overall volume that the Jetspeed and Ribcor. 

1 hour ago, PBH said:

Get the new ASV-Pro. The cap has been redesigned slightly. More overall volume that the Jetspeed and Ribcor. 

I saw something online where guys were warming the tow cap with a hair dryer or heat gun a little on both the inside and outside, then shoving a hockey ball or baseball in there just to raise up that the area where the tounge attaches and it worked out well.  Just an idea for those who haven't tried it maybe?

1 hour ago, PBH said:

I assume who have seen the new ASV-Pro's....are they as stiff as the AS3 Pros ( hoping you say no ) ?  

I did everything I could with my 100k Pros.  Heat gun...hammered a puck in to the softened cap...had my shop tackle it several times. It is better,  but still an issue.  If I had a team equipment manager, I'm sure it could be "engineered," but I've exhausted my avenues. 

As for AS Vs...no reason to believe they are more flexible than the AS3 PROs, but it's possible.  If they are using the same construction as the 100ks and FT4 Pro...that seam will be in the Tacks now too.  I haven't seen it yet. 

As much as I would love total custom 100ks...it's waaaay...less $ to try 80s or 70s.  I can always go custom later I suppose.  

2 hours ago, noupf said:

I assume who have seen the new ASV-Pro's....are they as stiff as the AS3 Pros ( hoping you say no ) ?  

They are as stiff but the boot does offer more forward flexion than the previous models. 

1 hour ago, PBH said:

They are as stiff but the boot does offer more forward flexion than the previous models. 

Do you know how they're achieving that increase in flexion?  I'm no kinesiologist, but it seems unnecessary to have a super stiff lateral flex profile.  Some stiffness is required, but I think the AS3 Pro was just overkill.

I love the AS3 PRO and for whatever reason...it's a very comfortable ride for me.  I found a pair of pro stock 70k that I may try.  Only drawback is the holders are SB 4.0 rather than XS.  I can always swap but it's still way less tha custom 100ks.  

4 hours ago, Jbear said:

I love the AS3 PRO and for whatever reason...it's a very comfortable ride for me.  I found a pair of pro stock 70k that I may try.  Only drawback is the holders are SB 4.0 rather than XS.  I can always swap but it's still way less tha custom 100ks.  

Go super soft and swap em out for Edge holders.

19 hours ago, Jbear said:

Anyone know if the toe cap issue exists with the 90k?  It appears to be a different design, but can't tell about the inside. 

The 90K is slightly wider. 

For anyone interested...the 70ks showed up today. The only pro stock mods I can actually see are a clarino liner, a reinforced tongue (unusual but comfortable and seems very protective), and higher quality eyelets the whole way.  There may be others that are related to foams or construction (I haven't had retail 70ks).  My first impression is that they are (as folks say) incredibly comfortable out of the box.  Also a really sweet flex profile. 

I took them to my LHS and had XS holders installed today. It's actually cheaper this way cuz I already already have several sets of Blacksteel from the AS3 Pros. I'll pick up tomorrow and bake them. I have a three hour practice/ scrimmage tomorrow, so not even thinking of wearing them unbaked for that.  Three games and a practice next week and a week-long camp,  practice and two games the following week, so plenty of opportunity coming up.  Total investment is about $500.  If they work out...that $600 less than total custom 100ks. These actually seem to have a nicer flex.  That's just in the house...only skating will confirm it. 

Edited by Jbear
  • Like 2

Still haven't skated in them, but I did bake last night.  These may be the first carbon fiber skate that I don't have to punch for my long-ago-broken-and-permanently-misshapen ankle😅.  Every other one exhibited some degree of discomfort just sitting with them on for 10 or so minutes.  I've had these on for about an hour...nuthin'!  Only the ice will tell the true story...probably Wednesday, as I don't feature using them for the first time in Tuesday's game.

So...update after a week of camp. 

Very comfortable, baked but no punch needed (nice surprise).  Fits well but not quite as form fitting as the AS3 PROs on the bottom (to be expected...two-piece boot) and the heel isn't as locked in.  Using Superfeet Carbon Pros, Blacksteel,  and Adrenaline Powerfoot. 

I had no problem going from the Tacks to the 70Ks and back throughout the week. Usually one pair in the morning session and the other after lunch.

Great flexion and very stable laterally...great combination.  All in all...really happy with the decision. 

Latest experiment...found a pair of 100K Pros on SidelineSwap. Size 8...I'm a 7.5, but hopefully it will alleviate the toe cap issue on my left foot cuz I LOVE the way 100ks ride!  Tune in for results! 

14 hours ago, Jbear said:

So...update after a week of camp. 

Very comfortable, baked but no punch needed (nice surprise).  Fits well but not quite as form fitting as the AS3 PROs on the bottom (to be expected...two-piece boot) and the heel isn't as locked in.  Using Superfeet Carbon Pros, Blacksteel,  and Adrenaline Powerfoot. 

I had no problem going from the Tacks to the 70Ks and back throughout the week. Usually one pair in the morning session and the other after lunch.

Great flexion and very stable laterally...great combination.  All in all...really happy with the decision. 

Latest experiment...found a pair of 100K Pros on SidelineSwap. Size 8...I'm a 7.5, but hopefully it will alleviate the toe cap issue on my left foot cuz I LOVE the way 100ks ride!  Tune in for results! 

I have a pair of customs for an AHL player that were returned. 7.5 length, E/A width forefoot/heel, thin tongue, oversized toe cap, 271 holders. Sounds like they could have been made for you 😉 

• Like 1