Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stljrs

FT4 Pro Shoulders

If you have the FT4 Pro, can you comment on how protective it really is.  The mobility is outstanding and the caps and collar seem fine but the thin foam body seems like it would not be protective at all.  Compared to say the 3D Printed foams on the Tacks mid lines and up, it seems like it just wouldn't do much blocking shots or taking errant sticks?  Thanks.

23 hours ago, stljrs said:

If you have the FT4 Pro, can you comment on how protective it really is.  The mobility is outstanding and the caps and collar seem fine but the thin foam body seems like it would not be protective at all.  Compared to say the 3D Printed foams on the Tacks mid lines and up, it seems like it just wouldn't do much blocking shots or taking errant sticks?  Thanks.

Best shoulder pad on the market currently. Fit, protection, mobility, weight, etc. Everything is good. 

Can’t speak to the protective aspect of them as I didn’t get hit or take any pucks to the chest when I owned a pair. They were light, fit great, and moved extremely well. For me they didn’t breathe well at all and that was the deal breaker as I already run hot. Wore Quicklites for about 6 years prior that breathed much better. Ended up selling the FT4 Pros and going back to the CLs which also breathe better

10 hours ago, Westside said:

Can’t speak to the protective aspect of them as I didn’t get hit or take any pucks to the chest when I owned a pair. They were light, fit great, and moved extremely well. For me they didn’t breathe well at all and that was the deal breaker as I already run hot. Wore Quicklites for about 6 years prior that breathed much better. Ended up selling the FT4 Pros and going back to the CLs which also breathe better

Just skated with a guy using FT4 (not the Pro), seemed actually better for breathability because it's almost like a padded fabric rather than the foam in the Pro.

10 hours ago, StinkyPinky said:

Just skated with a guy using FT4 (not the Pro), seemed actually better for breathability because it's almost like a padded fabric rather than the foam in the Pro.

The FT4 breathes better but does absorb water, whereas the FT4 Pro doesnt. That means they run a little hot, but similar to the fuction of Fillium by having a thin barrier of water, you actually lower your body temp since you arent sweating, sweat then getting wicked away into the base layer, and transferring it to the shoulder pad. That's why I love the Zenkai base layers. 

https://zenkaisports.com

https://filium.com/ 

On 8/3/2022 at 4:40 PM, stljrs said:

No complaints here. If you want something beefier you could pair them with a padded shirt.

anecdotal evidence, i have the FT4 shoulder pads, took a slide into the boards, and ended up with an AC sprain. Ive taken similar board impact with my RBZ and never have had an issue, in fact this was my first ever hockey injury that had cost me to miss significant time, luckily only about 3 weeks. 

Guys thanks for the comments.  My Bantam daughter went a different direction in the Bauer Supreme 3S.  The FT4 fit fine but she just didn't like how flimsy they felt.  The new Tacks have a float to the chest piece and it sticks out at the bottom by the stomach.  Not a great design and she does not have a big stomach pushing it out.  The caps on last years Tacks wrap around the front a bit and catch on stride.  Yea she's picky.  But the Supremes are light and mobile and actually fit her the best also.  Just wanted to give a quick update as folks were kind enough to comment.

I'm a CCM guy for skates and shinnies, but Supreme shoulder pads are really protective without being overly bulky or hot.  I did replace the caps with the ones from my old college pads (Cooper SB94).

Edited by Jbear