Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
hockeyfan92

STX Hockey discontinued?

Hey everyone. I wanted to know if anyone had any 'inside' information regarding STX. It seems like their hockey line hasn't had any traction or update in months. 

I wanted to try and find a Halo stick (supposed lightest on the market), but nobody seems to carry it. Their website doesn't even have a page for the model - it redirects to a 404 not found. I know they dropped out of the NHL sponsoring gig, but can't find anything new about them. 

I don't even see our local hockey shops carry them, Amazon seems to be their distributor now? 

Thanks

I know their social media person is no longer with them. Which is probably one of the reasons their socials haven't been updated really.

I think the writing on the wall for hockey being done completely was there for a while now. Not sure if the Halo gloves were the last ditch hope or just the last product that was in development.

As for the Halo stick, I'd ignore it. It was very light and impressive for weight when it came out, but now every company has a lighter stick. STX also had issues with blade durability on them and had a lot of warranty returns because of it.

1 hour ago, hockeyfan92 said:

I don't even see our local hockey shops carry them, Amazon seems to be their distributor now?

STX has been direct to consumer for the last 5 or so years which is why you don’t see their gear in any stores 

They'd been selling direct to customers for the last few years, so no one local will have them in stock.  Does look like the Halo stick is gone from site, but most everything else is there.  Besides their gloves and RX3 elbows, which are pretty good, not sure anything else really hit the mark.  I used their sticks for awhile.  They were ok, but nothing compared to the big 3. 

I hope they aren't dead as I really like the Surgeon 500 and Halo gloves I own and I was impressed by the elbow pads when I tried them on years ago.

Looks like they're as good as gone. Limited stock at reduced prices, nothing new besides the Halo stuff in 3+ years.  

After not landing Matthews and not paying the licensing fees they seemed to have given up.

It's unfortunate, they tried new things and made quality products, but were to small of a name to go with the direct to consumer model. Being able to try things in stores is big as opposed to the hassle of mailing back a pair of pants that don't fit right.

10 minutes ago, nutters said:

Looks like they're as good as gone. Limited stock at reduced prices, nothing new besides the Halo stuff in 3+ years.  

After not landing Matthews and not paying the licensing fees they seemed to have given up.

It's unfortunate, they tried new things and made quality products, but were to small of a name to go with the direct to consumer model. Being able to try things in stores is big as opposed to the hassle of mailing back a pair of pants that don't fit right.

I liked the Halo gloves, and their gear was decent, especially for the price. Bummed if they are dropping out.

• Like 1

I have the RX3 shoulder pads.  No complaints on my end.  Exactly what I was looking for.  

Sad to hear they're folding their hockey division. 

Hopefully I can snag a pair of Halo gloves as soon as prices start to drop a bit.  

• Like 1

I use their Surgeon line of sticks and have ordered from them in the last couple of months. Nothing about their website looks any different from when I last ordered.

Loos like its been about a month since they posted on social. Not sure if that means the company is shutting down it's Ice Hockey division...

Looks like most of the gear is sold out, hasn't been updated in a long time.  I remember looking back in the fall/winter and the same stuff was there and was sold out at that time too (I was always interested in trying their HPR elbows but they haven't had stock in ages).  My guess is the Halo gloves were the last thing they produced and they're just selling off old stock of everything else now.

Hockey community: “I hate how expensive everything is and how nothing really changes.

STX: Hey guys, look at these different ideas we are trotting out.

Hockey community: Oooooooh, Bauer slapped a new model name on the supreme line and is charging 10% more than last year for effectively the same product. It must be great! 

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, start_today said:

Hockey community: “I hate how expensive everything is and how nothing really changes.

Hockey community: Oooooooh, Bauer slapped a new model name on the supreme line and is charging 10% more than last year for effectively the same product. It must be great! 

Like how Bauer gets flowers for the ER Spine, but STX did it better with the PureGrip shaft before them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nutters said:

Like how Bauer gets flowers for the ER Spine, but STX did it better with the PureGrip shaft before them.

If you can't drive it to the market, you aren't going to get credit.  People invent stuff all the time that goes nowhere, you need more than invention to be successful.

5 hours ago, start_today said:

doesn't help that in some hockey circles you can get 'chirped' for wearing anything but the big three.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, Westside said:

STX has been direct to consumer for the last 5 or so years which is why you don’t see their gear in any stores 

I swear our local hockey shop had some in stock years ago. Could be my mind playing tricks on me lol. 

6 minutes ago, hockeyfan92 said:

doesn't help that in some hockey circles you can get 'chirped' for wearing anything but the big three.

In some circles you'll get chirpped for wearing anything other than your gear from HS/Junior.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

If you can't drive it to the market, you aren't going to get credit.  People invent stuff all the time that goes nowhere, you need more than invention to be successful.

Oh for sure and unfortunate, but it still doesn't change STX's being better. Even, the Ribcor shaft is better than the Nexus one. However, that's another convo

I just saw a FB post from STX that they are having a US only tent sale on all hockey equipment starting this Thursday. 

I am not sure if this means that they are just clearing out remaining inventory before exiting hockey or if they are making room for new products. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

I just saw a FB post from STX that they are having a US only tent sale on all hockey equipment starting this Thursday. 

I am not sure if this means that they are just clearing out remaining inventory before exiting hockey or if they are making room for new products. 

They have a “tent” sale every year I believe. They did already have one a few months ago however so that could be worrying, but I guess now may be a good time for me to get a 4th pair of their elbow pads 🙂 .  And a few other items. 

• Like 1

I have the Surgeon elbows, shoulders, and shinguards and like all of them. Those are all pieces of equipment I want to do their job without me noticing them, and they totally do that. It’s been a few years and they are all holding up fine. I think I got them in fall of 2019, and play 3-4 nights of adult league hockey a week.