Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
cbak11s

Info on some vintage CCM Tacks

My dad had skates like those, they are awesome.  I had one hockey book growing up, by Stan Mikita, loved reading about the equipment.  He described how they used to break them in and how higher end skates had some mesh or something up the back of the skate for support. 

On 10/2/2022 at 3:12 PM, BenBreeg said:

He described how they used to break them in and how higher end skates had some mesh or something up the back of the skate for support. 

That was called cross stitching. You would find a good shoe repair guy in town and he would stitch a small"tic tac toe" pattern all the way around the ankle area. It would probably triple the ankle support (they came with very little). I know this practice was done until the early 1980's. I remember playing in college with a pair of cross stitched Super Tacks, which replaced cross stitched Daoust 301. 

Those old Tacks are mid-late 1960's. Great shape. Looked to be a tad big for the original owner (a bit of heel shelf back by the Achilles). Nice find.  You should try to skate in them if you can get them on, so you can appreciate what the players of that era had to deal with!

Finally, a skate with more ankle flexion and less negative space to replace makos. And, it has the fancy holder/steel combo from the od1n skates. Glad to see companies incorporating new technology and taking chances on designs. 

2 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

That was called cross stitching. You would find a good shoe repair guy in town and he would stitch a small"tic tac toe" pattern all the way around the ankle area. It would probably triple the ankle support (they came with very little). I know this practice was done until the early 1980's. I remember playing in college with a pair of cross stitched Super Tacks, which replaced cross stitched Daoust 301. 

Those old Tacks are mid-late 1960's. Great shape. Looked to be a tad big for the original owner (a bit of heel shelf back by the Achilles). Nice find.  You should try to skate in them if you can get them on, so you can appreciate what the players of that era had to deal with!

I know what you are talking about.  There was a shoe repair guy in a Pittsburgh, Bucky Palermo that did that for the Pens.  I remember Makita’s book talking about reinforcement built into the skate, like wire mesh like a window screen between the layers of leather, although it’s been years since I looked at it and I could totally be remembering wrong.  The book might still be at my parents.

On 10/4/2022 at 8:18 AM, clarkiestooth said:

Awesome, appreciate the info! I might have to dust them off for a quick skate!