Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Bauer 30% clearance

How long does it normally take for Bauer to put its products to 30% off clearance? If it’s going to be somewhat soon I’d rather just hope there are a few geos available by then. 

Don't most sites have last years Bauer models already on sale?  Well, at least on sale bc the newest version of that model dropped in the last moth or so?

2 minutes ago, noupf said:

Don't most sites have last years Bauer models already on sale?  Well, at least on sale bc the newest version of that model dropped in the last moth or so?

Yes but usually companies will put them on a bigger sale. 

6 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

Yes but usually companies will put them on a bigger sale. 

ahh, ok.  Well, when i worked retail years ago, usually you started with a certain percent off and you see how well they sold.  If those discounts didn't clear out the inventory of older goods fast enough, you marked them down farther.  Usually a month or two after the initial mark down.  However, if the goods did sell better, there was no need to mark them down farther until you hit a wall.  At that point, a majority of the popular sizes and such were gone and you were only left with odd sizes and such.  Risky game waiting is my point.....might not get your size or model.

Edited by noupf

20 hours ago, OldCY said:

I was told by Pure hockey staff the previous vapor line will not be going on close out. Will remain at full price!

That makes sense at the moment bc this version of the vapors are still the newest model.  Once Bauer introduces its successor next year, i'm sure this version will go on sale as well.

1 hour ago, noupf said:

That makes sense at the moment bc this version of the vapors are still the newest model.  Once Bauer introduces its successor next year, i'm sure this version will go on sale as well.

Stores here have 2XPro and Hyperlite protective in stores and the 2X line is still at full price. Is the plan to get people to buy the new ones for the same price or for $10-$20 more? Maybe, but seems odd.

hmmmmm, yea thats odd.  Maybe they aren't gonna do discounts on old product anymore.  I do remember some distributors in the non-hockey retail world would just recall old models of goods and then sell them elsewhere at discounts when new version rolled out ( I have no idea where they sold them to be honest after they took the products back though ).  Covid, manufacturing, supply chains and inflation have definitely turned selling and buying upside down all over the globe, i can tell you that much.  Everything from autos to basic goods and services, everything is whacky now.

Edited by noupf

Honestly, I've been wondering if we're reaching the ceiling on hockey equipment prices.  Bauer and CCM have been getting away with pretty good margins for a while now.  We've reached the point where a pair of top of the line skates costs as much or more than a 75" tv.  You'd think people are going to start to tap out soon, but we'll see.

5 hours ago, boo10 said:

Honestly, I've been wondering if we're reaching the ceiling on hockey equipment prices.  Bauer and CCM have been getting away with pretty good margins for a while now.  We've reached the point where a pair of top of the line skates costs as much or more than a 75" tv.  You'd think people are going to start to tap out soon, but we'll see.

I’d say that’s even more true when you look at the build quality and materials being used now vs just a few years ago. The new Hyperlite line gets rid of curv composite for foam and plastic. Say goodbye to poron for lesser foams. And so on and so on. IMO you’re getting much worse gear at a higher price today vs 4 or so years ago

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Westside said:

I’d say that’s even more true when you look at the build quality and materials being used now vs just a few years ago. The new Hyperlite line gets rid of curv composite for foam and plastic. Say goodbye to poron for lesser foams. And so on and so on. IMO you’re getting much worse gear at a higher price today vs 4 or so years ago

So true. Where are their new, stronger/lighter/proprietary materials?

I think the whole 1X Lite shin guard was made out of Curv Composite. Those were so light! Bought some 2S Pro's soon after and they felt like boat anchors.

14 hours ago, boo10 said:

Judging from the rest of the economy, there’s literally no ceiling for prices on anything, or the amount a company is willing to gouge is customers.

16 hours ago, boo10 said:

Serious question, do you actually know what their margins are, or are you just guessing based on retail pricing? Even if you know what their margins are, do you actually know what it cost them to produce, market and deliver products? Even if their margins are great. I doubt they sell enough to make a decent profit. Material costs have gone thru the roof over the past few years. 

FWIW, if people aren't happy with the prices, don't buy the product. The customer is the main reason why prices are what they are.

Edited by stick9

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Serious question, do you actually know what their margins are, or are you just guessing based on retail pricing? Even if you know what their margins are, do you actually know what it cost them to produce, market and deliver products? Even if their margins are great. I doubt they sell enough to make a decent profit. Material costs have gone thru the roof over the past few years. 

FWIW, if people aren't happy with the prices, don't buy the product. The customer is the main reason why prices are what they are.

Margins have stayed the same. The cost of goods has increased, so all of the brands have adjusted MSRP/MAP to maintain the margins. 

What has changed though, is unless you are a bigger store doing lots of volume you are not considered a premier account, and you don't hit all of the discounts for booking. This means a smaller store will likely have a 10-15% lower margin than a significantly larger store. 

Typically stores like Pure Hockey, Pro Hockey Life, Monkey Sports, and other big box stores also get rebates and marketing funds as well. 

Edited by PBH

23 minutes ago, PBH said:

Margins have stayed the same. The cost of goods has increased, so all of the brands have adjusted MSRP/MAP to maintain the margins. 

What has changed though, is unless you are a bigger store doing lots of volume you are not considered a premier account, and you don't hit all of the discounts for booking. This means a smaller store will likely have a 10-15% lower margin than a significantly larger store. 

Typically stores like Pure Hockey, Pro Hockey Life, Monkey Sports, and other big box stores also get rebates and marketing funds as well. 

The point I was getting at is, just because margins are high that doesn't mean they are actually turning a profit. I have seen plenty of examples of high ticket items where companies still lose money with each sale. 

No one here seems to acknowledge what it costs Bauer/CCM to design, build, market and ship a product. All that cost is factored into the product cost. Companies don't make a single penny of profit until that cost has been paid off. With these short product lifecycles and low volume sales. I doubt they make all that much profit from an $1100 skate.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, stick9 said:

The point I was getting at is, just because margins are high that doesn't mean they are actually turning a profit. I have seen plenty of examples of high ticket items where companies still lose money with each sale. 

No one here seems to acknowledge what it costs Bauer/CCM to design, build, market and ship a product. All that cost is factored into the product cost. Companies don't make a single penny of profit until that cost has been paid off. With these short product lifecycles and low volume sales. I doubt they make all that much profit from an $1100 skate.

If we are referring to the actual net profit, after factoring in all costs, they are making very little.

• Like 1