Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beerleaguecaptain

How Long Does a Stick Last For You

I usually purchase pro stocks, 95-100 flex.  I'm 6'4 230 lbs and have a decent shot for a 44 year old men's league player.  I play D and clappers / one timers from the point are my go to, followed by snap shots, then wristers.  I play twice a week usually and I'd say about 6-7 months in and I can tell difference in the pop.  By a year ( if the stick hasn't snapped or been chopped to death during play ) its usually done in my opinion.

Edited by noupf
  • Like 1

I have two Eastons I bought when I started playing again 5 years ago that won't die.  But my Jetspeed Pro I got for my bday got scissored between two guys and snapped like a twig.  If that doesn't happen, at least a year.  I don't really care or notice all these subtleties people talk about, I have no hands.

5 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

How long does a stick last for you guys before it loses it's initial "pop."  

About 120 days. I use a lower flex stick so they seem to whip out rather quickly. 

1 hour ago, PBH said:

About 120 days. I use a lower flex stick so they seem to whip out rather quickly. 

I was curious about this as well. Do you know if this is something they test? 

120 days of around the clock play time, or is that 120 days of playing 3 hours per day?

Edited by stick9

For me, like 3-4 months playing 3-4 times a week, adult leagues and pick ups. It’s usually not so much the pop, it’s that the blade gets soft and I can flex it with my hand. 

(maybe that also means my form sucks and the blade it getting more torque than the shaft is flexing, so the blade goes quicker)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I just find that after a few months the pop isn't the same.  I'm not a heavy shooter or anything and it seems odd.  Using pro stock True sbp 6.0 sticks.

Given that True sticks have clear durability issues in my experience at least compared to CCM, is it reasonable to believe that their effectiveness/performance/pop of a True stick reduces faster as well? 

And this is someone coming off a Pro Stock Project X that is my best performing stick of all-time. 

11 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I just find that after a few months the pop isn't the same.  I'm not a heavy shooter or anything and it seems odd.  Using pro stock True sbp 6.0 sticks.

Quit being modest. You drop bombs. 
Usually half way through warm ups is when my sticks lose pop. 

I find mine lose their pop right around the time I go 3 games without a goal, at least that’s what I tell myself 😉

I have two JetSpeed FT3's I bought almost a year ago to the day. I only use one though, and I play once a week, sometimes twice. (My wife has used my back-up one a few times in Rookie, so I'm not really counting that as usage, lol) I feel like its still holding up pretty good, I'll have to use my "back-up" one tonight in warm-ups to see if I can notice a discernible difference in the two. My shots and passes feel decent enough. As someone else mentioned, maybe the blade is softening up because I feel like sometimes hard passes are difficult to receive without kind of botching it. Then again, maybe its my technique. I do my best though to kind of meet the puck as it comes to me and then soft/firmly cradle it back as it arrives. :shrug: 

On 6/22/2022 at 11:43 AM, PBH said:

Hi Nick,

I’ve been trying to get hold of you for the last few weeks, was wondering if something happened! Could you please ping me re Flare?

Thanks!

K.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:58 PM, stick9 said:

I was curious about this as well. Do you know if this is something they test? 

120 days of around the clock play time, or is that 120 days of playing 3 hours per day?

About 10 hours on usage weekly, so roughly 160 hours of actual usage. I do think they test this, but thats more for durability and not the stick "losing pop." 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Hi Nick,

I’ve been trying to get hold of you for the last few weeks, was wondering if something happened! Could you please ping me re Flare?

Thanks!

K.

Will do. Been buried with a bunch of business things and traveling. 

On 6/22/2022 at 7:44 PM, start_today said:

For me, like 3-4 months playing 3-4 times a week, adult leagues and pick ups. It’s usually not so much the pop, it’s that the blade gets soft and I can flex it with my hand. 

(maybe that also means my form sucks and the blade it getting more torque than the shaft is flexing, so the blade goes quicker)

Me too. I never notice any change in shaft performance, the blade goes soft after a few months. Though it's about 50/50 whether I break the blade first or it breaks down internally.

I have a brand new ft3 still in the wrapper. Im gonna see how it compares to the one I've been using for the last 6-8 months. 

Why do I get the feeling it's gonna break almost immediately...