Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JRG4

True Tendon guard screws

Hello, after a recent game was left with this as an outcome, after some reading I am no the only one! 

im looking for a replacement of this screw, does anyone know the measurements and thread?

thanks for any help!

thumbnail-Image-1.jpgthumbnail-Image.jpgthumbnail-Image-2.jpg

My tendon guard is like that first pic. Looks like the screw broke, so the tail end of it is sheared off in the tendon guard. 

Im not a particularly intuitively mechanically inclined person, but I can do the stuff with directions. How do I get the small piece of screw out of the tendon guard? 

6 hours ago, start_today said:

My tendon guard is like that first pic. Looks like the screw broke, so the tail end of it is sheared off in the tendon guard. 

Im not a particularly intuitively mechanically inclined person, but I can do the stuff with directions. How do I get the small piece of screw out of the tendon guard? 

Just drill it out, that’s what I did on mine when a small chunk broke off and was lodged in the skate. 

Howdy,

12 hours ago, start_today said:

This is one of those things that can be easy or hard, depending on the situation.

If the screw just broke and isn't seized (which is most likely), then you can just use a drill bit that's a smaller diameter than the screw (so like a 1/16" should be fine) and drill in the center of the screw.  There's a really good chance that just the friction from drilling the screw will wind the broken bit of the screw out, without you drilling all the way through the screw itself.  Try pretty hard to drill in the center of the broken off bit of screw btw.  Ideally you'd use a center punch to punch a divot in the center to help keep the drill where you want it to be.

From there, it gets harder.  🙂  If the screw is actually seized in there and just the friction from drilling doesn't get it out, your best bet is to drill it with a #29 drill (which is the tap drill for an 8/32 thread).  You have to be pretty close to the center of the broken off bolt for this though, since you'll wipe out the threads if you're off center or not drilling parallel to the hole/screw.  If you can drill it, then chances are that you can use a pick or an 8/32 tap or maybe even another screw to clean the remaining metal out of the threads.

But if you're doing that, chances are that you're going to end up wiping out the threads in the plastic tendon guard... If that happens, you could just use a longer version of that 8/32 flathead screw and use a locknut on the back of your skate.  It would end up sticking out of course.  Or maybe you could tap the tendon guard to the next size up from the hole you had to drill.

In all of the situations where the bit of screw doesn't come out just from the friction of drilling, the easier fix is to just replace the tendon guard.

Note that in my case, the screw came out with the friction from drilling.  The rest of what I wrote up there is just educated guesses from "I've had to deal with broken off screws / bolts before".

Good luck!

Mark

• Thanks 1

Howdy,

56 minutes ago, start_today said:

Ok, do I need the drill going in forward or reverse, and am I going from the front or back of the tendon guard? Thanks!!

What I did was to drill from the back of the tendon guard with a normal right hand drill bit going forward.

Mark

• Thanks 1