Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Buzz_LightBeer

2022-2023 Gear Sightings

5 hours ago, Westside said:

Some additional info/closer photos were posted to Reddit. The Powerfly holder. New trigger section seems unnecessarily large compared to the current generation. Wonder if steel will be backwards compatible? 

Looking at the specs, steel "Fly compatible", so I assume it is not compatible to Edge.

27 minutes ago, Bolgar said:

Looking at the specs, steel "Fly compatible", so I assume it is not compatible to Edge.

Is it my imagination, or does this new holder seem taller? That might be an advantage. I'm probably wrong, and that they just changed the holder and the mechanism to block out 3rd party blade sellers and to make everyone buy new steel.

On 10/14/2022 at 11:47 AM, Wolfpack_1986 said:

Interesting new holders on this from Bauer's website....

BAUERAG5NTGriptacStickSenior.jpeg

Nothing like showing off an AG5NT stick that clearly doesn't have the ellptical taper.

This holder will most likely flex in the rear intentionally, will be interesting after everyone stiffened up and increased the posts on their holders on the past couple of years...

Let's get some facts out:

• Fly holder will accept only Fly steel. The center of the holder (steel channel) is skinner than the front and back, kinda like this )(
  • Fly steel will work with Fly or Edge holder. 
  • Edge steel cannot fit into Fly holder. 
  • Fly holder is stiffer in the front and softer in the heel to allow for more ice contact when coming out of turns. Same idea why they softened the rear outsole on the Hyperlite boot. Overall, it's significantly stiffer than the current EDGE holder. You cannot twist the Fly holder with your hands like you are able to do with the EDGE holder. 
  • Same height, same dimensions, some bolting pattern.
  • The trigger is grey, like the current EDGE holder. 
  • Weight is the same as the EDGE holder.
Edited by PBH
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, PBH said:

• Fly holder will accept only Fly steel. The center of the holder (steel channel) is skinner than the front and back, kinda like this )(

Is the parabolic shape only at the top of Fly steel or all the way through? I.e. does it have a parabolic shape at the bottom where it contacts the ice or only at the top where it engages the holder?

I wonder how that steel shape (whether only at the top or all the way through the) will fare in practice. That seems like a potential weak point, just like with Fusion and CarbonLite runners.

What’s the idea? Flex in the blade (will the bend more readily as well in case of a bad holder mount?), manipulating effective longitudinal radius, weight savings?

How will these play in Edge holders? Durability issues would seem to be exasperated by space between the blade and the holder.

Edited by flip12
a -> s

5 hours ago, flip12 said:

Is the parabolic shape only at the top of Fly steel or all the way through? I.e. does it have a parabolic shape at the bottom where it contacts the ice or only at the top where it engages the holder?

I wonder how that steel shape (whether only at the top or all the way through the) will fare in practice. That seems like a potential weak point, just like with Fusion and CarbonLite runners.

What’s the idea? Flex in the blade (will the bend more readily as well in case of a bad holder mount?), manipulating effective longitudinal radius, weight savings?

How will these play in Edge holders? Durability issues would seem to be exasperated by space between the blade and the holder.

Parabolic shape is only on the top of the steel where it engages the holder. 

I agree, this design seems like a bad idea. I told Bauer this and they quickly dismissed me. Not surprising. 

The change to the way the blade fits in the holder is supposed to accomplish one main thing. Keeping the steel locked in. Because of the parabolic shape the steel cannot shift forward or backward, thus if you take a shot off the holder the steel is less likely to come out. The trigger mechanism is 100% the same as the EDGE. 100% the same parts and design. 

I fear putting Fly steel in an EDGE holder would result in the steel twisting in the holder since its not making 100% contact the entire way through. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PBH said:

Parabolic shape is only on the top of the steel where it engages the holder. 

I agree, this design seems like a bad idea. I told Bauer this and they quickly dismissed me. Not surprising. 

The change to the way the blade fits in the holder is supposed to accomplish one main thing. Keeping the steel locked in. Because of the parabolic shape the steel cannot shift forward or backward, thus if you take a shot off the holder the steel is less likely to come out. The trigger mechanism is 100% the same as the EDGE. 100% the same parts and design. 

I fear putting Fly steel in an EDGE holder would result in the steel twisting in the holder since its not making 100% contact the entire way through. 

Out of their various alterations of the top 60% of steel from the Vapor 8 on, was the original Vapor 8 steel the best? Every other iteration seems to run into major issues related to structural compromises at the top.

10 hours ago, pisani34 said:

As of yesterdays game, back in his trusty jetspeeds and UCLP pants...

w.jpg

It took ONE loss to do this! I wonder why he tried out the girdle at all.

15 hours ago, Hills said:

It took ONE loss to do this! I wonder why he tried out the girdle at all.

Stayed in the jetspeeds tonight but went back to the ST girdle and put up 1g 3a.

Almost wondering if he's throwing on the girdle when he's gotta go with the shells for the new royal blues, and standard navy UCLP.  Seems to not bother him so much either way, not as much as the skates anyways.

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1583264075290931201?t=tkf_qQffyD7vW4ZNSgK9-w&s=19

Edited by pisani34

7 hours ago, pisani34 said:

Stayed in the jetspeeds tonight but went back to the ST girdle and put up 1g 3a.

Almost wondering if he's throwing on the girdle when he's gotta go with the shells for the new royal blues, and standard navy UCLP.  Seems to not bother him so much either way, not as much as the skates anyways.

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1583264075290931201?t=tkf_qQffyD7vW4ZNSgK9-w&s=19

It's hilarious with the skates. He's tried them dressed as FT2s, FT4s, ASiVs, where he's only worn them in a couple-few games at most, then right back to the trusty old OG JetSpeed graphics package. How many iterations of this will they go through? They might as well just give him the Modano treatment and let him keep the exact same boot and look until he retires.

26 minutes ago, flip12 said:

It's hilarious with the skates. He's tried them dressed as FT2s, FT4s, ASiVs, where he's only worn them in a couple-few games at most, then right back to the trusty old OG JetSpeed graphics package. How many iterations of this will they go through? They might as well just give him the Modano treatment and let him keep the exact same boot and look until he retires.

With CCM doing custom graphics... FT6 Pro with McDavid's Jetspeed graphics would be pretty awesome. Keep the retail models but offer his unique ones.

It would be interesting if he actually uses "NOS" OG JetSpeeds or if CCM still producing new Jetspeeds with an "outdated" graphics package. Keeping dedicated machining around for just one guy is probably pretty expensive, especially if there is a loss in marketing value with old graphics?

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 11:35 PM, PBH said:

• Edge steel cannot fit into Fly holder. 
  • Fly holder is stiffer in the front and softer in the heel to allow for more ice contact when coming out of turns. Same idea why they softened the rear outsole on the Hyperlite boot. Overall, it's significantly stiffer than the current EDGE holder. You cannot twist the Fly holder with your hands like you are able to do with the EDGE holder. 
  • Same height, same dimensions, some bolting pattern.
  • The trigger is grey, like the current EDGE holder. 
  • Weight is the same as the EDGE holder.

Is Fly going to be exclusive to the Vapor line or will it be coming to the Supreme line as well?

7 hours ago, shooter27 said:

Is Fly going to be exclusive to the Vapor line or will it be coming to the Supreme line as well?

I was told in person that all skates made in 2023 at specific price points will have the new holder. However, I have not seen any certified literature to back this up. 

On 10/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, winston9332 said:

Any news on ribcor 100K successor?

I think the Ribcor skate line is being discontinued.  The latest CCM catalog did not include any Ribcors in their skate lineup:

https://ccmhockey.dcatalog.com/v/23CCM_Catalogue_S1_NA_EN/?page=6

You could opt for FT6s (not FT6 pro) or the Tacks AS-590 which appears to have similar stiffness index as the 100k.

Edited by CaptainCharisma

4 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

I think the Ribcor skate line is being discontinued.  The latest CCM catalog did not include any Ribcors in their skate lineup:

https://ccmhockey.dcatalog.com/v/23CCM_Catalogue_S1_NA_EN/?page=6

You could opt for FT6s (not FT6 pro) or the Tacks AS-590 which appears to have similar stiffness index as the 100k.

It's complicated.

Some of the Ribcor features have been merged into the new Jetspeed line of skates thus eliminating the need to have a third line of skates. 

6 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

It's complicated.

Some of the Ribcor features have been merged into the new Jetspeed line of skates thus eliminating the need to have a third line of skates. 

Too bad they didn't merge the graphics...

• Like 2