Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
swede

New skates for my thick duck feet!

Hi everyone!

need some new skates, but i’m totally lost!

Iv’e been in Makos for the last 6 years, first mako m8, then m7, both in sz 7.5EE/W.

The makos have fitted me like s glove, right out of the box, but now both pairs are falling apart so i need something different since makos is no more…..

I have a regular width, pronounced heel, wider midfoot and really wide forefoot with bunions behind the big toe on both feet. My ankels are kinda skinny, while my instep is on the higher side..

I dont have any LHS in my city, so im stuck with ordering online.

I tought CCM ribcor in wide was supposed to be Ccm’s widest and deepest fit, so i ordered a pair of ribcor 88k 7.5wide which arrived today…

And..
I have never failed a pencil test as bad as i did with theese skates. The width is ok both in the heel and the forefoot but the boot is to shallow from the toebox all the way up..!!

This is really wierd, because jetspeed in EE has enough depth, while the midfoot is to narrow!
Supreme D has enough depth while mid-foot and forefoot are to narrow.

Nexus D had to much volume, ok forefoot, but to wide heel

I havent tried Vapor EE or newer Bauer fit 3, but since Bauer fit 3 is supposed to fit like Nexus D, i don’t think it will fit very well

anyone have/had a similar problem or have any suggestions?

thanks in advance

I have feet similar to yours minus the bunion issue. I’ve had luck with the last two iterations of JetSpeed in D width (surprising to me) so I’d recommend those in a wide fit. Plus you have the trial and fit guarantee

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer
  • Like 1

I have a wide forefoot, an average heel, narrow ankle with an average instep. So, it sounds like your foot is somewhat similar, but you have a higher instep.

I still use 8EE Mako II's for ice and also have 8EE M7's converted for inline as well as a pair of 7W True TF9 skates converted for inline.

When I tried on a Nexus D years ago, it was too wide all over and I had crazy heel lift. D width Supremes were too narrow. EE Supremes were a bit too wide in the heel. When I tried on EE Super Tacks, I found them to have good heel lock, but they weren't quite wide enough for my forefoot. That was unbaked and they were the original Super Tacks.

With the True TF9 skates, the 8W was obviously too large when I tried them on. The 7.5W felt like the right size before baking. The 7W had my toes HARD on the cap and felt too small, but I still went with the smaller size based on what I read here and the @Hills aka Hockey Reviews Youtube sizing video. I'm glad I did as after baking, I gained a little space and then 4 or 5 hours gave me even more space and they're the right length now. My heel lock is also great.

Compared to the Makos, the TF9 is stiffer all over, the toe cap is taller and less anatomical and the tendon guard is stiffer. You'd likely also have to go down a holder size to get the right size in the TF9. When I put the TF9 in 7W next to my 8EE Makos, the boot length, height and depth seem identical (other than the fact that the Mako is taller on one side than the other - True doesn't share this feature).

True has since released the Catalyst 9 skates. I haven't tried these yet, but apparently they're sized closer to Bauer and CCM. The tendon guard is more flexible on them (but you can buy it directly from True for $30 US/$35 CAD and it will fit on the TF9 skates), the holder was tweaked for durability and steel lock and the toe cap is more streamlined and anatomical. The Catalyst skates also aren't as stiff as the TF9 - between the toe cap and the stiffness, it seems like the Catalyst line may be more like Makos than even the TF9s were.

True has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee via participating retailers. This will apply to the Catalyst skates, but I'm not sure if it will apply to the TF9 skates since those seem to be on sale/clearance everywhere.

If you can find a TF9 in 6.5W and have them baked properly, they may be an option. A 7.5W CAT9 may be another option. I know the width and heel lock of the TF9 in W work for me - the depth may be questionable for you though since I just pass the pencil test with them and don't have a high instep. I'm not sure what the depth is like on the CAT9.

Dave Cruikshank and Scott Van Horne worked on the DASC/MLX skates together. Then Dave went to Easton and designed the Makos. Scott Van Horne designed the VH and then True bought them out. So, the True and Mako skates are related in a way and the True skates will be the most similar skates you'll find to Makos today. 

• Like 1

The new AS-V Pro has a crazy amount of room inside. I have both AS-V Pro in 7.5 Reg and 100k Pro's in 8 Wide. AS-V is slightly bigger all around, including more space on top of the foot. I have never fit a regular width skate, let alone a 7.5. My big toe barely brushes the end of the boot in both. If space is what you need, I'd give them a try. They are VERY stiff which could pose a problem, but that is a different battle.

Howdy,

Another 7.5 Mako person here that is now using 6.5 TF7.  I was using a 7.5D Mako that almost certainly should have been a 7.5EE but still seemed to work for me.  The 6.5D TF7 definitely fits 'wider' and with more volume.  And yes, they're also a LOT stiffer than my used Mako M8s.  I never compared them to new M8's of course.

YMMV, but I've been really happy with my TF7 skates.  I've also got a pair of TF9's in the same size, but haven't gotten around to baking them / putting them into the rotation yet.

Mark

• Like 2