Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
noupf

AS3 Pro Skates coming apart

Thought this was interesting.  College level player says his AS3 Pro Skates are creasing and coming apart after a year of use.  Seeing comments about CCM's skate quality being poor from others in the thread too.   

I also noticed some comments saying that say top spec skates are not made for durability, but only for performance and that they will break down faster.....personally I've never heard that line of thinking before.

Anybody else on here have top level skates coming apart after a year or so of moderate use?

Creasing like that imo is less of a quality issue, more of a sizing and volume issue. I would also question how well they were taken care of.

But I would agree that top end skates are built more for performance than durability

• Like 2

Is there a pic showing the skate when dry?  It's hard to tell if there's de-lamination of the carbon fiber or if it's moisture, ice, etc.  In addition, yes, I've seen top level skates really beaten up after one year of use by collegiate players, pros, etc; though usually by players who are hard on their skates 5, 6, 7 days a week.  I've seen NHLers skates destroyed after 6 months of use.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

19 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Creasing like that imo is less of a quality issue, more of a sizing and volume issue. I would also question how well they were taken care of.

But I would agree that top end skates are built more for performance than durability

Yea i saw the creasing between eyelet #4 and #5 and thought the same thing, volume / sizing issue perhaps. 

16 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Is there a pic showing the skate when dry?  It's hard to tell if there's de-lamination of the carbon fiber or if it's moisture, ice, etc.  In addition, yes, I've seen top level skates really beaten up after one year of use by collegiate players, pros, etc; though usually by players who are hard on their skates 5, 6, 7 days a week.  I've seen NHLers skates destroyed after 6 months of use.

i don't think that's ice shavings on the side of the boot.  It looks like the clear gelcoat cracking / chipping away and deterioration of the carbon fiber underneath

I see 2xPros that are that beat up from rec league use.  Generally speaking...the CCM skates I see hold up much better.  I have both brands, and play at a fairly high level...no issues with either. But agree...these skates are not built to last ten years. They're made to be light, stiff, and dry fast.

When you play every day, skates take a beating and don't usually get babied. When I played, everybody got new skates at the beginning of the season. So if you play hard competitive hockey, expect your jets to last a full season. As for current skates, I think build quality in general is better with CCM than with Bauer. 

Reading thru the comments. The user mentions due to his or her size they need to buy a higher end/stiffer skate. A lower end skate would breakdown too quickly. 

Edited by stick9

The more i read through the comments, the more a "college level hockey player" turns into "former ACHA player turned beer leaguer who doesn't take very good care of his gear."

I wonder if those skates have ever been left to dry since the day they were new.

(I have no bias against ACHA players, I used to equip many of them and saw them do exactly this to skates they took poor care of)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

The more i read through the comments, the more a "college level hockey player" turns into "former house league player turned beer leaguer who doesn't take very good care of his gear."

Fixed it for ya. I don't do reddit.  Wow.  The guy posting the Geargeek link with a list of all NHL players using AS3Pro's and urging him to contact them because they might help you out. Priceless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Fixed it for ya. I don't do reddit.  Wow.  The guy posting the Geargeek link with a list of all NHL players using AS3Pro's and urging him to contact them because they might help you out. Priceless.

For real. If you ever want to understand the value of this ModSquad, read five threads on that forum. It’s so full of bad information and people who think that just because they speak with a tone authority, they know what they are talking about.  

There are a few people who get it, but it’s drowned out by a sea of blowhards. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, start_today said:

For real. If you ever want to understand the value of this ModSquad, read five threads on that forum. It’s so full of bad information and people who think that just because they speak with a tone authority, they know what they are talking about.  

Nothing like thread over thread of people asking if buying elite skates and sticks are necessary for learn to play clinics.

And it is insane how good advice gets ignored or downvoted because it's not what the OP wanted to hear.

I wouldn't expect any skate to last more than a year/season if I was on the ice 3+ days a week.  If they do great. But the reality is at that level, it's not reasonable. 

On 9/1/2022 at 6:56 AM, Jbear said:

I see 2xPros that are that beat up from rec league use.  Generally speaking...the CCM skates I see hold up much better.  I have both brands, and play at a fairly high level...no issues with either. But agree...these skates are not built to last ten years. They're made to be light, stiff, and dry fast.

I think the opposite. Ccms she'll is very thin. They've increased padding over the years but their she'll is very thin. Bauer's curv seems much more structurally durable.  I've seen a lot of Bauer skates that have taken a beating esthetically but not structurally 

My observations only...I play D and block a lot of shots (I probably should stop doing that, but it's reflex at this point).  My feet also get kicked and slashed more than I'd care for them to, but...that's the gig.  All of my skates have held up well, and have had no issues.  The only "catastrophic failures" that I've actually encountered were with Trigger holders on two different pairs of 2xPros, but that's not a boot issue.  I know the I-net magnifies issues cuz the thousands of folks who are satisfied are generally not online saying so.  I play on two teams (one is just a fun rec level thing and the other is high-level competitive), and I coach at two rinks.  In the summer I do camps where I'm essentially skating all day.  I am in contact with hundreds of players (and parents) of all levels, and I can't say that short of a busted runner or holder here and there and a couple of torn injected eyelets, that I've seen or heard of a skate boot failure.  I know they happen, but they are not the norm in my sphere.  I can say that my AS3 Pros have seen the most use of any of my skates and sometimes I wish they looked more beat up considering the abuse they (and my technicolor feet take)🤣.

Edited by Jbear

On 9/3/2022 at 5:26 PM, Sniper9 said:

I think the opposite. Ccms she'll is very thin. They've increased padding over the years but their she'll is very thin. Bauer's curv seems much more structurally durable.  I've seen a lot of Bauer skates that have taken a beating esthetically but not structurally 

Meh, I see a fair amount of Bauer's rolling thru the various repair shops I follow on IG.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:23 PM, start_today said:

99% of the people who comment on reddit or facebook have no clue what they are talking about and it is a losing battle trying to correct the awful comments.

3 hours ago, Hills said:

99% of the people who comment on reddit or facebook have no clue what they are talking about and it is a losing battle trying to correct the awful comments.

but but they have a "since I could walk" badge next to their username 😆

A little off topic, but the worst damage I see to skates are those who tie their laces or heavily tape around their ankles.  Damaged tongues, tendon guards, top eyelets and creased ankle roll areas.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie