Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ggmunsen

New True Catalyst Skates

7 minutes ago, Hills said:

Unfortunately not going to happen unless True or someone sent them to me. I don't have the connection to get what I used to anymore 😞

Boo.  Bummer. 

Hey @True hockey - hook him up!!!!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Boo.  Bummer. 

Hey @True hockey - hook him up!!!!

Sorry to quote myself, but...

I just dropped a message to True's Instagram account making the case for them to provide Matt with a demo pair of Catalysts to review.  I suggest others here write a similar note.  I'm happy to reach out to them by other channels if anyone has good contact info for them.  I'm sure my Insta message will go into a black hole, but it was the only direct access point I could think of.  Open to other suggestions.  If we can get enough people to make the suggestion... maybe they'll see the value and do the right thing. 

I know for me the TF line review Matt did was HUGE to making my purchases. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, PBH said:

Here is info on the 2022 lineup. I have used all of them, excluding the new SVH model. 

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:85882b7e-1b8b-3288-a9dd-53243a6c6bf2

TRUE rarely gives out demos or prototype units nowadays unless you are a really large dealer or a significant influencer for their brand. 

Thanks.  I know you've posted that before, but could never see it on my work computer.  Just opened it on my personal...

So the Cat series is replacing the TF series based on this.  Interesting. 

PSA about the new Catalyst skates for those that will be ordering online without trying them on in-store. 

We have noticed they fit roughly 0.5 SMALLER than other brands. This is the opposite of the previous generation of TRUE TF series skates which fit 0.5 sizes LARGER than other brands. 

For example, in the TF9 I wear a size 7, in the Catalyst 9X I wear a size 8, in Bauer/CCM I typically wear a 7.5 (excluding the new Bauer Mach and CCM ASV-Pro skates, which I wear a size 7.0)

My suggestion is to try them in-store and not order online if possible. 

• Thanks 3

Howdy,

1 hour ago, PBH said:

PSA about the new Catalyst skates for those that will be ordering online without trying them on in-store. 

We have noticed they fit roughly 0.5 SMALLER than other brands. This is the opposite of the previous generation of TRUE TF series skates which fit 0.5 sizes LARGER than other brands. 

For example, in the TF9 I wear a size 7, in the Catalyst 9X I wear a size 8, in Bauer/CCM I typically wear a 7.5 (excluding the new Bauer Mach and CCM ASV-Pro skates, which I wear a size 7.0)

How's the width/depth?  I'd have said that the TF7/TF9 were both wider and deeper than 'traditional D width skates'.  Same hold true with the Catalyst?

Also True, this is where you sending a pair to @Hills for review might save you money on that 30 day fit guarantee...

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

Don't they have a 30-day trial period already? 

Seems like an expensive endeavor for them.  Instead of sending demo pairs to some high quality reviewers who can help steer folks in the right direction.  I personally don't think I would drop the money to try them, even with the 30 day trial, without more information from folks that I trust. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pgeorgan said:

I wouldn't personally put a lot of stock in any one single reviewer. 

I wouldn't either, but I think guys like Matt have proven themselves to be thorough and fair in their review of gear.  It sure beats relying on what the marketing department comes up with to try to move some product. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

How's the width/depth?  I'd have said that the TF7/TF9 were both wider and deeper than 'traditional D width skates'.  Same hold true with the Catalyst?

They seem about the same width and depth as the TF series. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pgeorgan said:

Sure, but at the end of the day I mean you need to try the product out to really know. 

That sounds like pure trial and error to me.  I prefer to make more informed decisions, if I can. 

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

They seem about the same width and depth as the TF series. 

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

Out of curiosity, in the last 3 years, which Bauer's and which Fit have you worn and what size? 

I found the sizing of the Machs to be spot on. When I do wear Bauer, its been the same skate size for the last several years, no matter the model I try. 

I have tried everything. The benefit of owning a store. Sizing for Bauer specifically on retail models: 

Mach: 7.0 Fit2

Ultrasonic: 7.5 Fit3

Hyperlite: 7.0 Fit2

Vapor 2X Pro: 7.5 Fit2

Supreme 2S Pro: 7.5 Fit2

Vapor 1X 2.0 : 7.5EE

Edited by PBH

I found the Catalyst skates to be the same sizing as the TF series except that there is a thicker foam piece in the front of the toe.

I was lucky able to bake both a size 6.5 and a size 6 and, as stated by everyone else, baking really changed how the skate felt from pre-bake.

Pre-bake, the size 6 felt way too short and and the 6.5 was the right size but post bake, my feet settle in towards back more and it was too large and wide.

The skates, open up a lot when baked but i did notice that there is a large front pad that affects the perception of sizing.

For reference, I'm a size 6 fit 2 in the Hyperlites and a size 6.5 fit 2 in Ultrasonics. Mach skates I only got to try on a size 6.5 fit 2 and those seemed to be perfect with a wider toe cap than the Ultrasonics.

Didn't get to try on a size 6 to see if the wider toe cap allowed me to fit smaller but the 6.5 had my toes barely brushing the toe cap pre-bake.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

Lol ya I think that's the point of why they offer it. Who am I to question them! 😀

I guess we see it differently.  I'm reading your suggestion as go into the store and try everything on.  Which I guess there could be some merit in.  I tend to like to narrow my choices down a bit to what I think will work, and then consider other options if I am proven wrong, especially when it comes to decent sized financial outlays. 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:16 AM, PBH said:

On 7/14/2022 at 11:21 AM, Asian Tomatoe said:

I found the Catalyst skates to be the same sizing as the TF series except that there is a thicker foam piece in the front of the toe.

I was lucky able to bake both a size 6.5 and a size 6 and, as stated by everyone else, baking really changed how the skate felt from pre-bake.

Pre-bake, the size 6 felt way too short and and the 6.5 was the right size but post bake, my feet settle in towards back more and it was too large and wide.

The skates, open up a lot when baked but i did notice that there is a large front pad that affects the perception of sizing.

For reference, I'm a size 6 fit 2 in the Hyperlites and a size 6.5 fit 2 in Ultrasonics. Mach skates I only got to try on a size 6.5 fit 2 and those seemed to be perfect with a wider toe cap than the Ultrasonics.

Didn't get to try on a size 6 to see if the wider toe cap allowed me to fit smaller but the 6.5 had my toes barely brushing the toe cap pre-bake.

Well, this just got interesting.

Question for Thursday who have tried them- is the boot lower cut than TF?

7 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Well, this just got interesting.

Question for Thursday who have tried them- is the boot lower cut than TF?

Isn't TF already as low cut as any boot out there?

On 7/16/2022 at 12:57 AM, flip12 said:

Isn't TF already as low cut as any boot out there?

Not sure, they don't seem much lower than my 2S pros though, maybe a drop

On 7/14/2022 at 11:16 AM, PBH said:

How does the Catalyst 5, 7, and 9 boot stiffness compare to the TF7 and TF9? Thank you!!!

On 7/14/2022 at 8:16 AM, PBH said:

Went to my local Hockey Monkey to try on the Cat9 skates. Since I wasn’t planning on buying them I didn’t have them baked, but tried on a size 8R (same size as my TF9) and they fit the same. Toes pressed pretty hard against the toe cap which would fit perfect after a bake. An 8.5 was a closer fit, but after baking they’d open up way too much. Prior to making the switch to True last year I wore multiple Bauer skates over the last decade, all in size 8.5D. 

So I’d say the Catalyst line fit the same as the TF line, which would be 1/2 size DOWN from Bauer/CCM sizing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Are the Catalyst Pro skates available to us?

I'm also curious about flex profiles among these Trues.

Edited by Jbear

On 7/21/2022 at 2:26 PM, Westside said:

Went to my local Hockey Monkey to try on the Cat9 skates. Since I wasn’t planning on buying them I didn’t have them baked, but tried on a size 8R (same size as my TF9) and they fit the same. Toes pressed pretty hard against the toe cap which would fit perfect after a bake. An 8.5 was a closer fit, but after baking they’d open up way too much. Prior to making the switch to True last year I wore multiple Bauer skates over the last decade, all in size 8.5D. 

So I’d say the Catalyst line fit the same as the TF line, which would be 1/2 size DOWN from Bauer/CCM sizing 

That might be your specific experience, but every single pair we have sold the customer has gone up in size vs the TF skates.