Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ggmunsen

New True Catalyst Skates

Thanks for sharing. I'm still debating if I should jump on the TF9's with that great pricing and just hang on to them until my 5 month old Vapor 3X's wear out.

Edited by beedee
  • Like 1

Wonder if the Cat5 is $299, would there be a $100 increment between it and the cat7? If so, would the top of the line catalyst then follow the same $300 stair step as the TF7/TF9 meaning the Catalyst and TF9 would be the same price? 

I loved that $450 intro pricing True did when the TF9 was launched. That got me to try out the skate and eventually switch from a decade in Bauer skates for both ice and roller. I’m not expecting to see that kind of deal with the Catalyst launch but am really curious to see how different (or similar) the two boots are. Definitely not a fan of the yellow, but that can all be blacked out and the only time you’d see the tongue is when you put them on (unless you flop tongues which you can’t really do with this style of True tongue) 

• Like 2

I’m also curious to see what exactly is different. The catalog description is pretty vague but if this is Trues attempt to refine their product for the Mako loyalists, I’ll be excited to see more. 

I’ve also noticed a few NHL pairs on Getty that lack the yellow colorway. Possible custom option?

1 hour ago, ggmunsen said:

Chabot looks like his are custom colorway, with more silver than anything and very little, if any yellow at all. Also has the CCM Speedblade XS holders on his. 

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/tim-bozon-of-team-france-in-action-with-thomas-chabot-of-news-photo/1399090135?adppopup=true

Tage Thompson wore an identical version. Hopefully it’s a custom option like the blue accents because yellow and chrome is awful. 

1 hour ago, jared9356 said:

Tage Thompson wore an identical version. Hopefully it’s a custom option like the blue accents because yellow and chrome is awful. 

If you want blue you could buy the TF7 or 9 goalie boot and get a Catalyst tendon guard installed.

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

If you want blue you could buy the TF7 or 9 goalie boot and get a Catalyst tendon guard installed.

I hadn't thought of this, but honestly, I would love to order a white TF9 goalie boot to use for roller. If the only difference in the boot is the tendon guard and frame, that would be easy enough to swap

4 hours ago, jared9356 said:

6 hours ago, ggmunsen said:

Chabot looks like his are custom colorway, with more silver than anything and very little, if any yellow at all. Also has the CCM Speedblade XS holders on his. 

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/tim-bozon-of-team-france-in-action-with-thomas-chabot-of-news-photo/1399090135?adppopup=true

It will be a custom option.

Super basic, but think of it the same way that the TF line is. 

Customs Catalyst Pro 
TF9 Cat9
TF7 Cat7
  Cat5

Cat9 offers the benefits of a custom skate but without the bells and whistles, similar to the TF9. The Cat Pro requires a foot scan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Westside said:

Wonder if the Cat5 is $299, would there be a $100 increment between it and the cat7? If so, would the top of the line catalyst then follow the same $300 stair step as the TF7/TF9 meaning the Catalyst and TF9 would be the same price? 

I loved that $450 intro pricing True did when the TF9 was launched. That got me to try out the skate and eventually switch from a decade in Bauer skates for both ice and roller. I’m not expecting to see that kind of deal with the Catalyst launch but am really curious to see how different (or similar) the two boots are. Definitely not a fan of the yellow, but that can all be blacked out and the only time you’d see the tongue is when you put them on (unless you flop tongues which you can’t really do with this style of True tongue) 

Competitve Edge Sports has the Cat 9 at $549.99, Cat 7 at $349, and Cat 5 $219. Seems like quite aggressive pricing at the lower end.

2 hours ago, Krev said:

Super basic, but think of it the same way that the TF line is. 

Customs Catalyst Pro 
TF9 Cat9
TF7 Cat7
  Cat5

Cat9 offers the benefits of a custom skate but without the bells and whistles, similar to the TF9. The Cat Pro requires a foot scan.

Well, this is partially correct. See this for better clarification: 

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:85882b7e-1b8b-3288-a9dd-53243a6c6bf2 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PBH said:

Well, this is partially correct. See this for better clarification: 

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:85882b7e-1b8b-3288-a9dd-53243a6c6bf2 

If I'm reading this correctly (which I may not be based on the junior pricing mistake) the key difference between the SVH and the Catalyst Pro is the shell. The SVH creates a fully custom carbon shell from the scan and foot last while the Catalyst Pro fills in an appropriately sized pre-formed shell with the skate innards based on the scan. 

Yes?

Edited by honeless_blader

So the svh replaces the tf customs. Aka updated original true customs. And the cat is the new like but isn't offered in a fully custom skate?

Kind of confusing. Weird how they wouldn't make a fully custom version of the cat.  

20 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

So the svh replaces the tf customs. Aka updated original true customs. And the cat is the new like but isn't offered in a fully custom skate?

Kind of confusing. Weird how they wouldn't make a fully custom version of the cat.  

I imagine they will see how the Cat sells and if there really is a market for a softer boot and go from there. Personally, I'm intrigued. I have 2 pairs of tf9s currently (ice/roller) and am very happy. That said, I would prefer a bit more flex forward and a toebox more similar to the Mako. But I also want to wait to see feedback on the cat series before buying (I also don't really need new skates as these are holding up extremely well)

If I’m understanding the vague lineup guide correctly, I’m guessing they’re giving the Cat Pro the Bauer/CCM custom treatment. Seems like the skate will be from a sized last with alterations based on the scan. I’m intrigued by the Mako similarities, but I’m gonna wait it out to see what exactly “custom tailored” means.

IW's YouTube channel posted their typical product spec videos for the Cat 5, 7, and 9 skates a few days ago.  No mention of flex profile or anything like that compared to the TF series.  Not sure I love the yellow, but if they mold and fit somewhat similar to the TF series and have better forward flex, I might have to pick a pair of these up.

@Hills I hope you can get your hands on a pair to give a comparison for us.  Looking at the size charts on IW, doesn't look like they adjusted the fit length, but not sure how accurate that is. 

Edited by krisdrum

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

IW's YouTube channel posted their typical product spec videos for the Cat 5, 7, and 9 skates a few days ago.  No mention of flex profile or anything like that compared to the TF series.  Not sure I love the yellow, but if they mold and fit somewhat similar to the TF series and have better forward flex, I might have to pick a pair of these up.

@Hills I hope you can get your hands on a pair to give a comparison for us.  Looking at the size charts on IW, doesn't look like they adjusted the fit length, but not sure how accurate that is. 

Unfortunately not going to happen unless True or someone sent them to me. I don't have the connection to get what I used to anymore 😞

• Sad 2