Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Stanello

Uncage - Dyneema Fabric cage, thoughts?

1- I thought it was a joke

2- If it isn't, is it rooted in an actual problem?  Does he have ANY data preceding the engineering process that says current cateyes obstruct vision and reduce saves?

Howdy,

Yeah... Is this "July Fools"?

The middle bar looks to be floating.  I'd like to see some slow-mo of that puck hitting that bar.  Gotta think even if nothing breaks it'll deflect back into a face.

Mark

Better visibility doesn't equate to more saves.

I would like to see a direct shot at the cage. That video showed the puck coming in flat where some of the impact was on the mask and not on the cage. 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:34 AM, BenBreeg said:

1- I thought it was a joke

2- If it isn't, is it rooted in an actual problem?  Does he have ANY data preceding the engineering process that says current cateyes obstruct vision and reduce saves?

I think the actual idea is being able to make the hole sizes smaller so injuries like Kuemper don't happen. The reason cateyes exist is to keep the bars out of the eyes which opens up protection holes. Smaller "bars" like these, with smaller overall holes aim to keep the same or better vision than cateyes while removing the gaps.

9 minutes ago, Hills said:

I think the actual idea is being able to make the hole sizes smaller so injuries like Kuemper don't happen. The reason cateyes exist is to keep the bars out of the eyes which opens up protection holes. Smaller "bars" like these, with smaller overall holes aim to keep the same or better vision than cateyes while removing the gaps.

But he states the goal is visibility.  He never once mentions reducing the opening size.  He's an engineer, and understandably, focuses on the solution, assuming he knows the problem.  Modern product development has shifted dramatically toward deeply exploring the problem space and the solution follows.

While this definitely may be a solution in search of a problem, the idea isn't as wacky as it seems.  

The fabric cords won't deflect or cave in like just about everyone expects.  They have incredibly high tensile strength in relation to their size.  I'd expect them to be as strong as metal.  If you lived in Florida, or any other hurricane threatened zone, you'd see that hurricane shutters are now being made of fabrics like this.  You take a sheet of it, stretch it across the opening, and it can withstand "missiles" from Cat 5 storms with the same ability as steel/aluminum shutters or impact glass.  There are benefits to this.  It's lighter and thinner, which increases visibility and comfort.  It can be arranged in patterns to limit sticks or pucks from impacting the eyes, while not impeding vision.  Impacts to the "cage" may not be as violent to the wearer because this might dissipate impact better than rigid metal.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:35 PM, psulion22 said:

While this definitely may be a solution in search of a problem, the idea isn't as wacky as it seems.  

The fabric cords won't deflect or cave in like just about everyone expects.  They have incredibly high tensile strength in relation to their size.  I'd expect them to be as strong as metal.  If you lived in Florida, or any other hurricane threatened zone, you'd see that hurricane shutters are now being made of fabrics like this.  You take a sheet of it, stretch it across the opening, and it can withstand "missiles" from Cat 5 storms with the same ability as steel/aluminum shutters or impact glass.  There are benefits to this.  It's lighter and thinner, which increases visibility and comfort.  It can be arranged in patterns to limit sticks or pucks from impacting the eyes, while not impeding vision.  Impacts to the "cage" may not be as violent to the wearer because this might dissipate impact better than rigid metal.

I use this fabric daily for making ultralight but ultra strong backpacking accessories. My backpack and tent are also made of Dyneema composite fabrics. 

I think I'd be less concerned with them withstanding direct puck impacts than with stick blades squeezing through areas that even cateye cages don't allow (in addition to all of the same areas where cateye cages are vulnerable to stick blades). At least with cateyes, any stick that gets through will come right out the same way. With high-tensile-strength cable, if a stick manages to squeeze through by deforming the cables under a high enough force to get through, that blade will be stuck right there and won't even be able to be removed from an eye socket or flesh by just pulling it back out. It's easy enough to snip the cables once the trainer gets out there; but by that time, the player holding the stick might do much more damage to the goalie's face, first, by reflexively trying to pull it back out during play before everyone realizes it's stuck in the goalie's face and being held there by those high-tensile cables.  

Edited by YesLanges