Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
skates73

Injection eyelets vs traditional

Has anyone been a long time Bauer Supreme skates guy and have to go from the injection eyelets (MX3s, 1S, 2S pros) back to the traditional with Ultrasonics and Machs?

Is there a big difference in feel/performance going back to the traditional eyelets?  I'm afraid the boot will feel too different with different eyelets and the lateral boot stiffness won't feel the same anymore on the ice.

I'm hesitant to go to the Vapors because of the slight differences in boot construction vs the Supremes.

I didn't feel any real difference when I went from apx2's to Ultrasonics or AS3 pros. I didn't like the injected setup on the Hyperlites. So saying I'm still in my apx2's, I just can't find a compelling enough reason to shift from a near perfect fitting really stiff boot, to the point where I've kind of given up on new boots and will just get the holders replaced to give the apx2's a new lease of life (the sad life of a always searching gear head, I have Ultrasonics and AS3 pros sitting on the shelf).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I didn't feel any real difference when I went from apx2's to Ultrasonics or AS3 pros. I didn't like the injected setup on the Hyperlites. So saying I'm still in my apx2's, I just can't find a compelling enough reason to shift from a near perfect fitting really stiff boot, to the point where I've kind of given up on new boots and will just get the holders replaced to give the apx2's a new lease of life (the sad life of a always searching gear head, I have Ultrasonics and AS3 pros sitting on the shelf).

But you don’t lace your skates. Your facing could be made of gelatin and it wouldn’t make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went from Vapor 2X Pros to Jetspeeds and don’t really notice a difference or performance give up.

If anything I think the traditional eyelets wrap and mold better and if I were to order custom Hyperlites I’d opt for traditional over injected. That said, I don’t see myself switching from CCM any time soon. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Who not return the as3 pro under the 90 day guarantee 

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Who not return the as3 pro under the 90 day guarantee 

I got them as a brand new 2nd hand, worn once, 1/4 of the price deal. So it doesn't hurt as much as full retail price to see them sitting on the shelf but it still irks me. The main complaint I have with them is the heel pocket, it's a fraction to wide (D). I've made a mold of my foot using thermo moldable plastic and I'm going to have a go at trying to heat form the heel around the mold.

13 hours ago, flip12 said:

But you don’t lace your skates. Your facing could be made of gelatin and it wouldn’t make a difference.

Lol, I've changed my focus for this year and am consistently lacing the bottom 5 eyelets for training and games, I only go lace free when I coach. I did lace the Hyperlites fully up when I had them, hated the feel and the forward flex restriction and the lurking sensation of lace bite after about 5 games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Lol, I've changed my focus for this year and am consistently lacing the bottom 5 eyelets for training and games, I only go lace free when I coach. I did lace the Hyperlites fully up when I had them, hated the feel and the forward flex restriction and the lurking sensation of lace bite after about 5 games.

How many eyelets are on your boots?

Thinking about it more, it is a little weird that the Vapors are the only line that have the injection eyelets anymore of all skate options out there.  

About 50% of NHL players use Vapors or an older Supreme that had injection eyelets as stock.  Although many of them might have custom designed their skates to have traditional eyelets. 

I guess if the injection eyelet technology was that great more lines would have them or give them as an option with custom fitting. 

• Like 1

I can't stand molded eyelets,  but I know guys that love 'em.  When I had 2xPros, first thing I did was take a rat-tail file and bore out the eyelets.