Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Buzz_LightBeer

2022-2023 Gear Sightings

5 hours ago, start_today said:

Admittedly I don’t stare at NHL players ankles much (I’m a butt man), but pretty surprised that he tapes his ankles. Or that anyone in the NHL tapes their ankles. 

Pasta’s got little to no ankle involved in his skating, so it’s not a huge surprise. Krejci too. Krejci actually tapes the tendon guard though, along with a handful of players that still do: Coyle, Panarin, Perron, Rasmus Andersson, Pacioretty, and Barbashev.

Coyle only started doing it in the last few years, maybe after he started playing for the Bruins.

Pacioretty started a couple of years in. I wonder if his brother-in-law, Maxim Afinogenov, got him into it, but that’a pure speculation.

13 hours ago, UCMnumber8 said:

Pastrňák with Fenway Park-themed sticks and skates for the Winter Classic today. Scoreboard on the stick was a nice touch.

cut.jpg

Bauer should be selling all of this special paint jobs they are doing, same with the goalie stick.

11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

More than you think do. And there are also players that wrap the laces around their ankles. 

I'm one of those guys who likes to skate with the top eyelet un-used as well as flopping my tongue.  However, I feel like I would benefit with just a touch more of the very upper part of my skate being pulled in closer ( ie if i were to use the top eyelet ).....but even when I use the top eyelet and do it loose, I don't like the restricted feel of it.  Would putting some tape around the top of the skate help pull in the upper sides and give me the ankle movement I like.  Seems like it might......

7 hours ago, flip12 said:

Pasta’s got little to no ankle involved in his skating, so it’s not a huge surprise. Krejci too. Krejci actually tapes the tendon guard though, along with a handful of players that still do: Coyle, Panarin, Perron, Rasmus Andersson, Pacioretty, and Barbashev.

Coyle only started doing it in the last few years, maybe after he started playing for the Bruins.

Pacioretty started a couple of years in. I wonder if his brother-in-law, Maxim Afinogenov, got him into it, but that’a pure speculation.

The tape on Pasta's skate looks like it's just for the laces, doesn't really look like it's there for support.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

The tape on Pasta's skate looks like it's just for the laces, doesn't really look like it's there for support.

Can 100% confirm this is the case for Pasta.

2 hours ago, noupf said:

I'm one of those guys who likes to skate with the top eyelet un-used as well as flopping my tongue.  However, I feel like I would benefit with just a touch more of the very upper part of my skate being pulled in closer ( ie if i were to use the top eyelet ).....but even when I use the top eyelet and do it loose, I don't like the restricted feel of it.  Would putting some tape around the top of the skate help pull in the upper sides and give me the ankle movement I like.  Seems like it might......

It’s something you could easily test out. Give it a shot and let us know.

6 hours ago, AnimalFear said:

Caufield has been skating on the new Powerfly holders.

1245526009.0.jpg

I have seen quite a few people testing them out. I haven't heard anything positive or negative so I dont have an opinion on the new holders yet. I can say that at Bauer World when we got to tinker with them, they were significantly stiffer than the current LS Edge holder. The trigger mechanism is 100% the same as is the actual holder geometry. 

One player is specifically using the new holders with his old steel. He showed me how he heated the holder with a heat gun and stretched them out so he could use his previously profiled steel. Pretty comical. 😉 

• Like 1

I noticed that Fox had the flylite holders on tonight and looking at pics he had them the other night as well, the skates are also new for him as he was in an older Supreme earlier.  Judging by the past 2 games I think the new wheels are working well.

hEeKAp2-aHNdbxeb.jpg:large

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 9:44 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

I noticed that Fox had the flylite holders on tonight and looking at pics he had them the other night as well, the skates are also new for him as he was in an older Supreme earlier.  Judging by the past 2 games I think the new wheels are working well.

hEeKAp2-aHNdbxeb.jpg:large

Gauthier needs a fly lite holder for his head. Or just get rid of Blais. 

• Haha 1

These Tarasenko gloves... all I have to say is Cass Marques did a hell of a job to get these to resemble NYR gloves.  From what I can tell he covered the rolls and top of thumb in red, added the white on the index finger area, and swapped a Quicklite cuff on there, should hold him over til CCM can make some in NYR colors for him.  Someone in the PHEW FB group mentioned he's very particular with this old model glove and still uses the old Reebok green liners that CCM has stashed away just for him lol  curious to see how long it takes til he gets a new set.

FopLHixXwAMmPwV?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

These Tarasenko gloves... all I have to say is Cass Marques did a hell of a job to get these to resemble NYR gloves.  From what I can tell he covered the rolls and top of thumb in red, added the white on the index finger area, and swapped a Quicklite cuff on there, should hold him over til CCM can make some in NYR colors for him.  Someone in the PHEW FB group mentioned he's very particular with this old model glove and still uses the old Reebok green liners that CCM has stashed away just for him lol  curious to see how long it takes til he gets a new set.

FopLHixXwAMmPwV?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I think I paused the game three different times to study what was going on w those gloves

• Haha 1

How do they go about covering those areas in red and white ? Is it a material or some sort of ink or what? 

And, how uniform in coloring and style do the gloves have to be? I feel like I’m the 90s or early 00s you might see slightly different color combos on a team across brands, but at some point everything became the exact same across brands and models.  

I've been staring at more photos than I'd like to admit and it appears they put some fabric over parts and the shot blockers were a quick way to cover the majority of the backhand.  The red on the upper thumb doesn't cover everything but it's close enough.  I'm sure they give them some leeway after trades to get things to match.  As for the color combos, I feel like gloves had more personality back in the day with more combos, now everything seems so plain, you hardly ever see any more than 2 colors on a team's gloves now.  The Flyers gloves with the white cuff is the best new one I've seen in a while since it has some pop to it.

Howdy,

Speaking of stuff like that... What the hell is Marchand doing with his gloves for the winter classic uniforms?  It looks like he spray painted them with shitty tan paint from home depot.

Mark

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Speaking of stuff like that... What the hell is Marchand doing with his gloves for the winter classic uniforms?  It looks like he spray painted them with shitty tan paint from home depot.

Mark

In the guitar world, we call it relicing. 😆

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

That's exactly what he's doing. For whatever the reason he likes old ratty ass gloves. Also, I don't know if you noticed but one glove is a covert the other is an Alpha.

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

In the guitar world, we call it relicing. 😆

Relicing is taking something new and making it look old. This is more like Eddie's Frankenstein guitar.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 1:30 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Hills aka hockeyreviewsca had a really good Instagram post about this around the time of the winter classic. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

This was going around yesterday: Kaprisov's cut tongues.  I mean, I guess it would increase mobility a little bit just seems kind of pointless to me.

jbkGTghKFj3MdoP1?format=jpg&name=large

Depending on the flex profile of the tongue, less interaction between the shin and the tongue maybe? That could make ankle rotations less noisy cognitively. Less weight (10g roughly per skate) with a slight effect on skate center of gravity. Maybe he likes the look…like tongues in with even freer tongues out feel. Lots of potential subtle differences that could go into his thinking. I like how detailed a modification it is.

Edited by flip12
*Kaprizov. It bugs me how his name is mispronounced by substituting for a sound, ‘z,’ English already has.

On 2/25/2023 at 11:17 PM, flip12 said:

Depending on the flex profile of the tongue, less interaction between the shin and the tongue maybe? That could make ankle rotations less noisy cognitively. Less weight (10g roughly per skate) with a slight effect on skate center of gravity. Maybe he likes the look…like tongues in with even freer tongues out feel. Lots of potential subtle differences that could go into his thinking. I like how detailed a modification it is.

I personally Iike the way it looks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

I personally Iike the way it looks. 

Incoming r/hockey posts of "should I cut my togues too if I want to skate like the pros?"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nutters said:

Incoming r/hockey posts of "should I cut my togues too if I want to skate like the pros?"

Silly but sadly probably true. Kaprizov’s history disproves the premise though. He skated just as powerfully, and elegantly for years in the KHL, with plenty of photo and video evidence on photo.khl.ru, GettyImages, and YouTube you can point them to (not that you want to spend your time on that necessarily). Reddit could have a bit that just posts that whenever someone asks.

Edited by flip12