Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

Most protective wrap style girdle?

Howdy,

I apparently can't be trusted to stay on my feet...

Been using a CCM 7092 girdle the past few years and never really noticed a problem with protection, but after a couple decent falls over the weekend my hips are pretty hurting.

What're the best options out there for wrap style (or "easily converted to wrap style") girdles with excellent hip and tailbone protection?

Mark

I have the Super Tacks version of the 7092.  I came from a Bauer Supreme Total one girdle ( about 8 years old ) and I felt like I was strapping on military grade body armour compared to the Bauer.  I've gone down and blocked a ton of shots and i feel very little.  Its amazing how poor the total one was in terms of protection.  The hip protection with the super tacks girdle is good imo with those big ass caps on each side.  The tail bone protection is borderline / decent in my opinion..  If i am not mistaken though, I don't think the super tacks girdle is all that much different than your 7092, but i cant imagine there is a girdle with much more protection than the retail super tacks model, unless its pro stock or something.

EDIT:  Just saw the RBK 9K video.....that may be your best bet.  

Edited by noupf

I've never used one, but from what I've read and the YouTube video's I've watched, the 9K Pro Girdles are the most protective wrap style girdle available. They'll be heavier than retail girdles, but will be very protective. The original 9K pro girdles were Reebok branded, but there are some CCM 9K Pro girdles out there as well; so, search for both.

Here's a good video @Hills made comparing the Jetspeed girdle to a 9K girdle: 

The Hockey Shop in British Columbia, Canada had some of the CCM 9K Pro girdles in stock a while back, but they don't have any in right now. Here's what they look like though: https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/ccm-9k-pro-senior-hockey-girdle

There are a few Reebok 9K Pros on Sidelineswap right now: https://sidelineswap.com/en-CA/shop/hockey/pants-girdles-shells/girdles/reebok/model-9k-24/l11842

The 9k is more protective but it's a  heavy and bulky beast of a girdle. Have you tried just adding a piece of foam behind the hip pads of your current girdle? Something like a yoga mat or camping sleeping pad will do the trick. I would even look at adding some sort of supplemental pad to the CCM girdle you have if you are hitting an unprotected area before looking at the 9k. It's really overkill for non contact hockey.  

Edited by Monty22

Sherwood Code V. I find it to be the most adjustable as well. It does not contain any plastics to my knowledge though has lots of padding. 

The 9k has the most plastic side hip protection but isn't a wrap style. The Sherwood Code V overall has the most bulky protection in a wrap style and it is available at retail.

FYI, I own both of the above but I am currently in the super tacks. 

Howdy,

Thanks folks.

I watched Matt's reviews of the 9K vs. the CCM girdle plus his review on the Sherwood.  Decided I'd try the 9k and ordered one from Sidelineswap.  We'll see how it goes.  I guess I'll have to change my "getting dressed" order a bit. 🙂

Mark

This topic has gone around here a few times. The general consensus always seems to be padded shorts. There are tons of options.

Howdy,

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

This topic has gone around here a few times. The general consensus always seems to be padded shorts. There are tons of options.

I had a shock doctor impact hockey jock on.  Didn't seem to help much.  Not sure the padding was in the best place and also not sure how much 1/8" to 1/4" of generic pad helps.

I've been kinda interested to try out a 9k anyway.  This just put me over the edge.

Mark

I own both a Super Tacks girdle and a 9K girdle (had a couple 9k's over the years).  Personally I feel the Super Tacks is more protective than the 9K and lighter.  The 9K feels way more mobile out of the box where as the ST took a good season or so to really break in and loosen up fully (even now after a couple of years it's still not as mobile and free feeling as the 9K but this is prob die to the added padding so it's not a bad trade off).

The ST has much better tailbone protection (it has awesome padding there), much better spine protection with the adjustable spine piece where as the 9k has virtually no spine protection. 

Both the ST and 9K have height adjustable thigh pads which are both very similar padding wise, the main difference I found was the ST pads look like they were made for skinnier legs (overall sizing on the ST is way smaller than the 9K). 

Hip protection is about equal but I give the ST the edge since it seems to cover slightly more area than the 9K.  

Kidney protection - the St goes a bit higher than the 9K.

convenience - the 9K had the built in sock velcro which I loved, no need for a garter belt or jock shorts, the ST doesn't have anything like this which I think was an oversight on CCM's part (I ended up cutting a garter belt and sewing it to the shorts part of the ST girdle so I have a built in garter belt, I use a CCM Pro jock so it was either this or wear a separate garter belt which I was getting tired of).

Overall I prefer the Super Tacks girdle and after a little back and forth I haven't worn my 9K since well before covid hit.  One thing to keep in mind though, any girdle or pants won't give you total protection in the butt/hip area, there's always going to be spots that will hurt like hell if you fall just right (and then you'll always happen to fall on that same spot for 3-4 games in a row because why wouldn't you? Never fails haha), so if you want to protect those in between areas you might want to add a pair of padded shorts underneath like others have mentioned.

11 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

(I ended up cutting a garter belt and sewing it to the shorts part of the ST girdle so I have a built in garter belt, I use a CCM Pro jock so it was either this or wear a separate garter belt which I was getting tired of).

Would like to see a photo of how you did this if you have one. I also wear a CCM pro jock (with garters) but this sounds like it’d be more convenient 

1 hour ago, 218hockey said:

What's a girdle??? 🤔 Never heard that term in hockey before.

A girdle is another option for hockey pants, sort of like naked hockey pants.  Girdles are usually a little more form fitting so they move with you better and you need to wear a shell over them (this is a plus since you can have multiple shells for multiple teams you're on, this is also a negative because you can easily et addicted to buying pro stock shells lol).  Girdles have been around for decades, prob since 70's at least I'd guess.  They're less popular than regular pants for reasons I don't understand haha  I've been wearing girdles since the 90's and have tried to go back to pants on a few occasions but always ditched them and came right back to the girdle (pants always felt too bulky and heavy to me).

Super Tacks girdle:

girdle-ccm-supertacks-pro-sr-main-14801.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 10:18 PM, Westside said:

Would like to see a photo of how you did this if you have one. I also wear a CCM pro jock (with garters) but this sounds like it’d be more convenient 

It ain't pretty but it does the job haha.  I wasn't 100% sure about it so decided to sew the front one onto an old shinguard strap and attach to the bottom of the velcro area for the thigh pad adjustment.  For the back I just picked an area a little to the side that looked like it would hold, so far so good.  Only thing I would adjust is make the straps shorter since they sit low right now (have to roll the socks down a bit so they don't sag too much).

52170267738_87d1735fbd_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

52170742090_77a0c3705a_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

On 6/24/2022 at 2:03 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

Girdles have been around for decades, prob since 70's at least I'd guess. :

I’m pretty sure the first girdle was part of the Cooperall system, so it would have come out some time around 81-82.  I believe CCM had a similar system around the same time.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shooter27 said:

I’m pretty sure the first girdle was part of the Cooperall system, so it would have come out some time around 81-82.  I believe CCM had a similar system around the same time.  

CCM Pro Pac, IIRC.

• Like 2

Howdy,

So, got the 9k in and played with it in a couple games this past weekend.  A couple first impressions...

Its annoying to not have it be a wrap style.  Ended up putting on jock, then girdle without the legs, then socks, then skates, then shins, then socks fastened to jock (with is a little more irritating with the girdle in the way), then put the girdle legs in place, then pull on the shell.  I might need to see if the 9k's "diaper" will fit over my skates.  And maybe see if I can cut off the velcro for socks on the 9k itself, to get that out of the way of the velcro on the jock.

Its also quite a bit heavier and a little more restrictive.  Seems like that's the tradeoff for a decent bit more protection in front for pucks, etc. though.  Not sure on the hip protection yet, but it seems like its a little better than the 7092 girdle.  Still, the extra weight and more restriction is noticable.

Similarly, its bulkier than the 7092.  Shell fits a little tighter.

I need to get used to how it sits on my hips, etc. as well.  A few times it felt like maybe the shell or girdle or both were riding a little bit low.  I think this is just getting used to it though.  But maybe its the belt closure on the 9k being a little more finicky than the slip style one on the 7092 and not having the big velcro patch on the wrap closure.

Going to keep giving it a go.  Eventually I'll test out the hip protection.  🙂

My ideal girdle would have been the 7092 with with significantly better hip/tailbone protection.  I'm less worried about the puck protection in the front and that's where the 9k seems to be WAY better.  Maybe I'll franken mod the 7092, if the 9k doesn't work out.

Mark

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:26 AM, marka said:

My ideal girdle would have been the 7092 with with significantly better hip/tailbone protection. 

Isn't that a description of the SuperTack girdle?  Besides some of the adjustment bells and whistles, it is my understanding the SuperTack "upgrade" hits your needs. 

Howdy,

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Isn't that a description of the SuperTack girdle?  Besides some of the adjustment bells and whistles, it is my understanding the SuperTack "upgrade" hits your needs. 

I didn't think so, no.  My understanding was that the primary difference was the leg adjustment.  I'd be pretty happy to be wrong though.

Well, and if I'm wrong I'd like to know how the differences transfer to the JetSpeed girdle they actually make now.

Mark

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 10:04 PM, shooter27 said:

I had a goalie girdle by CCM. It was good. I bought it around 1987. As for fit, it was great. Very mobile feeling and not constricting. I doubt it would be popular today as goalies want the width of the padding to help block shots, not a form-fitting appearance providing less blocking area. Also, wouldn't work with goalies who want to tuck their chest protector in their pants.

Edited by caveman27

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I didn't think so, no.  My understanding was that the primary difference was the leg adjustment.  I'd be pretty happy to be wrong though.

Well, and if I'm wrong I'd like to know how the differences transfer to the JetSpeed girdle they actually make now.

Mark

I believe the differences are adjustable legs and the adjustable spine pad, slightly more soft padding around the hip pad, and the fact the 7092 appears to be more of a wrap where as the ST is a step-in.  The Jetspeed seems to be a hybrid of the ST and 7092, has adjustable thigh pads but a fixed spine pad.  I know there were reviews of the 7092 and ST girdles on here but not sure about the Jetspeed.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:20 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

It ain't pretty but it does the job haha.  

Thanks for this! Might look at doing something similar down the road. 

On 7/3/2022 at 9:26 PM, marka said:

Its annoying to not have it be a wrap style.  Ended up putting on jock, then girdle without the legs, then socks, then skates, then shins, then socks fastened to jock (with is a little more irritating with the girdle in the way), then put the girdle legs in place, then pull on the shell. 

This is the order I do as well with the ST girdle. Ever since I was a kid using pants I did jock->shins->socks/connect socks to jock->pants->skates. Took me a while to get used to the new way (jock->girdle without leg wraps on->socks at ankles->skates->shins->connect socks to jock->wrap thigh pads of girdle->step into shell), but like with anything, it eventually felt like second nature. 

Edited by Westside
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:26 AM, marka said:

Its also quite a bit heavier and a little more restrictive

I found it loosened up with use.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, marka said:

Its annoying to not have it be a wrap style.  Ended up putting on jock, then girdle without the legs, then socks, then skates, then shins, then socks fastened to jock (with is a little more irritating with the girdle in the way), then put the girdle legs in place, then pull on the shell.  I might need to see if the 9k's "diaper" will fit over my skates.  And maybe see if I can cut off the velcro for socks on the 9k itself, to get that out of the way of the velcro on the jock.

I go - compression shorts (with box), girdle, shins, socks, shell, skates. I agree that a wrap is more convenient until you get used to a dressing process that works for you with the 9k. My biggest hassle is, even after years of wearing a tight fitting 9k, I often forget to tighten the belt in the girdle and in my first shift I'm having to haul it up lol.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:03 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

A girdle is another option for hockey pants, sort of like naked hockey pants.  Girdles are usually a little more form fitting so they move with you better and you need to wear a shell over them (this is a plus since you can have multiple shells for multiple teams you're on, this is also a negative because you can easily et addicted to buying pro stock shells lol).  Girdles have been around for decades, prob since 70's at least I'd guess.  They're less popular than regular pants for reasons I don't understand haha  I've been wearing girdles since the 90's and have tried to go back to pants on a few occasions but always ditched them and came right back to the girdle (pants always felt too bulky and heavy to me).

Super Tacks girdle:

girdle-ccm-supertacks-pro-sr-main-14801.

Would you be able to fit roller hockey trousers over these? As my ice hockey shorts are on the way out, well they're not, but I fancy an up grade and something that can do both. 

11 hours ago, Left Wing King said:

Would you be able to fit roller hockey trousers over these? As my ice hockey shorts are on the way out, well they're not, but I fancy an up grade and something that can do both. 

I don't see why not.  Last time I played roller (prob 15 years ago) I wore my girdle under my roller hokey pants, iirc roller pants are always on the baggier side anyways.