Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorBarDownski

Jetspeed boot cutting ankle

I tried dr scholls gel pads alone and it didn’t help my situation, then I layered some stick tape ontop of the gel pad and still no difference. This is only happening to my right ankle, no issues on my left whatsoever. I recently got these custom ft4 pro skates couple months ago, first 10 sessions on these skates I wasn’t having any issues until just two weeks ago the cutting started. I’m on the ice 3-4 times a week and the cutting is getting worse. I’m thinking to Lace up with a sponge on the ankle area inside the boot. Will this do the trick ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 455-BB688-59-DD-41-D0-91-B4-0-A6-EF5-F2-3-F61869-B-47-A0-4712-85-EB-AE9006618-D5

When I'm doing a lot of edging drills, with lots of reps, I get the same rubbing. To address it, I added some felt padding. It's made from a cut up felt insole that I got from the dollar store. I use double sided velcro tape to attach it, so I can take it out and/or reposition.

Before, when I was experimenting with the padding, I simply taped it onto my leg over my sock using sock tape. I ran the tape once around the ankle and then down under my foot and back up. That last part is important so the padding doesn't move upward and fall out. 

Another trick I'd use, when the rubbing wasn't so bad, was to put a piece of duct tape over my skin on that area. It'd protect the skin from blistering. Though if you've got some hair down there, you'll have to deal with the consequences of removing the duct tape after.

Any ways, here are some pics. 

jaKKwV5.jpg

44D7B9T.jpg

Edited by puckpilot

I think most of the time this is caused by 2 things: the skate being too tall in the ankle cuff, combined with the curvature of your leg (think bow legged). Ski boots, which come up high on the leg, have an adjustment to change this angle called canting adjustment. Unfortunately, skates do not. The only way I've found to take care of this problem is to rebake the skate, take a pair of pliers or similar to manually bend the cuff away from ankle (you can cover boot cuff with a towel as to not damage the skate). It only needs to be moved a couple mm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

I think most of the time this is caused by 2 things: the skate being too tall in the ankle cuff, combined with the curvature of your leg (think bow legged). Ski boots, which come up high on the leg, have an adjustment to change this angle called canting adjustment. Unfortunately, skates do not. The only way I've found to take care of this problem is to rebake the skate, take a pair of pliers or similar to manually bend the cuff away from ankle (you can cover boot cuff with a towel as to not damage the skate). It only needs to be moved a couple mm.

Did this on my Grafs years ago.  I skate with the top eyelet un-used, so that helped allow me to do this.  I just baked the skate again, used a pair of pliers with some paper towels folded up on the teeth of the pliers and gently bent the top of the skate cuff outward by a few millimeters while it was nice and warm and held it there for a few minutes while it cooled.  I think i did it gently two or three times to get it how i wanted, never had an issue since.

Edited by noupf

On 10/14/2022 at 2:58 AM, puckpilot said:

When I'm doing a lot of edging drills, with lots of reps, I get the same rubbing. To address it, I added some felt padding. It's made from a cut up felt insole that I got from the dollar store. I use double sided velcro tape to attach it, so I can take it out and/or reposition.

Before, when I was experimenting with the padding, I simply taped it onto my leg over my sock using sock tape. I ran the tape once around the ankle and then down under my foot and back up. That last part is important so the padding doesn't move upward and fall out. 

Another trick I'd use, when the rubbing wasn't so bad, was to put a piece of duct tape over my skin on that area. It'd protect the skin from blistering. Though if you've got some hair down there, you'll have to deal with the consequences of removing the duct tape after.

Any ways, here are some pics. 

jaKKwV5.jpg

44D7B9T.jpg

Not worried about hair but peeling off the scabs when taking the duct tape off..ouch.

1 hour ago, ProfessorBarDownski said:

Yeah but that’s a Bauer thing 

CCM doesn’t call theirs comfort edge but they still have their own equivalent of that feature right? They’re referred to as “oversized ankle pads” in IW’s review video (@ 2:04):