Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dfinneran91

2023 Missions

22 hours ago, the_game said:

Is roller hockey even still a thing?

I've had an interesting discussion with an inline-hockey youth coach, who raised an interesting perspective. With their smaller inline rink and 4v4 setup, their kids are not not far behind the top level kids in ice-hockey youth programs run by pro teams, but their cost is a fraction due to not having to maintain ice and being able to operate all year long. 

In Austria, we are currently seeing rinks remaining closed (or delaying opening until external temps drop massively) due to the rising energy cost, and the remaining rinks increasing their fees, which raises the financial burden to play hockey even more. So inline hockey might be gaining momentum in the near future was his prediction.

• Like 3

@gosinger hope he’s right! 

Not really sure what inline is like here in the states as I didn’t get to one of the big 3 tourneys this year. But those are usually a huge showcase for Tours, Missions, etc of the world and we haven’t seen that since…well honestly I don’t remember, feels like forever.

furthermore to @Dfinneran91 I’d love to see Bauer push Mission more, especially in light of Bauer’s ‘hockey is inclusive/the barn PR campaign’. Instead I see $400 sticks and $1100 skates.

if Bauer wanted to make hockey more inclusive I’d expect Mission roller to be highlighted and marketed. But hey that would eat into profits of their top of the line ice products and whatever collaboration they have up their sleeve with whatever streetwear guy the kids love these days. 

56 minutes ago, the_game said:

@gosinger hope he’s right! 

Not really sure what inline is like here in the states as I didn’t get to one of the big 3 tourneys this year. But those are usually a huge showcase for Tours, Missions, etc of the world and we haven’t seen that since…well honestly I don’t remember, feels like forever.

furthermore to @Dfinneran91 I’d love to see Bauer push Mission more, especially in light of Bauer’s ‘hockey is inclusive/the barn PR campaign’. Instead I see $400 sticks and $1100 skates.

if Bauer wanted to make hockey more inclusive I’d expect Mission roller to be highlighted and marketed. But hey that would eat into profits of their top of the line ice products and whatever collaboration they have up their sleeve with whatever streetwear guy the kids love these days. 

Yea I agree. I’d love to see Bauer use Mission more, but unfortunately it looks like it’s going to opposite way. I really hope Bauer doesn’t eliminate Mission, as I feel like Mission really is an important brand to roller hockey. 

As for Roller’s popularity, it still has a pretty decent following where I’m at: Southern California. 

• Like 2

Definitely popular year-round in SoCal. Also popular in and around DC.

I got back into roller when I moved to DC and was surprised by the scene. Obviously more options in SoCal which isn’t surprising given the climate 

• Like 1

Take a peek at the 2023 Bauer catalog; they carried over the WM series for mission another year. To me this means they might just ride this line out - wasn't there news of them closing down the Mission hockey office in California?

Seems like that writing is on the wall especially since they make their roller vapors with a fit 2 - basically same as the Missions which were a supreme fit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/8/2023 at 8:02 PM, JSchultz said:

Take a peek at the 2023 Bauer catalog; they carried over the WM series for mission another year. To me this means they might just ride this line out - wasn't there news of them closing down the Mission hockey office in California?

Seems like that writing is on the wall especially since they make their roller vapors with a fit 2 - basically same as the Missions which were a supreme fit. 

Have you heard anything further on this? Wondering the same thing.

1 hour ago, Will Lemmink said:

Have you heard anything further on this? Wondering the same thing.

Damn, almost a year later since I wrote that, and NO new changes. I took a look at the 2024 bauer catalog and it's still showing those as the most current Mission.

22 minutes ago, JSchultz said:

Damn, almost a year later since I wrote that, and NO new changes. I took a look at the 2024 bauer catalog and it's still showing those as the most current Mission.

I will say this, In late July 2022 I took a survey with Bauer asking about mission roller skates along with a few new design variant sketches (asking which ones were best). 

The 2-year refresh is due this spring, if there is nothing by summer I believe Mission is toast.

I would be extremely disappointed, I bought some 2xr roller hockey skates at a discount, and they're unbearably hot on my feet, I fail to understand why companies aren't putting ventilated toe caps on their roller hockey skates.  

On 12/11/2023 at 2:15 PM, JSchultz said:

Any sign of new Bauer releases?

New for this year are hyperlite 2 inlines, vapor x4/3. Just like previous line, the two higher ended skates are only available in fit 2, so basically like the old supreme. With the new Mission coming out next year, I wouldn't expect a Vapor refresh until '26.

On 3/4/2024 at 7:12 PM, JSchultz said:

New for this year are hyperlite 2 inlines, vapor x4/3. Just like previous line, the two higher ended skates are only available in fit 2, so basically like the old supreme. With the new Mission coming out next year, I wouldn't expect a Vapor refresh until '26.

Thanks for the response. 

I went to my local Pure Hockey Wednesday night and they actually had the brand new Bauers in stock. I ultimately ended up going with a pair of the X3s….but the new models are coming out any day now. I believe he said that they are officially going to be released on the 18th.