Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
akravetz

Vapor 3x or x2.9 skates

My boy, 17, is about 120 pounds, 5'1 and plays high school, is a skate guard and plays beer league with me. Not in a super competitive league like he was a few years ago but he is in his skates a lot. We need new skates as the seasons are starting but dad is not looking to spend boatloads for a kid who is still growing and might be one and done with the skates. He's in hand-me-downs now from other kids (CCM or other types) but likes vapors the most. What's a good skate that is solid, will last for a kid who is on the ice four to five nights a week but who isn't in need of the super duper fancy stuff. 

Our local store is about 45 minutes away, fyi. They have bauer and graf. I own Graf and swear by them but he's a Vapor guy. Thanks.

Andy in Peoria

Personally, I like the 2.9 better than the 3X.  I find it to be more comfortable with nice thick internal foams.  It's a tech mesh construction, which used to be Bauer's top level quarter material (think X:60/X7.0).  it's a little heavier than the 3X, but it's by no means a boat anchor.  If I was choosing between the two, I'd pick the X2.9, especially when you factor in the price difference.

Edited by boo10

Thanks. Are the 2.9 bakeable? And Moldable? My son has arch issues in his foot so he needs inserts but also has a very narrow foot. Hence vapors. Me? I have big fat feet and the Grafs are my heroes. 

Just now, akravetz said:

Thanks. Are the 2.9 bakeable? And Moldable? My son has arch issues in his foot so he needs inserts but also has a very narrow foot. Hence vapors. Me? I have big fat feet and the Grafs are my heroes. 

Yes, the X2.9 is fully bakeable.