Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Bastion

Thoughts on the Hyperlite protective lineup?

The 2x pros were some of the worst elbow pads I’ve ever used. They never stayed in place and the funky/bulbous elbow pad would get hung up on my jerseys and felt like it would move if I fell on it. The curv composite forearm wrap was great tho. 

I say this because the new hyperlite line got rid of the only seemingly redeemable feature the 2x pros had (curv composite). Not sure why anyone would opt for this elbow pad vs any other brands/options on the market.

Check out the FT4 if you want mobility and low profile. While they’re not what I look for in a pad, I’ve heard good things about the new ASV line as well 

I'm the chairman of my local Bauer Lovers Committee, and their retail offerings over the last 3-4 years are absolute trash.

Forget rereleasing the Easton Synergy. Bauer needs to rerelease the entire APX2 line verbatim. Gloves, sticks, shoulder pads... all of it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Westside said:

They never stayed in place and the funky/bulbous elbow pad would get hung up on my jerseys and felt like it would move if I fell on it.

Kind of a crazy design. 

Bauer_Vapor_Hyperlite_Sr_Hockey_Elbow_Pa

CCM AS-V is probably the way to go if one likes the old-fashioned, decades old, vintage design, reliable and protective, JDP elbow cap.

rs.php?path=ASVPEP-1.jpg&nw=296

CCM_Tacks_AS-V_Pro_Sr_Hockey_Elbow_Pads-

Edited by caveman27

My current elbow pad favorites  are Warrior DX and Bauer 2sPro.  Love the protection of the AS1 but my inner elbow wasn't deep enough in the pocket and was consequently exposed.  Perhaps the AS-V addresses that. Love the AS1 shinnies and the FT4 Pro...I alternate depending upon whether I'm playing F or D.

Edited by Jbear

20 hours ago, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

Not trying to self promote but

Been subscribed to you for over a month now.  Your videos are good.

6 hours ago, Jbear said:

My current elbow pad favorites  are Warrior DX and Bauer 2sPro.  Love the protection of the AS1 but my inner elbow wasn't deep enough in the pocket and was consequently exposed.  Perhaps the AS-V addresses that. Love the AS1 shinnies and the FT4 Pro...I alternate depending upon whether I'm playing F or D.

Absolutely loved the DX! Shame the LX was a step backward in quality

I preferred the 3X Pro elbows to the Hyperlite.  It had a better fit and feel, the elbow sits in deeper and it covers a little more.  But it's still a little more mobile being it fits in the "low profile" design.

Edited by psulion22

Just now, psulion22 said:

I preferred the 3X Pro to the Hyperlite.  It had a better fit and feel, the elbow sits in deeper and it covers a little more.  But it's still a little more mobile being it fits in the "low profile" design.

Agreed. 

I haven't been a fan of much of the Hyperlite stuff.  The Re-Akt 150 helmet is better.  The 3X pro elbows are better.  The 2X Pro gloves are better.  From what I've seen, the 2X Pro shoulders are better.  Most of the protective seems to be falling short because Bauer over used the Thermo Core + liner (the red layer) to try and decrease the weight.  The whole point of that liner is to draw sweat away from the body, cooling the wearer.  So yes, it does absorb and retain moisture, that's what it's designed to do.  But it appers that they put in too many places to get away from using more traditional components, or had to sacrifice those components to include the liner.  The 2X Pro shoulders are pretty nice, I think they're better than the APX2s I had before them.  But I can see how the Hyperlite is a regression because of the liner.  The 2X Pro used perforated Aerolite foam in the entire back and around the ribs to cut weight and add ventilation.  The Hyperlite replaced all of that with the Thermo Core liner, which is mistake.  And the weird bicep strapping system seems to have gotten worse, which I didn't think was possible.  Much like the shoulders, the gloves are worse because of the liner.  All Vapor gloves going back at least as far as the APX2 Pros had the floating backhand pad.  But it was kind of thick and semi-rigid so it stayed in place.  The Hyperlite seems to have a thinner pad with the TC+ liner that doesn't stay where it should because it's more flimsy, again likely to try and cut weight.  The helmet is fractionally lighter, but loses all of the ventilation of the Re-Akt 150, one of the most comfortable helmets on the market.  The 3X Pro elbows were actually pretty nice, and my favorite of the few I tried on, as i posted earlier.  I like the 3 piece design because it's more mobile and less restrictive.  It's like a hybrid of a hockey and lacrosse elbow pad.  On the 3X pro the elbow is deeper and it fits more traditionally.  But, the hyperlite was almost floating on your elbow and felt strange.  So much so that the difference between the two was surprising.  I didn't like it at all.  I wear a girdle so I can't really comment on the pants.  It does look like they're using the belt system they've used in the goalie pants for a few years.  But there, you're tucking the chesty in and tightening the belt, so there's something bewteen you and the belt.  And I'll never switch from my 1S shins, so I have no need to look at the Hyperlites.

it's pretty disappointing because Bauer is absolutely killing it with the newest lines of goalie gear. They have redesigned and innovated every piece of gear, while fixing the durability issues they had.  The Mach and Hyperlite gear is really pushing the envelope in terms of performance and quality.  And the Konekt skates are downright crazy but they seem to work every bit as well as advertised, which is rare.  It's too bad the player gear has been falling so short the last few years.

Edited by psulion22

We looked at the Hyperlite Shoulder pads.  Not a good design.  Look on top by the caps and you will see a red plastic piece.  That plastic is also on the underside unpadded.  My daughter felt that plastic on her shoulder and immediately took them off.  It's on the 3X Pro version also.  What was Bauer thinking?

On 8/12/2022 at 8:57 AM, stljrs said:

We looked at the Hyperlite Shoulder pads.  Not a good design.  Look on top by the caps and you will see a red plastic piece.  That plastic is also on the underside unpadded.  My daughter felt that plastic on her shoulder and immediately took them off.  It's on the 3X Pro version also.  What was Bauer thinking?

I think Bauer is spending too much time chasing weight and compromising mobility, durability, and protection. 

The new Vapor protective is overpriced (for what it is) and can only provide enough protection for lower-level players or very young players (under the age of 13). 

I can't imagine any U16AAA/U18AAA/NCAA/USHL/WHL players wearing that protective line. 

Edited by PBH

2 hours ago, PBH said:

I think Bauer is spending too much time chasing weight and compromising mobility, durability, and protection. 

The new Vapor protective is overpriced (for what it is) and can only provide enough protection for lower-level players or very young players (under the age of 13). 

I can't imagine any U16AAA/U18AAA/NCAA D1/USHL player wearing that protective line. 

Chosing money more than anything.

I get that making money is the point of running a business, but their strategy looks to have shifted to carving out as much quality as possible to save on cost and charging even more because they think they’re the ‘Apple of hockey.’

• Like 1