Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sp3nny

AS-V Pro vs 100k Pro

I recently upgraded to AS-V Pro's and have had a few skates and games on them. Overall, skates feel quite nice and fit is great, other than the upper ankle area, where I experience quite a bit of "digging". I believe this is caused by the stiffness of the boot not allowing me to lace the upper section tight enough, causing a gapping issue around the edge. I have tried tightening them as much as I can, but I then start to experience lace bite on the arch of the tongue.

Since I am within my 90 day return window, i was thinking of ordering a set of 100K Pro to compare as they are what I was actually thinking would fit me best (couldn't find any local). My only concern is, AS-V Pro seem to have a lot of volume for the size. I am coming from a set of Supreme MX3's in an 8 EE, and I managed to fit into a 7.5 Regular in the AS-V which was quite surprising.

Does anyone have experience with AS-V Pro vs 100k Pro? I am thinking to order either an 8 Wide as I've read elsewhere that the AS-V Pro seem to be a more voluminous fit comparatively to CCM's other lines.

Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has other ideas about the AS-V Pro ankle issue, I'm all ears to suggestions.

46 minutes ago, sp3nny said:

I recently upgraded to AS-V Pro's and have had a few skates and games on them. Overall, skates feel quite nice and fit is great, other than the upper ankle area, where I experience quite a bit of "digging". I believe this is caused by the stiffness of the boot not allowing me to lace the upper section tight enough, causing a gapping issue around the edge. I have tried tightening them as much as I can, but I then start to experience lace bite on the arch of the tongue.

Since I am within my 90 day return window, i was thinking of ordering a set of 100K Pro to compare as they are what I was actually thinking would fit me best (couldn't find any local). My only concern is, AS-V Pro seem to have a lot of volume for the size. I am coming from a set of Supreme MX3's in an 8 EE, and I managed to fit into a 7.5 Regular in the AS-V which was quite surprising.

Does anyone have experience with AS-V Pro vs 100k Pro? I am thinking to order either an 8 Wide as I've read elsewhere that the AS-V Pro seem to be a more voluminous fit comparatively to CCM's other lines.

Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has other ideas about the AS-V Pro ankle issue, I'm all ears to suggestions.

I am a 7.0 regular in the AS-V Pro and a 7.5 wide in the 100K Pro. You will likely need to go wide.

The AS-V pro is built on CCMs new last system which will be used for the upcoming 2023 Jetspeed skates too. Thats why they have a little more volume than the current FT4 Pro and 100K Pro. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PBH said:

I am a 7.0 regular in the AS-V Pro and a 7.5 wide in the 100K Pro. You will likely need to go wide.

The AS-V pro is built on CCMs new last system which will be used for the upcoming 2023 Jetspeed skates too. Thats why they have a little more volume than the current FT4 Pro and 100K Pro. 

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you good sir!

How do you find the comparison between the two? AS-V seems to fit my foot quite nice, but doesn't seem to hug it tight. I have excellent range of motion which I like, but its almost like its on the edge of loose.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:44 PM, sp3nny said:

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you good sir!

How do you find the comparison between the two? AS-V seems to fit my foot quite nice, but doesn't seem to hug it tight. I have excellent range of motion which I like, but its almost like its on the edge of loose.

I like the AS-V, but don't care for the AS-V Pro as it's just too stiff for me. I find the retail 100K Pro and the AS-V both provide excellent performance and feel slightly similar on the ice. 

Now, if we are talking about CCM Custom skates, nothing fits and feels like the 100K Pro custom skates. 

On 9/22/2022 at 9:26 AM, PBH said:

I like the AS-V, but don't care for the AS-V Pro as it's just too stiff for me. I find the retail 100K Pro and the AS-V both provide excellent performance and feel slightly similar on the ice. 

Now, if we are talking about CCM Custom skates, nothing fits and feels like the 100K Pro custom skates. 

Managed to get a hold of some 100k Pro in 8W today. Mid and forefoot feel fairly similar, with Ribcor having slightly less volume. Ankle area has much less room in the 100k Pro, which is what I wanted, but its actually too tight on the ankle bones which is unfortunate.

Not sure if I should try punching the 100k's or just live with the AS-V's. They fit super well, just the top of the boot is loose around my ankle and causing the issue.

On 9/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, sp3nny said:

About “digging” do u mean chaffing ? If that’s what you mean I get that too at the exact spot on the outside of the upper ankle area with my ft4 pro. It only happens with my right ankle. I tried using dr scholls gel pads but those things won’t stick after a shift. 

1 hour ago, ProfessorBarDownski said:

About “digging” do u mean chaffing ? If that’s what you mean I get that too at the exact spot on the outside of the upper ankle area with my ft4 pro. It only happens with my right ankle. I tried using dr scholls gel pads but those things won’t stick after a shift. 

I personally wouldn't describe it as chaffing, as it's more causing a "bone bruise" than a "wear spot". It's almost all on the outside upper edges of the boot. Mine is worse on my left than right foot, but is happening on both sides. The AS-V Pro have a lower cut than the FT4 and 100k's, so I thought that may be the issue.

Trying 100k's on today, they are much tighter around the ankle which is causing a more "chaffing" feeling directly on my inner and outer ankle balls. It's too bad, as the ASV Pro fit my foot near perfectly other than the top part of the boot.

You should be able to heat it and mold your foot. I have to punch almost all skates because of a long ago broken left ankle.  It's worth it if the rest of the boot feels good. There are silicone sleeves on Ebay and Amazon that I've used for exactly what you describe...they work great and can last a season or longer dependinguponhowmuchyou skate.  I'll try to find a link.

41 minutes ago, Jbear said:

You should be able to heat it and mold your foot. I have to punch almost all skates because of a long ago broken left ankle.  It's worth it if the rest of the boot feels good. There are silicone sleeves on Ebay and Amazon that I've used for exactly what you describe...they work great and can last a season or longer dependinguponhowmuchyou skate.  I'll try to find a link.

I've heat molded the AS-V's, and they are good to go. How much room can punching provide? I'm willing to try and punch the 100K's, I just don't want to waste my time on them if they aren't the fit. Maybe I will try and do a heat mold on them today and see if I get any relief on the ankles.

I'll check out these sleeves as that might be exactly what I need and solve the issues with the AS-V. I haven't shopped for skates in the last couple years, so learning all the changes in boot and fit combined with blade profiling and runner size has been an adjustment.

Punching is for spot areas. For example, because I'm an idiot, in my last college career game...losing 2-8 or similar, I blocked a shot with 2:27 left. The maleolar bone sticks out.  I have to heat gun that spot and clamp a golf ball inside to push it out...probably 1/2"-3/4".  Makes all the difference in the world!   I will say that my Ribcores are the only states that haven't needed punching. AS3 Pros, AS1, 2xPros...couldn't skate without it. 

I guess I should add...I'm up a 1/2 size in the 100k Pros cuz the seam in the toecap of the 7.5 (my size) was digging into my left pinky toe to the point where I couldn't skate. I loved everything else about them.  Last ditch effort...tried an 8.  It was a tad loose but I did the True shrink wrap trick...perfect!  They are great skates...I'd try whatever you have to in order to make it work. 

7 minutes ago, Jbear said:

Punching is for spot areas. For example, because I'm an idiot, in my last college career game...losing 2-8 or similar, I blocked a shot with 2:27 left. The maleolar bone sticks out.  I have to heat gun that spot and clamp a golf ball inside to push it out...probably 1/2"-3/4".  Makes all the difference in the world!   I will say that my Ribcores are the only states that haven't needed punching. AS3 Pros, AS1, 2xPros...couldn't skate without it. 

Just finished a heat mold on the 100k's. It's definitely the maleolar bone that I'm getting discomfort in, but I can immediately tell the taller boot cut of the 100k is much more comfortable than the AS-V around my ankle.

Break in and perhaps punching will probably being some relief to the maleolar pressure of the 100k, but I don't think anything will help the digging on the AS-V Pro unfortunately other than some sort of sleeve or other means to bridge the gap between boot and ankle. I think the AS-V just has a bit too much depth around the ankle for me. 100k feels tight but firm and I lose some of the "sloppy" feeling from the AS-V.

Appreciate the insight. I play tmrw evening, so think I'm gonna get the 100k's profiled up today and give 'em a whirl.

I have 100k in 8 W and AS-V in 7.5 reg. Feel throughout the foot is just slightly tighter on the 100k, but not overly so. The AS-V feels better just sitting in, but once the movement of skating gets involved, they feel a little loose, and that coupled with the stiffness is causing the issue. I think the 100k's will get rid of that feeling. I know what you mean about the toe cap, but it doesn't bother me too much thankfully.

Edited by sp3nny

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I find that the 100ks have all of the response,  lateral support, and energy transfer of the AS3 PROs, but with more forward flexion which leads to better maneuverability if I'm fatigued. In a typical week, I start with the Tacks in games and the Ribcores for practices.  By the end the week I'm in the Ribcores. A few days off and the cycle repeats.  I'm working some Catalyst Pros into the mix now.

22 hours ago, Jbear said:

Did your bone every go back to normal? Same happened to me two months ago! 

For those of you that are getting the boot digging into the outside of your foot above the ankle area, it's not the boot. It's your foot folding inwards which is causing it. Dealing with this is another topic but if you want a quick fix (instead of silicone sleeves) then heat the top of the boot above the ankle area with a heat gun and roll the top of the boot outwards, this will fix the digging in feeling.

13 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

For those of you that are getting the boot digging into the outside of your foot above the ankle area, it's not the boot. It's your foot folding inwards which is causing it. Dealing with this is another topic but if you want a quick fix (instead of silicone sleeves) then heat the top of the boot above the ankle area with a heat gun and roll the top of the boot outwards, this will fix the digging in feeling.

While I know what you mean, I feel this is definitely a boot issue. I heat molded these with a full wrap ie. True method to bring jt closer to my ankle, which did help, but didn't resolve the issue. Comparing my 100k's to AS-V, the AS-V is actually a shorter boot, by a decent amount, which I think is the issue.

On a related note, put the 100k's through their paces tonight, and they were fantastic! Not one bit of the same digging problem, and the fit of 100k Wide vs AS-V regular is very, very similar for me. The only difference I can rly pinpoint is less ankle padding in the AS-V, and a shorter boot cut.

13 minutes ago, sp3nny said:

The only difference I can rly pinpoint is less ankle padding in the AS-V, and a shorter boot cut.

A shorter boot and less padding will exacerbate the issue, the bottom line is still your ankle and the amount it is folding inwards as you stride and turn. Regardless of what boot you are in or the height (ie the cut of speed skates), this doesn't happen if your ankle stays straight enough or the boot provides enough support and padding to assist. 

Edited by Vet88

1 minute ago, Vet88 said:

A shorter boot and less padding will exacerbate the issue, the bottom line is still your ankle and the amount it is folding inwards as you stride and turn. Regardless of what boot you are in or the height (ie the cut of speed skates), this doesn't happen if your ankle stays straight enough. 

Agreed to an extent. If I stopped utilizing my edges, i wouldnt get the pain. I'm not dealing with the issue of being a "bender" if that is what you are getting at. The shorter boot cut allows for more range of motion, but you lose a lot of ankle stability as there is less contact area between skate and ankle. I think your solution of rolling the edge out would only make the issue worse, as there would be more room for movement.

As an example, in a 10-2, or mowhawk, having the taller boot distributes the "weight" of the pressure over a larger area. Being a fairly advanced skater, I utilize techniques like this very often, and for me, the AS-V just doesn't work for that. I think if you have a larger ankle, this could be less of an issue.

Later in the week, I will take some comparison pictures of the boot cut. The AS-V looks atleast 2cm shorter, and then is an angular cut, which for me pushes the pressure to the top of the cut next to the tongue when skating. I went back to back between the two skates tonight for 2.5 hrs, and the difference was night and day. Both skates fit me great, and nearly identical other than the padding and the cut. Maybe it's just my skating style, but its fairly obvious what the issue is for me.

I'm 2 months into this comparison. I was having the ankle rub issues as well on the AS-V pros, I was able to get this worked out by re-baking and adjusting the openness of the top of the boot. Strongly disagree that its not the boot/cut.  As far as the comparison between the 100k's and the as-v pro's, I agree with sp3nny, the 100k has a better cut or at least one that doesn't cause as much limitations. I am going to be returning my as-v pros.