Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Would like to try True but...

Nowhere for me to try them around here.  I'm willing to grab used on SidelineSwap but no clue how to size.  People I ask are all over the map.  Some say size down a half...some a whole...others say same as Bauer/CCM.  I wear an 11 hiking boot/running shoe.  I wear 7.5 D/regular  in CCM and 7.5 D/fit 2 in Bauer.  I just want to try Trues.  I always have kids asking me for skate advice...as a coach...I'd like to be able to speak with some  knowledge about this. I also like trying stuff, so...there's that on top. 

Any sage advice? 

27 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Nowhere for me to try them around here.  I'm willing to grab used on SidelineSwap but no clue how to size.  People I ask are all over the map.  Some say size down a half...some a whole...others say same as Bauer/CCM.  I wear an 11 hiking boot/running shoe.  I wear 7.5 D/regular  in CCM and 7.5 D/fit 2 in Bauer.  I just want to try Trues.  I always have kids asking me for skate advice...as a coach...I'd like to be able to speak with some  knowledge about this. I also like trying stuff, so...there's that on top. 

Any sage advice? 

Anything you consider buying online, get them to post a picture where they measure the footbed. Sizing can be messed up, but the footbed length is a pretty foolproof method for gauging if the boot length is around what you'd prefer.

Volume can be tricky. Trues are luckily on the adaptable end there: highly moldable, easily swappable tongues so volume can tilt up or down depending on what you're experiencing and after.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Any sage advice? 

Are you asking about retail sizing in the TF9 or TF7 skates, custom or the new Catalyst skates?

I can provide some guidance for the retail TF9 and TF7 skates, but can't help with customs or the Catalyst line. I scan as a 7.5 Fit 3 Bauer (and have demoed 7.5EE Supremes at a Modsquad event in the past), was measured as 8EE on a CCM Brannock and wear 8EE Easton Mako II skates. When I tried on TF9 skates, 8W was obviously too big before baking, 7.5W felt good before baking and 7W had my toes HARD against the cap and felt too tight.

I still went with the 7W for a roller conversion based on watching @Hills YouTube video (search for TF9 sizing, hockeyreviews) and reading the sizing comments @PBH and others made in the True TF9/TF7 skates thread. I'm glad I did. After baking, I gained a few mm, but they still felt a bit tight. After about 10 hours of use, they felt just right with my toes just brushing. After several months of use now, they still feel very good - snug, but comfortable with good heel lock.

So, if you're a 7.5D Fit 2 in Bauer, I'd say that if you went to a store to try on the TF9 skates, you'd likely think you'd need a 7.5R and the 7R would feel too small. After baking and break in, I believe a 7R is likely the size you need. 

If you went into a shop and tried on a 7.5R TF7, you might even think that's too small since the tongue on the TF7 is much thicker than the one on the TF9, but again, I think after baking and break in, you'd want a 7R.

I'm not sure if they tweaked the sizing on the Catalyst skates to line up better with Bauer and CCM. Someone on another forum mentioned trying on a TF7 and the new Cat7 in the same size and felt that the TF7 felt a half size longer (and that was before baking). That's only one person's impression though. There's a lot more feedback on the TF line, with a lot of people needing to go down at least a half size vs. Bauer and CCM. 

Customs are another ball game. What I've heard of some people doing is asking for the code from the seller and then emailing True to get sizing information from them. 

• Like 3

Second @althoma1 input.  I would start a half size down from Bauer/CCM and see how that does for you.  Assuming you are sized well in your CCM and Bauers, you will probably be good.  With the 30 day return policy, there is no real risk by ordering them online, getting them baked locally and skating in them for a few weeks. 

I was in size 5 Grafs and 4.5 CCMs.  Used to be in size 5 Bauers but in hindsight realized I should have probably been in 4.5.  My Bauer scan put me in a size 5 fit 3. 

I have both TF9 and TF7s.  7s converted to Marsblades.  9s are my ice boots.  I am in a size 4 in both and I've replaced the thin TF9 tongue with a standard felt tongue from True as I liked the snugger feel of the thicker felt.  Both True skates were bought used so the padding was already somewhat compressed for me.  I did try on the TF7 new in store with a bake and they felt ever so slightly short, so I knew as they broke in (or if they were already broken in for me) they should be good.  I've debated the merits of trying a 3.5, but I think they would be uncomfortably too small even after a bake or two. 

These are the most comfortable skates I've worn.  No real hot spots, nice conformed fit.  Really a pleasure to wear and I've had issues in the past with discomfort.  My normal skate is 1.5 hours non-stop (no refs or stoppages) with just shift changes as rest. 

• Like 2

Ya if you're looking into tf9i would start with 7R and try 6.5R as well. Consider ordering from somewhere like ice warehouse and r return the pair that fits worse

• Like 1

Great feedback here. I'm in 4-5 month old Vapor 3x, Size 7 Fit 2. Toes barely brush the caps. I was thinking of trying out the True TF9 and plan on ordering a 6.5 Regular. Nothing really wrong with my 3x at all, just really curious to try out the TF9's, especially with their 30-day Guarantee.

Edited by beedee
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jbear said:

Wow! Thank all...lots to read here.  I'm thinking TF9 but would be open to others as well.

Food for thought.  I have found VERY little difference between the 7s and 9s.  I originally purchased the 7s and skated in them for a few months.  I originally had no intentions of even trying the 9s, but a really good deal came my way and I pulled the trigger, which allowed me to convert the 7s to roller.  The 7s are a bit heavier and maybe ever so slightly softer.  Obviously there is the tongue difference, but those are easily swapped.  The steel are different, but I haven't noticed any additional glide or durability from the black coated (they are NOT DLC) compared to the bare SS.  I've seen/felt no difference in fit or performance. 

I just realized if I try these (6.5), I'll have more adjustments to adapt to since I'll be going to a smaller holder from my size 7 Vapor 3x. Will the forward pitch be a big difference compared to my Vapors?

I'll just say this about that. I skate a lot and I'm a scientist,  so...pretty inquisitive. I have skated each period of a game with three different pairs of skates. I've also skated with two different types of skates at the same time. I find it easy to do, but...others may have a different experience.  I will say that my steel is all the same profile and roh.  Having inconsistently in that regard might be problematic. 

I am down half a size from what I wear in Bauers and CCM. In Bauers i was an 8.5 with toes brushing the cap, in Trues TF7 I’m 8.0. 

In store, prebake, the 8.0 felt almost too small, but I had read enough stories that it would open up on baking, which it did. 

• Like 2