Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bl4

Favorite 4-Roll Gloves?

I'm in the market for a new pair of gloves, and I'm looking for recommendations.  I'm a longtime Eagle wearer (currently in an old pair of PPFs), but they've gotten harder to find over the years, and I'd be curious to try something new,  What's your favorite 4-roll glove on the market?  Open to retail or pro stock.

Pro stock Easton MiC or MiC Franchise. You can still get custom PPFs though, but the lead time is about 3-4 months for customs at this point.

From the general options though, I prefer the Bauer Pro Series, which used to be Nexus. Light and durable and a nice liner. Warrior quality is horrible at retail these days, and CCM hg97 would be in the middle for me. But Eagle is the best out there at this point, and if you can wait a few months and afford customs then imo it's a no brainer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have two pair of the Bauer Nexus.  I love the similarity to the Cooper BDP from a long time ago.  Other than that they are comfortable and the 15" fit my hands well.  

• Thanks 1

Miller pretty much nailed the state of play. I’ve always been partial to Franchise, Eagle and Easton in that order. 

Warrior’s decline at retail has been catastrophically bad/embarassing. Not sure if it’s a rising materials/input cost issue or the product design team is totally clueless, or maybe a bit of both.

CCM 4 rolls are OK, Nexus Pro Series are nice but not worth $200. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, all! Very helpful.

Cavs019 & Miller: If I were looking at pro stock Warriors, what should I keep an eye out for to distinguish the good from the bad?

Going w/custom Eagles is tempting. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a couple of pairs of x50s when they were still around.  (The PPFs are great, but the thumb isn't my favorite.)

4 hours ago, bl4 said:

Thanks, all! Very helpful.

Cavs019 & Miller: If I were looking at pro stock Warriors, what should I keep an eye out for to distinguish the good from the bad?

Going w/custom Eagles is tempting. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a couple of pairs of x50s when they were still around.  (The PPFs are great, but the thumb isn't my favorite.)

Pro stock Warrior Franchise ideally look for Canadian made, good condition, and the right sizing. Franchise gloves came in 13, 14 and 15 and 2 widths, narrow or std, which is more like a wide. The concern is that if you're going pro stock, there are lots of different specs and you won't always know exactly what you're getting, such as liner adjustments, extended or shortened fingers, materials, etc, so that's a big factor to keep in mind. For example, Chara wears 14s that are marked as 14s, but the fingers are extended because Chara is huge, but you would never know that from any markings on his gloves 

Personally, if you can swing the 2-250 for Eagle customs, and you can get through a couple more months, then I wouldn't think twice about it, and I think Eagle can make some of the x series gloves as customs, even though they don't offer it. Just gotta email Kelsey

11 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Bauer Pro Series, which used to be Nexus. Light and durable and a nice liner.

Right, we had some and this is true. But now have a pair of Nexus pro stock (2N?), brand new from a college team. They're nice but super heavy. Not sure what gives there.

Edited by 218hockey

19 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Right, we had some and this is true. But now have a pair of Nexus pro stock (2N?), brand new from a college team. They're nice but super heavy. Not sure what gives there.

Possibly the foam package is more dense due to increased protection, but I'm not sure

3 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Possibly the foam package is more dense due to increased protection, but I'm not sure

Yes, that's what I think too. They're great gloves with great protection but not nearly as fitted and supple as the 2S Pros my son uses for practice. Just a different type of glove altogether.

I love my CCM 4-Roll IIs (2012 model) (Pro Stock). Hard to find but super comfortable especially if you have a wide hand. 

I also have a few pairs of STX HPRs (2017 model) and for a 4-roll they are fairly tight in the backhand but I really like them. 

• Like 1

My Eagle L29 Vintage gloves made from real goat (horse?) leather are the best gloves ever made. Nobody can convince me otherwise. I have them in blue and I've been looking for a pair in black forever. I actually found a pair on eBay a couple years ago but someone else beat me to them. I would have paid double the buy now price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AnimalFear said:

My Eagle L29 Vintage gloves made from real goat (horse?) leather are the best gloves ever made. Nobody can convince me otherwise. I have them in blue and I've been looking for a pair in black forever. I actually found a pair on eBay a couple years ago but someone else beat me to them. I would have paid double the buy now price.

CCM HG97 is my favorite. I'd say pro stock 2nPro is right there too, but the palms on the retail gloves are waaaaay to thick.  They'll last forever but...can't feel the stick like that. 

• Like 1