Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JCon

Cages

Hello all,

Unfortunately moving to that phase in my “career” where I’m going to put a cage on. I’ve hit double digits in stitches on my head from hockey and it’s just not worth the risk for me anymore to just be sporting a visor. 

I see they make those flat bars now, which look okay but curious if anyone has an opinion of which cages have the best visibility. I know it’ll be an adjustment regardless but I’d rather try to make the transition as seamless as possible. 

Not sure how I feel about a clear mask due to scratches/fog but open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

I've used flat and round and honestly once you're on the ice you don't notice any difference.  The biggest factor I've found is where the horizontal bars lineup with your eyes... I've had some cages I couldn't use because the bar ended up right in front of my eyes, and others that are perfect.  I'm currently using a couple old Jofa bubble cages but I also love the Bauer Profile II cages, they have a nice shape that's not too close to the face and fit my face well (the Profile III fits way different and sits much closer to your face, I hated it).  I prefer a white or grey cage since I find I tend to notice black more when I'm not trying to (the oreo style ones are great, white inside and black outside).

Also remember that cage size and helmet size isn't the same, some people have longer faces and some shorter so if you can go to a store and sort of try them on that would be a good idea.  I wear a large Bauer Profile II cage (which fits smaller than a CCM large but bigger than a CCM medium), and have worn them on small CCM V08's, small CCM 910's, and a medium Bauer IMS9.

• Like 1

If you can find one, I’m a huge fan of the Reakt titanium cage. Had to size up from the profile ii size so it was long enough, but much preferred it over the CCM titanium cage. Been using the Reakt cage for 4-5 years at this point with various Bauer and CCM helmets 

I have the CCM bubble (FV1) and I can’t ever go back to a cage. If I remember to wipe it off before hitting the ice I have this moment where my brain is doubting whether I have any protection in front of my face. Vision is amazing. Fog has only occurred once on the bench and it was gone in 15 seconds. It’s worth it to me to have perfect visibility and full protection, so if it gets overrun by scratches eventually I’ll certainly buy a new one.

Thanks for the responses guys, I might take my helmet to the store and check out some of the cages mentioned and see how they fit. I’ve made the mistake of buying some equipment online without seeing it in person and was disappointed. 

I might actually be due for a new helmet soon too, I have an old CCM, not even sure what model it is anymore 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Westside said:

If you can find one, I’m a huge fan of the Reakt titanium cage. Had to size up from the profile ii size so it was long enough, but much preferred it over the CCM titanium cage. Been using the Reakt cage for 4-5 years at this point with various Bauer and CCM helmets 

I have one of these also but don't wear it, I don't like the way it looks lol, the shape is different than the Profile II and it sits closer to the face.  I have issues 🤦‍♂️🤣  I have 2 Jofa bubble cages now on my helmets and in storage I have 3 Profile II's, 1 Profile III, and one Reakt titanium, I also had an FV1 for a minute but returned it since it was too small (height wise was too short) and had a Bauer fishbowl I tried out after covid but hated it, fishbowls just aren't for me lol.  I may have some issues when it comes to trying gear lol

39 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I have one of these also but don't wear it, I don't like the way it looks lol, the shape is different than the Profile II and it sits closer to the face.  I have issues 🤦‍♂️🤣  I have 2 Jofa bubble cages now on my helmets and in storage I have 3 Profile II's, 1 Profile III, and one Reakt titanium, I also had an FV1 for a minute but returned it since it was too small (height wise was too short) and had a Bauer fishbowl I tried out after covid but hated it, fishbowls just aren't for me lol.  I may have some issues when it comes to trying gear lol

2023 Bauer will be introducing a new titanium cage with the Profile shape. 

• Like 3

Love my RE-ATK Titanium cage. I've had a few instances where I expected the cage to be damaged and not so much as a scratch. Vision wise, it's fine. I don't even notice the bars. If it's something you focus on, you'll never get used to it. 

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

For me, the CCM Fitlite Titanium large fits my helmet and face better than the Reakt, but those were both great cages (I've tried both, but sold off the Reakt and picked up a couple CCM Fitlite titanium cages). It's too bad those were discontinued as the titanium cages are lighter than steel cages and don't rust. Those two cages also had the flat bars.

It's great to hear that Bauer is coming out with a new Titanium cage. I doubt I'll need a new cage anytime soon, but it's nice to know they'll be an easier to find option if something happens to one of my Fitlite titanium cages. 

Edited by althoma1

1 hour ago, PBH said:

2023 Bauer will be introducing a new titanium cage with the Profile shape. 

Looking forward to this! Preferred the fit of the profile ii years ago when I used them. Have gotten used to the reakt after sizing up but will definitely want to try out the new design when they release it 

I'll cast another vote for the Bauer Re-akt Titanium. Started wearing it at the start of the 2020-21 winter season and the adjustment coming from a visor was minimal to say the least. I think it's the weight reduction when compared to non-titanium cages that helped the transition quite a bit. 

The CCM titanium in a large was the only one that fit right because it was longer than the REAKT cage. For reference I wear a medium helmet and a large cage. The REAKT is lighter but it never worked for me… Now if Bauer comes out with a titanium cage in the profile shape then I’ll pick one up as I‘ve been using my last two cages and the chin cup is starting to get really beat up… Is there any replacememt chin cup that would fit the CCM titanium cage? I haven’t been able to find any that fit right.

• Like 1

I had the same experience with the sizing of the Reakt vs. Fitlite Titanium. The Fitlite in large was longer and wider and fit my face and helmet better. I haven't attempted to change the chin cup on mine, but hope someone else can answer that for both of us. 

Been wanting to replace the OEM cage on my Cascade M11 helmet, helmet and cage are both Mediums. Saw earlier in the thread that a new Bauer Titanium was coming in 2023, any updates on that? If not, the Profile lll in grey looks like it might get the nod.

3 hours ago, beedee said:

Been wanting to replace the OEM cage on my Cascade M11 helmet, helmet and cage are both Mediums. Saw earlier in the thread that a new Bauer Titanium was coming in 2023, any updates on that? If not, the Profile lll in grey looks like it might get the nod.

I would go to a store with your helmet and see what size cage works best for your face since they all run a but different.  You can proib just hold it up to your helmet and place on your chin without actually attaching it to check the size.  Personally a large Bauer works for me, CCM med is too small and CCM large too big... just be like Goldilocks and find what works best lol (oh and for reference my helmets are size small, helmet size and cage size have nothing to do with one another).

On 3/15/2023 at 3:13 PM, beedee said:

Catalogs can be found here:

• Like 1

It's weird, I actually have a Profile III and it's listed as "Titanium" but I think that's just the color description.  I picked it up last year and didn't realize the shape was so different than the Profile II and I hate it lol, never worn it because I can't stand the look (it's closer to the Reakt shape than the Profile II) and it fits slightly different than the Profile II that I'm so used to.