Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
swede

Baking times, new Vapor skates?

Hi there!

Since posting the thread about finding skates for my wide, thick feet i have tried on like 7 different pairs of skates only to find out that mid end vapors in EE width fit me the best.. so

iv’e bougth a pair of Vapor x3.7 EE from a swedish online store, but didn’t get any baking instructions with the box.
Does anybody on here know time and temperature for theese skates?

We have a Bauer skate oven at the team rink, so i’m not going to bake the skates at home.

On 10/7/2022 at 11:55 AM, swede said:

Hi there!

Since posting the thread about finding skates for my wide, thick feet i have tried on like 7 different pairs of skates only to find out that mid end vapors in EE width fit me the best.. so

iv’e bougth a pair of Vapor x3.7 EE from a swedish online store, but didn’t get any baking instructions with the box.
Does anybody on here know time and temperature for theese skates?

We have a Bauer skate oven at the team rink, so i’m not going to bake the skates at home.

3 min after the over is at operating temperature. Set the oven for 6 min, at 3 min put the skates in. Pull out on the laces, not up, so you don't tear the eyelets. 

• Like 1

I do all of mine at 185 F in a convection oven for 8-10 minutes. Have done Vapors, Tacks, Ribcores, and Catalyst Pros this way with good results. I'm also doing the shrinkwrap with all of them...I find that it makes for a better heel-lock.

Howdy,

22 hours ago, PBH said:

Pull out on the laces, not up, so you don't tear the eyelets. 

I read this all the time, but its never made sense to me.  If the laces end up tight, how can it matter which way that happens (outside of yanking on them causing a spike in load) in terms of the eyelets staying put in the composite?

Just curious if this is a wives' tale or if I'm missing something.

Mark

13 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I read this all the time, but its never made sense to me.  If the laces end up tight, how can it matter which way that happens (outside of yanking on them causing a spike in load) in terms of the eyelets staying put in the composite?

Just curious if this is a wives' tale or if I'm missing something.

Mark

Not an old wives tale at all.

A lot of people (most) lace their skates by pulling up and with decent force to tighten skates. 

When the boot is still hot and pliable, this motion can easily cause an eyelet to separate from the backside of the leather and pull apart from the boot. 

With pulling the laces in an outward motion, you are avoiding putting tension on the eyelet anywhere, and can still achieve the desired result of getting them tight enough to mold.

• Like 1

Tension is tension, if you pull outward, you aren't putting force on that eyelet, but you are pulling on the one below it.  Maybe easier to moderate the force, but that would be it.

• Like 1

I think it’s more the force you are applying to the lace, which then puts force on the eyelet. The goal is to pull sideways so the lace is going out through the eyelet with minimal contact and friction. When the is tightened, firm, consistent tension on the eyelet is not going to pull it out or unseat it. It’s the “violent” act of pulling the lose lace through the eyelet that is going to pull it out. So, pulling up or down creates that friction of the lace across the eyelet, whereas pulling out out ideally minimizes it.

The goal is primarily trying to pull the loose lace through the eyelet without touching it. 

This is where the shrink-wrap helps.  I loosely tie the skate, and the wrap does the compression work.  Minimal stress on the eyelets. I will say, I've never had an eyelet issue doing it the traditional way either. 

Edited by Jbear

22 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Tension is tension, if you pull outward, you aren't putting force on that eyelet, but you are pulling on the one below it.  Maybe easier to moderate the force, but that would be it.

We will have to agree to disagree.

The way almost everyone ties up their skates (skate on ground, pull up on laces towards knee area to create tension, and then tighten to lock in place) has far more room for error in regards to pulling an eyelet out than pulling from the sides out and wrapping upwards to create the desired tension.

3 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

The way almost everyone ties up their skates (skate on ground, pull up on laces towards knee area to create tension, and then tighten to lock in place) has far more room for error in regards to pulling an eyelet out than pulling from the sides out and wrapping upwards to create the desired tension.

We don't disagree.  As you said, the margin for error is greater, and I said it is easier to moderate the force, two sides of the same coin.  But just the act of pulling up or pulling across itself doesn't create or reduce the force.

• Like 1