Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Cosmic

What is the equivalent of the CCM P30? (discontinued)

I loved the CCM P30, but since it is not super aggressive in any way and just subtle in all categories, I guess it was not a big seller and has since been discontinued. I took a look at the P90TM in store today. It looks decent'ish, may be worth a try, but does not seem to be it. Just looking at blade pattern charts, the Sherwood PP14 looks perfect, but has that been discontinued? I cannot find it on any sites. I am not opposed to going the ProStockHockey route if anyone has a link to a stick that is a P30 clone. I am RH, 95 flex.

The p30 and Bauer p14 were my fav curves as well and can’t be found retail anymore. It sucks because I would love to try the new top sticks with it. Instead I’ve settled onto the p28 and it’s “ok”

you can get a p30/14 from prostock sticks in customized and that’s about it

edit: forgot about Bauer you can build with p14 which is similar on my bauer

Edited by Beerleaguebumhockey
  • Like 1

P90TM is similar to P30 in that it was subtle but had some performance features.  I'd say P30 was a P88 with a little more rocker and a kink on the bottom of the toe.  P90TM is a combination of the three main retail curves.  It's a flatter rocker and wider blade like the P88, with the heel twist of the P29, and the toe beak of the P28.  And the same Lie5 as the P30.  As someone who used both, I'd say that if you liked the P30, you'll probably be happy with the P90TM.  I personally love the P90TM, much more than the P30 (but that may be the stick itself too).  The Bauer P14 (and I guess Sherwood PP14) had a similar shape but it was shorter and not as much kink on the bottom of the toe.  I wouldn't call it the same.

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, psulion22 said:

P90TM is similar to P30 in that it was subtle but had some performance features.  I'd say P30 was a P88 with a little more rocker and a kink on the bottom of the toe.  P90TM is a combination of the three main retail curves.  It's a flatter rocker and wider blade like the P88, with the heel twist of the P29, and the toe beak of the P28.  And the same Lie5 as the P30.  As someone who used both, I'd say that if you liked the P30, you'll probably be happy with the P90TM.  I personally love the P90TM, much more than the P30 (but that may be the stick itself too).  The Bauer P14 (and I guess Sherwood PP14) had a similar shape but it was shorter and not as much kink on the bottom of the toe.  I wouldn't call it the same.

Not to derail - but I just picked up a P90TM.  Trying it after seeing my son love his and seeing many of the folks here enjoy it.  Been a P88 user.  I put both stick blades flat against the ground side by side and it looks to me like the P90TM lie is higher.  Maybe 5.5 or 6 compared to the P88 lie 5.  Am I not measuring/comparing these to each other correctly?  Or is there really a difference?  I thought the P90TM was a P92/29 with a toe kink and max height.  Stemming from CCM's prostock equivalent of the retail P29 being the P90.  If so, shouldn't the lie be higher?  Isn't the lie on a P29/92 typically 6?   

To add to the conversation, you might want to look into the Malkin or Hossa curves from Prostockhockeysticks.  I believe both are similar to a P88 with a toe kink.  He just posted his on-ice review of the Malkin on his YouTube channel this week and the Hossa was reviewed a few weeks back.  Believe he gave the edge to the Hossa, but liked both curves very much. 

10 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Not to derail - but I just picked up a P90TM.  Trying it after seeing my son love his and seeing many of the folks here enjoy it.  Been a P88 user.  I put both stick blades flat against the ground side by side and it looks to me like the P90TM lie is higher.  Maybe 5.5 or 6 compared to the P88 lie 5.  Am I not measuring/comparing these to each other correctly?  Or is there really a difference?  I thought the P90TM was a P92/29 with a toe kink and max height.  Stemming from CCM's prostock equivalent of the retail P29 being the P90.  If so, shouldn't the lie be higher?  Isn't the lie on a P29/92 typically 6?   

It's more like a slightly less aggressive P28, less open, not as rounded at the toe, not max height but taller than a P28 and slightly less rockered (so not a "variable lie" or whatever term they coined for the P28, more like a standard 5.5/6).  I never liked the size of the P29/92 or how it shot but being a P28 user the adjustment to P90TM was minimal.  There's a couple threads that discuss it here and there but this one seems to have the most info:

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

It's more like a slightly less aggressive P28, less open, not as rounded at the toe, not max height but taller than a P28 and slightly less rockered (so not a "variable lie" or whatever term they coined for the P28, more like a standard 5.5/6).  I never liked the size of the P29/92 or how it shot but being a P28 user the adjustment to P90TM was minimal.  There's a couple threads that discuss it here and there but this one seems to have the most info:

So I completely forgot I had a P92L5 in the garage.  The lie and blade shape between the P92L5 and P90tm are nearly identical.  The difference between the P90TM and the P88 is at the heel, the P90 is more rounded giving it that dual lie.  But I do feel it plays flatter than a P92, even the lie 5 variant, likely because of the toe hook.  You're playing with more of the toe down than heel like you might with a P92.

P28 is a lie 5.  Retail P92 is a lie 6. P90TM is a P29L5 blade, slightly less open from the heel, with a hook on the toe.  I didn't like the shape of the P28 blade, it's too tapered and the toe is too narrow.  And I feel like it's too closed through the heel with the change to the toe beak being too drastic.  It kind of created a dead spot for me where the puck would die if you didn't release it before or after that spot.  It made saucer passes tough.  I don't like the P92 because the toe doesn't have enough curve to it and I feel there's too much rocker in the blade.  The P90TM fixes both of those issues.

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

So I completely forgot I had a P92L5 in the garage.  The lie and blade shape between the P92L5 and P90tm are nearly identical.  The difference between the P90TM and the P88 is at the heel, the P90 is more rounded giving it that dual lie.  But I do feel it plays flatter than a P92, even the lie 5 variant, likely because of the toe hook.  You're playing with more of the toe down than heel like you might with a P92.

P28 is a lie 5.  Retail P92 is a lie 6. P90TM is a P29L5 blade, slightly less open from the heel, with a hook on the toe.  I didn't like the shape of the P28 blade, it's too tapered and the toe is too narrow.  And I feel like it's too closed through the heel with the change to the toe beak being too drastic.  It kind of created a dead spot for me where the puck would die if you didn't release it before or after that spot.  It made saucer passes tough.  I don't like the P92 because the toe doesn't have enough curve to it and I feel there's too much rocker in the blade.  The P90TM fixes both of those issues.

The dead zone on the P28 is because of the sudden change in flat heel-mid to aggressive toe rocker. It's quite open from heel to toe, making heel-to-mid saucers quite smooth if one is able to adjust for the deadening of the usual release point.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:36 AM, krisdrum said:

To add to the conversation, you might want to look into the Malkin or Hossa curves from Prostockhockeysticks.  I believe both are similar to a P88 with a toe kink.  He just posted his on-ice review of the Malkin on his YouTube channel this week and the Hossa was reviewed a few weeks back.  Believe he gave the edge to the Hossa, but liked both curves very much. 

I just tried the Hossa pattern from PSHS and didn't care for it at all as a longtime P88 user. I, too, have been looking for a P88 alternative with a little more loft, but the Hossa pattern was just not it. Trying the P90T next (pro stock from HSM) and we'll see how it goes. 

Also being a big fan of the P30, I've found the best alternative to be the Mackinnon Pro from PSHS. It's a CCM P71 or the also discontinued Warrior Gionta. It doesn't have the same "kink" at the toe, and it has less rocker than the P30, but it plays quite similar.