Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shooter27

CCM 90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

Has anyone actually exercised CCM’s 90 day satisfaction guarantee for simply being unhappy with the product (i.e. its not defective, you just don’t like the skates)?

I’m curious because I’m considering buying a pair of Tacks but for 30+ years I’ve been a Bauer wearer so I’m a little hesitant.  The 90 day guarantee gives me confidence to try to Tacks and if I don’t like them I can always return them and go back to Bauer’s.  But, if its one of those things where they make it a huge pain to get your money back, or you only get a credit towards CCM product, or something to that effect then I’d have to think a lot harder about switching.  Any direct experience stories would be greatly appreciated.

I have used it on more than one occasion.  For me, the process was very simple and painless.  Walked into the store and said I'd like to utilize the guarantee as I wasn't happy with the skates.  They refunded the purchase right away, no questions asked.  This was at Pro Hockey Life in Canada, so I can't speak about any other retailer.

I used it on a pair of Ribcor that were giving me heel pain and despite multiple attempts to punch and create space (I have a Haglund's bump), I still couldn't get comfortable.  I purchased them from an online retailer.  Shipped them back and as soon as the package was received I got notice I would be fully refunded for the purchase.  I had the skates for nearly the full 90 days.  I really gave them an opportunity to work for me. 

There’s a story on here of someone who had what should have been a warranty issue and they wouldn’t take it back. It was something like a puck out a while in the side of the skate.  I’m not saying don’t do it, or it’s a bad option, just sharing. I think it’s the only issue I’ve seen posted on here, and you know how people love to complain…….

If you want to buy CCM skates, do it! Skates have changed a lot in 30 years in terms of fit and design.  Tacks today have the same name as skates from the 90s, but it’s not like there’s any actual lineage where they have more in common with 90’s heel wedge Tacks vs Vapor XXs. They all just hockey skates.

Theres enough options within CCM, Bauer, and Graf, each one should have options that fit your feet. The idea of “only brand X fits my feet” is just wrong. I left out True, but with the moldability of that brand, most people find a fit there too. 

There was one issue one here, where a person had a skate that took a clapper off the heel and cracked, but it was really more of a back and forth about warranty claim or the 90 satisfaction return policy. I believe in the end it was sorted out.  I know two people who did it and it was painless.  not sure where they purchased from though.

Anyone done this with the new style of skates that don't come with steel? Does the steel fall under the 90 days as well, or is the boot the only part covered? Wouldn't be terrible if you had to keep the steel as you could put it on your next pair, but what if the holder size changes if you returned a pair that was too big/small?

10 hours ago, sp3nny said:

Anyone done this with the new style of skates that don't come with steel? Does the steel fall under the 90 days as well, or is the boot the only part covered? Wouldn't be terrible if you had to keep the steel as you could put it on your next pair, but what if the holder size changes if you returned a pair that was too big/small?

What's being discussed is a CCM only thing. Since the steel comes with the skates, it will need to be returned with the skates.

Edited by stick9

9 minutes ago, stick9 said:

What's being discussed is a CCM only thing. Since the steel comes with the skates, it will need to be returned with the skates.

I guess I should have been more clear. AS-V Pro's do not come with steel, which is what I have, and am potentially returning.

11 hours ago, sp3nny said:

It's an interesting question.  I was actually able to purchase a pair of AS-590 directly from CCM, without steel.  That means either it's the retailers that are forcing you to buy steel with the skate, or CCM has a bug on their website.  If it's the former, then I could see it being a problem trying to get a refund for the steel.  Probably a question that has to be asked directly to CCM.

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

It's an interesting question.  I was actually able to purchase a pair of AS-590 directly from CCM, without steel.  That means either it's the retailers that are forcing you to buy steel with the skate, or CCM has a bug on their website.  If it's the former, then I could see it being a problem trying to get a refund for the steel.  Probably a question that has to be asked directly to CCM.

I wasn't forced to buy steel, but I did buy new Blacksteel at the retailer as well to go with my AS-V Pro's. My thinking is, if I were to return the skates, what happens to the steel? Do I get stuck with it as it's not technically part of the skate now? Or do they take both items back? Since CCM owns STEP now, perhaps they take both items back?

4 minutes ago, sp3nny said:

I wasn't forced to buy steel, but I did buy new Blacksteel at the retailer as well to go with my AS-V Pro's. My thinking is, if I were to return the skates, what happens to the steel? Do I get stuck with it as it's not technically part of the skate now? Or do they take both items back? Since CCM owns STEP now, perhaps they take both items back?

I doubt they will take the steel back that you purchased separate from the boot and holder.  That is just an educated guess from years of working in sports equipment retail, but no harm in asking. 

26 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

I doubt they will take the steel back that you purchased separate from the boot and holder.  That is just an educated guess from years of working in sports equipment retail, but no harm in asking. 

I'm guessing the same. Just with the way CCM is selling skates, it raises the question. It's an interesting situation. Unless you already have steel for the XS holder, you'll be buying steel as well, and may get stuck with it.

10 minutes ago, sp3nny said:

I'm guessing the same. Just with the way CCM is selling skates, it raises the question. It's an interesting situation. Unless you already have steel for the XS holder, you'll be buying steel as well, and may get stuck with it.

Considering steel is a "consumable", especially with the quick release systems all the major players are using, it is what it is.  Especially since you purchased a "third party" set of steel (despite that they are owned by the parent company, I'm not sure they are "doing business as").  SLS will probably provide the best chance of recouping some of that sunken cost.  If you'd purchased a model that came with steel - that is a no brainer - the steel goes back with the returned skate.  I was in this exact situation last year.  Bought some Ribcors and a set of Bladetech steel feeling pretty confident the Ribcors would work for me.  Unfortunately they didn't.  Returned the Ribcors and their original steel and luckily was able to use the Bladetechs on my son's skates as he outgrew his old pair.   

2 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Considering steel is a "consumable", especially with the quick release systems all the major players are using, it is what it is.  Especially since you purchased a "third party" set of steel (despite that they are owned by the parent company, I'm not sure they are "doing business as").  SLS will probably provide the best chance of recouping some of that sunken cost.  If you'd purchased a model that came with steel - that is a no brainer - the steel goes back with the returned skate.  I was in this exact situation last year.  Bought some Ribcors and a set of Bladetech steel feeling pretty confident the Ribcors would work for me.  Unfortunately they didn't.  Returned the Ribcors and their original steel and luckily was able to use the Bladetechs on my son's skates as he outgrew his old pair.   

Makes sense, just a bit of an annoyance. I'm doing almost the opposite, and going to 100k Pro from AS-V Pro potentially. I had to buy steel for my AS-V as I was coming from Bauer, but now the Ribcor will also come with steel, so I'll have the extra set. I would just keep the bought set as a backup, but the AS-V fit big, so I was able to size down compared to 100k Pro, and runner is different 263 vs 271.

Just a weird situation is all.

17 minutes ago, sp3nny said:

Makes sense, just a bit of an annoyance. I'm doing almost the opposite, and going to 100k Pro from AS-V Pro potentially. I had to buy steel for my AS-V as I was coming from Bauer, but now the Ribcor will also come with steel, so I'll have the extra set. I would just keep the bought set as a backup, but the AS-V fit big, so I was able to size down compared to 100k Pro, and runner is different 263 vs 271.

Just a weird situation is all.

Yeah, again, worth asking and trying to make the case for them taking the purchased steel as well, I just don't have much confidence you'll be successful in making that a reality.

5 hours ago, sp3nny said:

Interesting.  All the major retailers that I've checked in Canada are forcing you to buy new steel with the skate.  You can't complete the checkout process without adding steel to your order.  I assumed it was a CCM and Bauer policy, but it sounds like maybe it is the retailers after all?

@PBHany inside info on this?

1 minute ago, boo10 said:

Interesting.  All the major retailers that I've checked in Canada are forcing you to buy new steel with the skate.  You can't complete the checkout process without adding steel to your order.  I assumed it was a CCM and Bauer policy, but it sounds like maybe it is the retailers after all?

@PBHany inside info on this?

I physically bought in-store, so i just picked the steel I wanted. However, when I was looking online, every Canadian retailer I looked at did make you pick a steel before adding to cart, so I agree with you there. It will be interesting to see what affect this has on the 90 day guarantee. I haven't been able to find any info yet, but will likely be going through the process soon.

I was curious so just checked a few sites, seems as if the AS-V Pro skates you get to choose your steel.  Basic Step Steel is the standard included steel (so no additional charge) but you can upgrade to V-Steel for $30 or Blacksteel for $60, both of which are considerably discounted compared to their retail prices which is nice to see. 

So my thinking is CCM should honor the guarantee if you opted to upgrade the steel since it was technically a package deal not a separate purchase, it's not like you got an extra set of steel for the heck of it.

11 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I was curious so just checked a few sites, seems as if the AS-V Pro skates you get to choose your steel.  Basic Step Steel is the standard included steel (so no additional charge) but you can upgrade to V-Steel for $30 or Blacksteel for $60, both of which are considerably discounted compared to their retail prices which is nice to see. 

So my thinking is CCM should honor the guarantee if you opted to upgrade the steel since it was technically a package deal not a separate purchase, it's not like you got an extra set of steel for the heck of it.

Ah, that changes my previous thoughts.  If it is a package deal and retailers are "forcing" you to get steel (either basic at no charge or upgrade), then CCM should take the entire skate, including steel back if you use the 90 day policy.  It sounded like there was an option to purchase without the steel.  But if steel is "included" and you have the option to upgrade, then I see it as 1 purchase, not two. 

Edited by krisdrum
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:55 PM, shooter27 said:

Has anyone actually exercised CCM’s 90 day satisfaction guarantee for simply being unhappy with the product (i.e. its not defective, you just don’t like the skates)?

I’m curious because I’m considering buying a pair of Tacks but for 30+ years I’ve been a Bauer wearer so I’m a little hesitant.  The 90 day guarantee gives me confidence to try to Tacks and if I don’t like them I can always return them and go back to Bauer’s.  But, if its one of those things where they make it a huge pain to get your money back, or you only get a credit towards CCM product, or something to that effect then I’d have to think a lot harder about switching.  Any direct experience stories would be greatly appreciated.

I had more of a sizing issue and returned a pair of skates without skating on ice or baking them. Regular width was way too narrow and wide width worked out. Same length. This was with Hockey Monkey.

The only issue with this CCM 90 Day thing I remember hearing about was a user on here (or S2k?) that may have bought like 4 or 5 different pairs of skates and it sounded like the retail store started giving him a hard time trying to return after a while.  I mean I can see it from both perspectives, he was using CCM's 90 day window to make sure he got the best fitting skate he could, but the retail store had to deal with the hassle of returning the skates to CCM and getting credited however that all works in the background (honestly it could have just been a manager being lazy and trying to avoid some extra work lol).  From what I remember they did end up taking them back after CCM was contacted, I believe this was all in a thread about 100k skates but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Ah, that changes my previous thoughts.  If it is a package deal and retailers are "forcing" you to get steel (either basic at no charge or upgrade), then CCM should take the entire skate, including steel back if you use the 90 day policy.  It sounded like there was an option to purchase without the steel.  But if steel is "included" and you have the option to upgrade, then I see it as 1 purchase, not two. 

This is my understanding as well.  There are no options to buy the skate without steel on any of the sites i frequent.  Basic step steel is included for $0.00, but you have to select it to add the skate to the cart on a couple sites.  Others do it slightly different, but at the end of the day, one of the 3 styles of steel is coming with the skate.  Local hockey shops may cut you a deal and knock off a few bucks if you want to buy the skates without steel, but I guess that doesn't apply to this post / topic lol

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

The only issue with this CCM 90 Day thing I remember hearing about was a user on here (or S2k?) that may have bought like 4 or 5 different pairs of skates and it sounded like the retail store started giving him a hard time trying to return after a while.  I mean I can see it from both perspectives, he was using CCM's 90 day window to make sure he got the best fitting skate he could, but the retail store had to deal with the hassle of returning the skates to CCM and getting credited however that all works in the background (honestly it could have just been a manager being lazy and trying to avoid some extra work lol).  From what I remember they did end up taking them back after CCM was contacted, I believe this was all in a thread about 100k skates but I could be wrong.

Dealers are actually asked to honor a single satisfaction return for a customer. The most I will allow is two.

I had a customer who abused the system starting with FT485, then FT4, then FT4 Pro, then 100K Pro, then 100K Pro customs. It was a nightmare getting CCM to accept the FT4 Pro and 100K Pro returns under the satisfaction guarantee. I assume he didn't have enough money to get the 100K Pro customs so as he saved money he kept upgrading. Each return was made between days 80-89 so it seems very systematic. 

• Like 1